New currencies?

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

Re: New currencies?

Post by PaulC »

Gwyd wrote:Hang on, are you saying a multiplyer of less than one makes everything cost 0? I can see a use for this.
Not quite. The multipliers are just a visual thing for the player, everything has the same value internally regardless of whether the multiplier is x1, x50, or even x0. Setting the multiplier to 0 just means that everything reads as 0 on the screen, but it really still costs the same -- switch back to pounds and you'll see that the train you just bought still cost you £15,000 (or $30,000, etc).
agentw4b wrote:Create a bitcoin :-)
I would very much have liked to, but in OTTD the value of 1 Bitcoin could never be more than £1, so that really defeats the purpose. You could do it very easily for TTDP but what would be the point, who would use it now?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It would be nice if one or more developers decided to fix these issues.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

It's not just the borked multipliers; there are also problems with the currency IDs, and if you attempt to overwrite the custom currency you can make OTTD crash. All that said, I haven't given up hope of doing something with this feature. :)
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

And could not multipliers change daily according to the current currency rate?
Or according to historical charts.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

But how would you propose to update the multipliers on a daily basis? And what would be the benefit?

Anyway, I've coded up a grf. :) It's just a quick demo but it seems to work ok and may end up being a proper thing, but for now it replaces three of the default currencies with:

Indian Rupee (£1 x 86)
Philippine Peso (£1 x 68)
Thai Baht (£1 x 44)

Important note: new currencies will only be available in-game, they won't be shown in the main menu!

Since a couple of people seem vaguely interested perhaps you'd like to give it a go and let me know if it does anything weird.
Attachments
alt_currencies.grf
(784 Bytes) Downloaded 109 times
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

PaulC wrote:But how would you propose to update the multipliers on a daily basis? And what would be the benefit?

Anyway, I've coded up a grf. :) It's just a quick demo but it seems to work ok and may end up being a proper thing, but for now it replaces three of the default currencies with:

Indian Rupee (£1 x 86)
Philippine Peso (£1 x 68)
Thai Baht (£1 x 44)

Important note: new currencies will only be available in-game, they won't be shown in the main menu!

Since a couple of people seem vaguely interested perhaps you'd like to give it a go and let me know if it does anything weird.

hello
could you make a custom currency of 1 credit =6000 GBR

i want to have my numbers low
and this way i can play with an ancient unit called Talanta which was equal with 6000
so having 1 talanto in the ancient times it meant a lot of money

when i was playing the original game i started with japanese yen so i can feel rich with millions and as the game ws going on i was changing currency so the numbers will not grow too much

a currency bigger than the British pound would be so nice i could play the game again with small numbers
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

No, sorry. £1 x 1 is the lowest OTTD can go.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”