The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New currencies?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 pm 
Director
Director

Gwyd wrote:
Hang on, are you saying a multiplyer of less than one makes everything cost 0? I can see a use for this.

Not quite. The multipliers are just a visual thing for the player, everything has the same value internally regardless of whether the multiplier is x1, x50, or even x0. Setting the multiplier to 0 just means that everything reads as 0 on the screen, but it really still costs the same -- switch back to pounds and you'll see that the train you just bought still cost you £15,000 (or $30,000, etc).

agentw4b wrote:
Create a bitcoin :-)

I would very much have liked to, but in OTTD the value of 1 Bitcoin could never be more than £1, so that really defeats the purpose. You could do it very easily for TTDP but what would be the point, who would use it now?

What's that in my avatar? It's the Brighton & Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway - bonkers Victorian engineering!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

It would be nice if one or more developers decided to fix these issues.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:59 am 
Director
Director

It's not just the borked multipliers; there are also problems with the currency IDs, and if you attempt to overwrite the custom currency you can make OTTD crash. All that said, I haven't given up hope of doing something with this feature. :)

What's that in my avatar? It's the Brighton & Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway - bonkers Victorian engineering!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am 
Engineer
Engineer

And could not multipliers change daily according to the current currency rate?
Or according to historical charts.

Experimental games 01 (92.63.57.152:3979), Experimental games 02 (92.63.57.152:3879), Experimental games 03 (92.63.57.152:3779).
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
My newGRFs: ---

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm 
Director
Director

But how would you propose to update the multipliers on a daily basis? And what would be the benefit?

Anyway, I've coded up a grf. :) It's just a quick demo but it seems to work ok and may end up being a proper thing, but for now it replaces three of the default currencies with:

Indian Rupee (£1 x 86)
Philippine Peso (£1 x 68)
Thai Baht (£1 x 44)

Important note: new currencies will only be available in-game, they won't be shown in the main menu!

Since a couple of people seem vaguely interested perhaps you'd like to give it a go and let me know if it does anything weird.

Attachments:
alt_currencies.grf [784 Bytes]
Downloaded 16 times

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:23 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

PaulC wrote:
But how would you propose to update the multipliers on a daily basis? And what would be the benefit?

Anyway, I've coded up a grf. :) It's just a quick demo but it seems to work ok and may end up being a proper thing, but for now it replaces three of the default currencies with:

Indian Rupee (£1 x 86)
Philippine Peso (£1 x 68)
Thai Baht (£1 x 44)

Important note: new currencies will only be available in-game, they won't be shown in the main menu!

Since a couple of people seem vaguely interested perhaps you'd like to give it a go and let me know if it does anything weird.

hello
could you make a custom currency of 1 credit =6000 GBR

i want to have my numbers low
and this way i can play with an ancient unit called Talanta which was equal with 6000
so having 1 talanto in the ancient times it meant a lot of money

when i was playing the original game i started with japanese yen so i can feel rich with millions and as the game ws going on i was changing currency so the numbers will not grow too much

a currency bigger than the British pound would be so nice i could play the game again with small numbers

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:17 pm 
Director
Director

No, sorry. £1 x 1 is the lowest OTTD can go.