NewGRF question/help

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SkullKrixzz
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF question/help

Post by SkullKrixzz »

So after playing in a multiplayer game with a trainset that has running sounds, i have grown even more disappointed with the GRF's i use that run in pure silence, so my question is:

is it possible to have a GRF to add running sounds to others? (both road and trainsets)

Since i dont use this site too often i apologize if this is in the wrong spot, if there is a more fitting location i will repost there instead.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: NewGRF question/help

Post by Gwyd »

Funny you should ask that, since I've been trying to work on a sound add-on for the NARS 2cc add-on. As far as I can deduce, the answer is no, in NML. I'll come back with technical details later for those who are interested, showing the experiment I did.
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

Yes but it's not trivial.

viewtopic.php?t=70699#p1122701
planetmaker wrote:Define the NewGRF by ID which you want to override: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... er_NewGRFs . Then you need to know the IDs of the vehicles used in the set you want to override and re-define those properties you're interested in changing.
EDIT: but if you plan on changing callbacks, you need to re-define *all* callbacks of that vehicle. You cannot simply add one.
It seems much easier to get the source for the set you want to add sound to and hack that.

Edit: sorry for the misinformation, see Michael Blunk's response below.
Last edited by rowdog on 28 Jan 2018 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

SkullKrixzz wrote: is it possible to have a GRF to add running sounds to others? (both road and trainsets)
This is not possible. You can´t add/change custom sounds (action11 / CB33) by "overriding" destination newgrf properties by another newgrf. You´ll have to modify the source of the newgrf in question.

regards
Michael
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

michael blunck wrote:
SkullKrixzz wrote: This is not possible. You can´t add/change custom sounds (action11 / CB33) by "overriding" destination newgrf properties by another newgrf. You´ll have to modify the source of the newgrf in question.
Isn't it possible in case of road vehicle newgrfs? I found strange behaviour/bug maybe: I defined custom sounds for tram newgrf and truck/buses newgrf, and other one inherited the first one sounds - truck were ringing etc.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
SkullKrixzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SkullKrixzz »

michael blunck wrote:
SkullKrixzz wrote: is it possible to have a GRF to add running sounds to others? (both road and trainsets)
This is not possible. You can´t add/change custom sounds (action11 / CB33) by "overriding" destination newgrf properties by another newgrf. You´ll have to modify the source of the newgrf in question.

regards
Michael

but if there are no sounds there at all, does that really still count as "overriding"?
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

You really can add/override sounds. You just need to replace all callbacks, as I found out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”