Drawing for New grf

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dante123
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Drawing for New grf

Post by Dante123 »

so i have been doing some reading on GRF.
now i was thinking of trying to make some easy house to start off. i guess this might be the easiest to try.
so here a few questions to start off with:

1. i read, the drawing of grf is done pixel by pixel by hand in a program like Paint, photoshop or gimp (or any other.) ?

2. i have experience with 3D cad drawing, is it possible to draw something in a program like that, and printscreen that ? those screenshots can be edited later on in PS or some right ? (any1 has experience with that ? )
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Drawing for New grf

Post by planetmaker »

Dante123 wrote: 1. i read, the drawing of grf is done pixel by pixel by hand in a program like Paint, photoshop or gimp (or any other.) ?

2. i have experience with 3D cad drawing, is it possible to draw something in a program like that, and printscreen that ? those screenshots can be edited later on in PS or some right ? (any1 has experience with that ? )
Both works and is done to my knowlege. It depends upon what you like and how you like to work. Important is not how you achieve a result, but that you have fun and that it looks good :-)
Vemarkis
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Drawing for New grf

Post by Vemarkis »

PikkaBird did the planes for AV8 with a 3d program first afaik, then touched up the results by hand. Though smaller sprites will almost always require doing things by hand.
Generally for drawing sprites programs like Paint, Photoshop, Gimp, and Paint shop pro have been used.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”