Compiling NFO files using nmlc

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Compiling NFO files using nmlc

Post by isaacrdc »

Hi,
I have read that nmlc can compile NFO files, but I don't know how to do it. I would like to know what is the format of the file (nfo) when compiling with nmlc, and how to use the the makefile system in nfo.

Edit: It is not possible to compile NFO files using nmlc

I am not interested using GRFCODEC and m4nfo, because I am using Android to compile grfs. This is possible using the free app called "Pydroid 3" (not advertising), this is like a regular Python IDE , you can add libraries using pip and edit and compile on the go using my phone, but with some limitations (again not advertising). I know this is unconventional, but if there is a way to use GRFCODEC in Android, will you please tell me.

These are my questions when using nmlc to compile NFO files:
  • Is it (compiling NFO) similar to compiling nml files (via nmlc)?
  • How?
  • What is the code format?
  • How to setup this using the makefile system of planetmaker?

And some tips when doing it will help.
Last edited by isaacrdc on 09 Nov 2020 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Fromerly known as Alon
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Compiling NFO files using nmlc

Post by Eddi »

Alon wrote: 09 Nov 2020 11:10 Hi,
I have read that nmlc can compile NFO files, but I don't know how to do it. I would like to know what is the format of the file (nfo) when compiling with nmlc, and how to use the the makefile system in nfo.
no. nmlc can output NFO files, but it cannot read them.
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

Eddi wrote: 09 Nov 2020 13:27 no. nmlc can output NFO files, but it cannot read them.
Ah, a misread. Now I can live in a box, just kidding.

I'll just find a way to run GRFCODEC in Android using some third party apps.
Fromerly known as Alon
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alon wrote: 09 Nov 2020 16:41 I'll just find a way to run GRFCODEC in Android using some third party apps.
Any particular reason you want to edit in NFO and not NML?
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

kamnet wrote: 09 Nov 2020 18:02 Any particular reason you want to edit in NFO and not NML?
Well, the reason is making a railway station grf can only be done using NFO. There are many resources to learn coding in NFO, but I don't have a personal computer. I just want to explore and experience coding NFO before buying a PC next year.
Fromerly known as Alon
UnicycleBloke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by UnicycleBloke »

Alon wrote: 10 Nov 2020 05:07 Well, the reason is making a railway station grf can only be done using NFO.
You might want to consider YAGL. This is theoretically equivalent to human-readable NFO.

Full disclosure: I wrote it a while back, but am not aware of any serious users. It works pretty well, but likely still has a few wrinkles. kamnet, wallyweb and one or two others have had a play with it - thank you, all. Development has languished in recent months, but I would be delighted to assist with a project that cannot (yet) be done in NML.

EDIT: Don't know about the Android requirement. The tool is in C++ but compiles for Linux or Windows...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

M4 and grfcodec are written in C/C++ as well. And exactly this seems to be the problem.

regards
Michael

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”