Problem with length new wagons

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Problem with length new wagons

Post by stefino_cz »

Hey everyone. I'm making a new graphics to OTTD and I have a problem with long wagons. If I have wagon with length +- 32px, it is OK - I'll set "shortering level" to 00 and all is OK. If I have shorter wagon I'll set shortering level to 01 02 ... But what if I have longer wagon? I have wagon with length 51px and there is a problem that two wagons are overlap. What can I do with this problem? In our Czech railroad set we have wagons with same length so there must be a way how to program it. Thanks :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem with length new wagons

Post by Wahazar »

You need articulated vehicle with invisible second part.
NML example here:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/pkp ... hpumn.pnml
There are some bridge clipping issues though.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

This is quite hard-level for me :D I'm not so good in program and only what can I do is rewriting nfo files. So this is the end for me :lol: :(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

stefino_cz wrote:This is quite hard-level for me :D I'm not so good in program and only what can I do is rewriting nfo files. So this is the end for me :lol: :(
Going beyond the 32px wagon or vehicle length is always tricky and bound to glitches, but NML could make it easier for you than NFO
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

Okay okay. I read some information about NML and in my case - if I'll set legth at "8" in NML, it will be OK? And second guestion - are there any tutorials how to make a new vehicle with NML file? I dont know what programs I have to use for program NML file, how the sprites has to look, what program I have to use to convert this all parts into the one file what can I put into the game - if it is the same principle like NFO, where I use grfcodec to make .grf from .nfo and .pcx.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

NML tutorial, it does make new vehicles in various forms
http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”