NML 0.5.3 released 15th September 2020

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: NML 0.5.0 released 26th April 2020

Post by 2TallTyler »

For what it's worth, I think the development and maintenance of NML is one of the most important projects to happen during my relatively short time (<5 years) playing OpenTTD. The game is a stable base for expanded content for NewGRFs which extend the game dramatically from its original function, and NML opens up development of this content to a broad group of users (including me) who would otherwise be scared off by NFO and other less user-friendly development tools. There is no shortage of creativity or passion being applied to better this game, often by people with no software development experience.

The flip side of this democratization is that newer users with less experience may not understand or appreciate the chore of maintaining software and keeping users happy despite necessary changes. Some may perceive NewGRF development as easy and — without trying it themselves — make suggestions or demands of NewGRF creators without realizing how much time and effort it would take to implement their ideas, if they're even possible. Less common on TT-Forums, but something I regularly see on Reddit are suggestions to "pester the devs to add feature X." This is likely a behavior learned from commercial games where paid developers solicit more input from players.

OpenTTD is a free game. We don't "deserve" NML, trunk updates, patchpacks, FIRS Extreme or other NewGRFs, Wikis, or TT-Forums, because we have not paid for any of those things. They are created and maintained by people expecting nothing in return. Maintaining NML seems to be a thankless job, but we should all be thanking you and everyone else involved. Thank you. :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NML 0.5.0 released 26th April 2020

Post by FLHerne »

0.5.3 (2020-09-15)
This release primarily restores legacy industry properties and vars which were removed in NML 0.5.0. This is done for compatibility, so that older industry grfs can still be compiled with NML 0.5.3.

See the NML 0.5.0 changelog entry for a list of the legacy industry properties and vars that were removed, and are restored in NML 0.5.3. A warning will be shown when these are used, and they may be removed again in some future version.
  • Change: Show more info in `nmlc --version
  • Change: Reintroduce industry property 0.4 syntax for compatibility
  • Fix: Rounding errors for some speed values (#147)
Windows executable: nml-standalone-0.5.3-win64.zip
Source tarball: nml-0.5.3.tar.gz

As usual, the latest version is also available through `pip`.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NML 0.5.3 released 15th September 2020

Post by Eddi »

applause was cancelled due to covid restrictions
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Maybe I'm being very stupid or unobservant but what python version does this require? ((I just picked up v3.9.6 so that should be ok))

I've been sans-internet for 17 months and I've missed so much... (nothing suspicious, it's just the local library has been shut for that long...I don't need to say why!)

Oh, and other 'dependables' ? I have to download them and then transfer them to my home computer...primitive, I know.

Oh, and THANK YOU for doing this.

--------------------------
Oops, forgot the golden rule...RTFM.
Ok, so I just need to try and put this all together.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

3iff wrote: 10 Aug 2021 09:09 Maybe I'm being very stupid or unobservant but what python version does this require? ((I just picked up v3.9.6 so that should be ok))
Python 3. Your 3.9 should be fine.

NML is much faster for me with PyPy3 compared to Python 3.8, but that's a complication you might not want.

Other deps are Pillow, PLY. I install with pip. There are some older instructions for installation here https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... ng_started
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Thanks.

I tried it on Sunday and installed Python3.9.6 with no problems. It then took a while to work out how to install ply and pillow but eventually I had success.

Tried compiling my old newgrf and it worked perfectly (if I ignore the 1000's of warnings), but I'm absolutely delighted. I'm now experimenting with SPI v2 where my first change was to have a food processor with 5 inputs which I got working after a while.

I'm now converting SPI 1.4 to SPI 2 so it compiles with the new NMLC - just a 1000 or so warnings to repair and then I can start messing with the industry set.

Thank you once again.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”