Improved town name generation(?)

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

yazalo
Engineer
Engineer

Improved town name generation(?)

Post by yazalo »

Ok, so this should be a slightly more intelligent question than my previous one...
I'm thinking about NewGRFs for generating town names. Is it true that they can only generate them completely randomly? I think it would be better if we could make these names dependent on the town population, or on the is_city parameter.
I'm probably not the first to come up with this, so this option may already be available, but I haven't seen it used in any xxxxx-Town-Names NewGRF, so I thought: Hey, it's possible that such an option doesn't exist.
Should I write a request on GitHub to implement this kind of feature, or is it not possible? (Or does it already exist)?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Improved town name generation(?)

Post by jfs »

NewGRF town names don't have any way to select based on properties like that, no, and as far as I can tell there isn't any easy opening in the specification that would allow extending it either, to allow testing for that.

(Also, what does it mean to select town name based on population? Does the name change when the town grows then?)
yazalo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yazalo »

OK, but that would be a good possibility ;)
jfs wrote: 21 Feb 2021 10:18 (Also, what does it mean to select town name based on population? Does the name change when the town grows then?)
I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Poland the names of small villages are different from the names of towns or cities.
It would be possible to "sort" these names, so that the right names are assigned to the right size. But if this is not possible, I have no more questions :)
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

What should happen when a small town grows into a large one? Should its name be changed?
yazalo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yazalo »

odisseus wrote: 22 Feb 2021 05:10 What should happen when a small town grows into a large one? Should its name be changed?
No, the name would be permanent, fixed at the beginning of the game

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”