GRFcodec compile command

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

GRFcodec compile command

Post by lawton27 »

Hi just a quick question, If I where to decompile a grf using -d name.grf -p2

I need to know after I make modifications how to re-compile it with grf codec, I presume I need to specify the nfo path but what's the command?

Thanks,

Lawton27
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: GRFcodec compile command

Post by Zuu »

I have never used the grf (de)coding program, but have you tried with "--help", "-h", "-help", "/?" to see if the program have any inbuilt help function for the command line arguments?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Just tried, nothing.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

A quick google on "grfcodec command line arguments" got me to this page:
http://www.ttdpatch.net/grfcodec/

If you then search on that page for "command" you get to a section that describes (at the end of the section) different command line arguments to the program.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Code: Select all

grfcodec -e -p2 mytrainset
Member of the
ImageImage
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Just run grfcodec with no arguments for usage information ("-p2", particularly, won't do anything when encoding).
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

PikkaBird wrote:"-p2", particularly, won't do anything when encoding.
Really? According to the software itself it sets the palette to windows palette... I've always used it, and its always worked for me...

Attachments
grfcodec.PNG
grfcodec.PNG (45.93 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Member of the
ImageImage
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I believe there is meant to be a space between the "-p" and the "2".

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Zuu wrote:I have never used the grf (de)coding program, but have you tried with "--help", "-h", "-help", "/?" to see if the program have any inbuilt help function for the command line arguments?
lawton27 wrote:Just tried, nothing.
I call the LIE!

GRFCodec produces output with all four of those command line options. If you don't understand the output, then you didn't get "nothing"; you got something you don't understand.
DJ Nekkid wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:"-p2", particularly, won't do anything when encoding.
Really? According to the software itself ...
Consider, please, the possible meaning of the line that says something to the general effect of "options for decoding".
Lakie wrote:I believe there is meant to be a space between the "-p" and the "2".
I believe that not only does it work both ways, it is supposed to work both ways, and the POSIX specification actually requires that it work both ways.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”