Cargoset for Maglev

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Number138
Engineer
Engineer

Cargoset for Maglev

Post by Number138 »

Hello,

I have a suggestion/question about a maglev cargoset. In one of my games I'm in 2040 and my cargo is running wild.
as you can see on this picture.

Know I'm wondering I anyone is thinking of making a maglev cargoset. Like the cargo on my goods, this are containerwagons with a load of 80 tons each and load in 2 times ( 50% and than 100%) really fast. But i like to have a faster and stronger engine so I can support the massive amount of cargo that needs to be delivered on the other side of the map. with a nice cargoset for the maglev this would be possible. anyone has an idea? I would like to here it.

Greetzz,
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Cargoset for Maglev

Post by planetmaker »

Proposal: use more than one engine per train.
Number138
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Number138 »

Nice of you to reply. but the engine I know use has 16.000 HP and a top speed of 300KM/H but I want more speed .
more engines aren't going to solve that.

And it will just be nice if maglev has more possibility's.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I may quote?
Number138 wrote:but I want more speed .
as opposed to your first posting
Number138 wrote:But i like to have a faster and stronger engine so I can support the massive amount of cargo
This basically gave me impression that you lack cargo carrying capacity or the power to pull away your long trains.

If you feel like, you can continue with the new monorail and maglev replacement set. Some sprites exists, but ... no really interested coder. Have a look at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/nmts/ The basics for everything are there.

If you're not interested in working for it you're totally off-topic in the "NewGRF Technical Discussions" forum.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

In order to transport all that cargo, what you need is not to increase the speed, but the flow. Therefore having a maximum speed of 300kmph is not a problem, as long as you provide enough power to get heavy trains to that speed rapidly. What you need are more trains and larger stations (and more lanes to prevent congestion). And longer trains will also help.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Number138
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Number138 »

Ok this are some nice tips, thanks for that.

But maybe I wasn't clear about it all. I thought it would be cool and also logic if your in 2050 that your transport of goods or steel could go in the maglev trains. after 2020 you have no technical progress and that is something I like to change. I want to program it my self but it is not really clear to me how and maybe some one already did it. so my question is: Is somebody making a grf for a new maglev set and if there is not, how do I do this?

thanks.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Check out the link in planetmaker's message. He has worked on a maglev set, but the project is lacking a coder (if I understand it correctly). If you are willing to help on that project, maybe it will eventually be complete.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The problem on this matter is that most people who do create all sorts of graphic sets value a bit of realisticness. And transporting cargo by maglev isn't.
Cargo maglevs is suggested before and as far as I know Lawton27 is the first to actually try and create something like that. Why did development stop (for now at least)? Possibly because a lack of real life examples to model after...
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

FooBar wrote:Why did development stop (for now at least)? Possibly because a lack of real life examples to model after...
Because the coder had a bit much to do :P
Member of the
ImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

DJ Nekkid wrote:... had ...
Does that mean?
Reading some recent posts from that coder, I think he will have much to do in the future as well :P
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

hehe... With some proper template creation i think this can be done *soon* tho :)

However, the dutchset is my current pri-two. Or one-and-a-half ish... The 2cc set needs to be finished tho :) The computer i used to code and stuff crashed a few days ago, and im waiting for a replacement. My wifes old laptop is barely good enough to surf the interwebs :) Not that codeing is very processor-demanding, but a 10-point-something inch screen kinda limits stuff :)

Got a brand new 2000€(ish) laptop incomeing in the mail soon :) (Clevo W860 if anyone were wondering)
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”