Contol over pavement sprite by the houses

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Contol over pavement sprite by the houses

Post by luxtram »

I know that an object can create an overlay over the roads.

Can the same be done by the houses?

I would like to create house specific pavements.

Say, there is food cart in front of the restaurant. Or driveway in front of a private house. Such things.

I would also like to do something more naughty - extend the houses till actual road. Idea would be to simulate streets of the towns with medieval history where the streets are rather narrow and perhaps create different pavement on those streets.

I am afraid that this topic belongs to the suggestions section, but maybe I am mistaken.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Contol over pavement sprite by the houses

Post by Eddi »

i'm pretty sure houses have the same options as objects in this matter, but it will be more glitch-prone since the player has less control over positioning of houses.

so i'd advise against trying to do this with "dumb" overlays.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

The OpenGFX Mars set has overlays for houses to display skybridges over roads, connecting two houses visually. AFAIK the overlay cannot detect if a house is built on the other side of the road actually, I just tested this with the most recent push version, and it must be using some more intelligent detection methods, since walkways are only being drawn when there's a house to connect to. It also appears to limit itself to specific houses (tall habitats), since when it's a smaller house, they don't get drawn.

There was also a house set around here which managed to orient the houses towards the roads. I can't recall which, will need to go looking again. Perhaps these two tricks could be combined to that end?
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Kalen wrote:The OpenGFX Mars set has overlays for houses to display skybridges over roads, connecting two houses visually. AFAIK the overlay cannot detect if a house is built on the other side of the road actually, I just tested this with the most recent push version, and it must be using some more intelligent detection methods, since walkways are only being drawn when there's a house to connect to. It also appears to limit itself to specific houses (tall habitats), since when it's a smaller house, they don't get drawn.
This is indeed very cool.
Kalen wrote:There was also a house set around here which managed to orient the houses towards the roads. I can't recall which, will need to go looking again. Perhaps these two tricks could be combined to that end?
Actually many sets do this. Perhaps what you have in mind was British one, but also Swedish one does this and Polish one, what is good, as it is open source and in NML.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I have a distinct screenshot I recall that I still couldn't find, but apparently that's a commonplace feature so it's no matter. :)

Well, the original method in OpenGFX Mars detected roads and drew the overlays on them, though now it seems to be detecting the houses instead, and the overlays are independent of the roads. That original method might be what you're looking for, if the overlays can be drawn so as to cover the roads.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”