OTTD color palette and its restrions

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

OTTD color palette and its restrions

Post by WolfRamXx »

Hello, ive been messing around sprites for OTTD for some weeks now. I tried making own sprites from scratch, editing original sprites as well as editing sprites from others, but im unable to turn them in to something id like. I believe its due to the DOS palette, which im using, as its quite strict with not that many colors and shades.Id like to know if there is possibility of making own palette or if there is "official" palette with more colors and shades all-ready made. The sprites are not gonna be used for graphics (not any time soon, but maybe in future?) but i still want to keep them in limits of OTTD possibilities.

Big thanks for any answers. Have nice day :mrgreen:
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: OTTD color palette and its restrions

Post by Erato »

The DOS palette is the official palette I'm afraid. (There's also the Windows palette which is identical for all practical purposes.) In my opinion, the restrictions can provide a nice challenge, but I can totally see how it would be somewhat frustrating.
The alternative to using a palette is making use of 32bpp. It requires a small amount of additional code (NML docs), but then you can use any colour you'd want. If any colour you want is a bit much, you can also choose a few colours you want to use, and stick to those.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

I see... I dint expect there would be any better palette honestly, other wise i would all-redy found it.
So il just make own palette with colors i need. Later on when i would want to use the sprites with custom colors, the colors would have to by registered for the game to load them. Or i understand it wrong?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, you can either use the existing palette, or switch to 32bpp mode, where you can use *all colours*. in 32bpp mode you can then use whatever tools your image editor has to put in colours, whether it is palette or free...
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Ok, i can work with that (i hope...). Thank you verry much both for your help. :bow:
Have nice day, WolfRam :))

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”