I need intorduction to graphics :D

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

I need intorduction to graphics :D

Post by DerekCZ »

OK, so I just want to make some pretty simple graphic (let's call it mod, just for now plz) that adds 1 road vehicle. That's it. I already have some experience with game modding and coding (I made some mods for Minecraft or Factorio), but to start doing ANYTHING I have to see example. I am just not able to learn from tutorial (not patient enough). So, I need just quick intro, what tool should I use to create mod, but most importantly, I need to see simple example that I can reverse-engineer (that is my superpower). So, is there anyone that can help me out :D I saw some modding tools for OTTD, I downloaded them, but they are just too old. I just want to use something more relevant. Sincerely, SPolygon.

EDIT: Oh god, I clicked wrong section button :C sry
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: I need intorduction to graphics :D

Post by frosch »

⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

The 'examples' directory when downloading NML contains a working road-vehicle example.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
JeromWaarom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JeromWaarom »

As a fellow OpenTTD fan getting inot NewGRF development:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't have an examples directory in the nml binaries I downloaded.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

As far as I know, they are also included in the wiki page with the tutorial, just use those.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
JeromWaarom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JeromWaarom »

Yeah, I found those examples, thanks :D . I was just wondering why I didn't have an examples directory in my download.
placeholder signature until I have something better to show here
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

JeromWaarom wrote:Yeah, I found those examples, thanks :D . I was just wondering why I didn't have an examples directory in my download.
I guess they are not part of the download, but that might depend on where you download from. The zip-file from the DevZone does not contain the examples directory.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

I stalked around google and found Richard Wheeler's pixel tool (Google it). I just started properly using it today, and look what I made already.
PixelToolPng(8).png
PixelToolPng(8).png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
PixelToolPng(2).png
PixelToolPng(2).png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”