NMLCreator: An unofficial IDE for creating NewGRFs with NML

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Donald Duck
Engineer
Engineer

NMLCreator: An unofficial IDE for creating NewGRFs with NML

Post by Donald Duck »

I've created NMLCreator, which is an IDE for creating NewGRFs with NML. NMLCreator is available for Windows and Linux. It has the following useful features:
  • A "Compile" button which calls the NML compiler, so you don't need to run it from the command line. On Windows, the official NML compiler is installed together with NMLCreator, so you don't need to install it manually. On Linux, though, you need to install the NML compiler manually, but when you have done so, NMLCreator will run it automatically when you press the "Compile" button.
  • NMLCreator will automatically apply the correct palette to your sprites, so you don't need to worry about doing it manually. If you edit your sprites in NMLCreator's built-in sprite editor, the NMLCreator will automatically save them with the correct palette. If you edit them in a third party image editor, NMLCreator will automatically apply the correct palette before compiling.
  • NMLCreator has syntax highlighting for NML and LNG files.
  • When you use NMLCreator to create a new LNG file, the correct grflangid for the language in question is added automatically so you don't need to look it up every time you add a new translation.
See here for more information about how to install and use NMLCreator.

Here are direct links for downloading and installing NMLCreator: If you have a specific question about how to install or use NMLCreator that isn't answered in the help page, you can ask it here.

You can submit bug reports or feature requests for NMLCreator on the Github issues page. If you know how to fix the bug or program your feature request, you can also submit a pull request. Note that I'm not responsible for programming the official NML compiler, so bug reports about the compiler itself (not related to NMLCreator's user interface) go here.

Edit: Added some screenshots:

Last edited by Donald Duck on 09 Apr 2021 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

Re: NMLCreator: An unofficial IDE for creating NewGRFs with NML

Post by kamnet »

I downloaded and ran the Windows installer, it installed, and I'm getting this error at launch:

NMLCreator.exe - System Error
The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem.

The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem.

The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem.

I checked the documentation and didn't see anything about this, I apologize if I glanced over it and missed it. Is there an additional package that needs to be installed first?
Donald Duck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Donald Duck »

Thanks for letting me know. For some reason the windeployqt tool didn't add these DLL files automatically. I added them manually so if you download and run the installer again it should work now. If not, let me know.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote: 09 Apr 2021 05:03 The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.DLL was not found.
try installing https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145
rexxars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rexxars »

This sounds great! I'm on a Mac, so can't give it a try - any chance you could post a screenshot or two? A picture speaks a thousand words, and all :D
Espen Hovlandsdal
espen.codes | @rexxars

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”