Missing Names / Conflicting grf's

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SuedKAT
Engineer
Engineer

Missing Names / Conflicting grf's

Post by SuedKAT »

Hello,

Since it was ages ago I decided to go over all the grf's currently available on BaNaNaS, GRFCrawler and various other sites such as for example the remnants of the TTD Urban Renewal and such. I found quite a few "new" things I wanted to try, however I ran into a problem:
This is 2CC's Tram grf (which I love), as you can see some of the names are missing, this is caused by me now also using Industrial Stations Renewal. I'm only guessing but I think the ID's for the different parts in the station set is conflicting with the tram set.

If I change the load order and put Industrial Stations Renewal at the bottom it don't work at all, if I put it on top of the tram set the above happens, however the trams still seems to work as they should as do the station set. This have resulted in me having to remove quite a few grf's I otherwise wanted to combine with others, mostly tram sets for some weird reason.

Is there any easy way around this? I'm quite experienced in coding, but I haven't had a look at the NML NFO coding for grf's, so I have no clue how the backend looks or works, but am I correct in thinking that if I fiddle around some with the ID's my problems will be gone or is it more advanced/time consuming?

// SuedKAT
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Missing Names / Conflicting grf's

Post by frosch »

These kind of IDs cannot conflict.
The problem is likely that you have reached the limit of NewGrf defined strings in OpenTTD, which iirc is around 6k.
It's nof easy to raise that limit.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
SuedKAT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SuedKAT »

I see, then I guess I need to be more picky on what to keep and what to discard as "not needed by me". However I still find this strange since if I for example add the xUSSR railway set without most of the larger sets I got loaded now the same thing happens, but if I remove it I can add multiple train sets, AV 8,9, WAS (the nightly build), Planeset, FISH, NewShips and more sets without any issues and I'd imagine that just WAS is "larger" than xUSSR.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

xussr set is probably one of the biggest, if not THE biggest railroad set out there. And it's more intricately engineered, thus uses more strings per engine than done for WAS per plane.
SuedKAT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SuedKAT »

I see, that explains a lot then, time to remove "unneeded" stuff for me then, thanks for the replies.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”