where and how to find 32bpp NewGRFs?

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

where and how to find 32bpp NewGRFs?

Post by MoonKid »

I am still confused about the "graphics" words used here.

I am using "zBase" because of the higher quality graphic/resolution.

When I try to add new custom sets ("NewGRF graphic sets") I ran into the situation to get low-res graphic mixed with high-res. Where can I find high-res addons. I can not see in the names of the sets which type of resolution they support.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: where to find zBase sets?

Post by planetmaker »

Yes, it is not apparent which NewGRFs provide 32bpp sprites and which not. It's mostly a matter of try-and-see.

https://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32bpp_graphics has a list of NewGRFs which support 32bpp - but it's not necessarily comprehensive or up2date. Help keeping it updated is welcome.
MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Re: where and how to find 32bpp NewGRFs?

Post by MoonKid »

Some of them are not available with in-game download.

There should be an extra categorie for 32bpp graphics. The keywords are not enough because not all packages using keywords and it is not possible to filter only by keyword in the search.

btw: How do I delete a downloaded package? I see no button for that.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MoonKid wrote:Some of them are not available with in-game download.

There should be an extra categorie for 32bpp graphics. The keywords are not enough because not all packages using keywords and it is not possible to filter only by keyword in the search.

btw: How do I delete a downloaded package? I see no button for that.
How would a separate category then work better then keywords? Who would then categorize things and how and how would it be better? Who could do it better than the authors themselves?

In order to delete a package navigate in your file system to the place OpenTTD stores files and delete it; to avoid pointless repeated downloads we have no such ingame functionality; you'll be on of the biggest NewGRF hoarder, if all the space OpenTTD files use is worth more than 10ct in todays HDD prices.
MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MoonKid »

planetmaker wrote:How would a separate category then work better then keywords? Who would then categorize things and how and how would it be better? Who could do it better than the authors themselves?
More authors do more mistakes. I don't know how the content comes into the in-game download area. But I imagine a central instance who decide what is ok and what is not.
This instance only accept graphic packages when they have a specific catagorie.
This instance could take care about older versions of a package, too. Some packages have multiple instances there.
planetmaker wrote:In order to delete a package navigate in your file system to the place OpenTTD stores files and delete it; to avoid pointless repeated downloads we have no such ingame functionality; you'll be on of the biggest NewGRF hoarder, if all the space OpenTTD files use is worth more than 10ct in todays HDD prices.
I understand the "repeated downloads" argument. But you could check that ingame. Remember the downloads. Let the user wait (e.g. 10sec * repititions) to start a download or something like that.
Deleting packages is not about saving space. It is about doing housekeeping - killing none-32bbp packages for example.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

central instance in an opensource game? nope. Not how it works or how it is meant to be.

look into the forums for 32bpp graphics, check the threads, download the stuff.

Or:play in pixels as we love it :) more charm anyways ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I dunno if it makes sense considering this, but I was kinda thinking about the Steam Workshop - which isn't particularly impressive but has some good ideas, like collections - so how about allowing GRF lists to be uploaded? If someone wants to maintain a "my favorite 32bpp GRFs" list, well, he could do it.

Of course that could also be done in a wiki or something.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think it would be a good idea to start a "32bpp Graphics" category on BaNaNaS. It would help promote them, and as has already been pointed out many authors are bad at using keywords or descriptions to include that information. A clear category for them to tag will be much more beneficial.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”