Vehicle ageing effects

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Vehicle ageing effects

Post by Redirect Left »

Hi
I'm wondering, is there currently any way of altering a units sprite set as the vehicle gets older. For example, as a vehicle ages, replace the sprite set with one where the colors are less vivid, and obviously tarnished with dirt.
Also, can it be done based upon the last service, so instead of 'ageing' you have to take a vehicle to a depot to essentially wash it, and it comes out look all sparkly with vivid color sets again, instead of a slowly getting more darker and greyer as things 'get dirty' or 'get old'.

If this isn't possible currently, is there any realistic way of implementing it myself, as I think it may be a nice little effect, and an instant notice of "this vehicle needs replacing or servicing" instead of going to the vehicle info sheets.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Vehicle ageing effects

Post by PikkaBird »

Redirect Left wrote:I'm wondering, is there currently any way of altering a units sprite set as the vehicle gets older. For example, as a vehicle ages, replace the sprite set with one where the colors are less vivid, and obviously tarnished with dirt.
Also, can it be done based upon the last service, so instead of 'ageing' you have to take a vehicle to a depot to essentially wash it, and it comes out look all sparkly with vivid color sets again, instead of a slowly getting more darker and greyer as things 'get dirty' or 'get old'.
Yes. Both age_in_days and date_of_last_service are variables that exist.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Hmm. I will have to figure out to how use them to switch to an entire different set of sprites in the .grf then. I'm still a bit rusty, as i only do little custom things for my local games as an when i think of something i'd rather like.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Redirect Left wrote:Hi
I'm wondering, is there currently any way of altering a units sprite set as the vehicle gets older. For example, as a vehicle ages, replace the sprite set with one where the colors are less vivid, and obviously tarnished with dirt.

If this isn't possible currently, is there any realistic way of implementing it myself, as I think it may be a nice little effect, and an instant notice of "this vehicle needs replacing or servicing" instead of going to the vehicle info sheets.
It can be done even in NML, as far as i can tell the Dutch Trainset 2 is the best example. There's also the CFF set, but i don't know if it's coded in NFO or NML.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

acs121 wrote:It can be done even in NML
Yes, hence me referencing the NML variable names.

In the case of "based upon the last service", though, you should probably bear in mind that most "advanced" OpenTTD players (ie the ones who use NewGRFs) play with breakdowns and vehicle servicing turned off.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:
acs121 wrote:It can be done even in NML
Yes, hence me referencing the NML variable names.

In the case of "based upon the last service", though, you should probably bear in mind that most "advanced" OpenTTD players (ie the ones who use NewGRFs) play with breakdowns and vehicle servicing turned off.
Then it's better to use age_in_days. It's used by the Dutch Trainset.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, you could also detect whether servicing is disabled and flip between the two variables
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Eddi wrote:you could also detect whether servicing is disabled
No, I don't think you can do that in NewGRF.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, a rework of the way settings are accessible is quite overdue, i guess.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It's one of the effects I absolutely love in Transport Fever so it'd certainly be nice to have, if it can be made to work visually.

Although Pikka is right, I do play without servicing :mrgreen:

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”