Best GRF Maker

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

5245jah
Engineer
Engineer

Best GRF Maker

Post by 5245jah »

which program is the best and simpliest to create a GRF files? Pilz tell me :bow: :bow:
Youtube.com-Broadcast yourself
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Best GRF Maker

Post by mph »

ummm- well I think the simplest would probably be paint and notepad. you will also need grfcodec too http://www.ttdpatch.net/grfcodec/.

There isn't really a programme that will do it automatically and really easy. There is something called grfmaker, but despite its title it isn;'t an automatic grf maker. (It also isnt finished yet- although i think he source is available.)

All of the information about coding grfs with NFO is in the ttdpatch wiki http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... hicsSpecsi-
It is fairly tricky but if you follow the tutorials there and put a little bit of time in its not impossible. People here will be sure to help out.
previously known as daylight
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

mph wrote:ummm- well I think the simplest would probably be paint and notepad. you will also need grfcodec too http://www.ttdpatch.net/grfcodec/.

There isn't really a programme that will do it automatically and really easy. There is something called grfmaker, but despite its title it isn;'t an automatic grf maker. (It also isnt finished yet- although i think he source is available.)

All of the information about coding grfs with NFO is in the ttdpatch wiki http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... hicsSpecsi
But try it without the 'i' at the end: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... phicsSpecs
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

5245jah wrote:which program is the best and simpliest to create a GRF files? Pilz tell me :bow: :bow:
As mph said, the best thing is some text editor and graphics program.. I use GIMP and kwrite (being on linux platform). To check errors in nfo code, I think it's easiest to download nforenum. It's in Dalestan's signature.
There really isn't a good and quick way to make grfs, but if you try and get stuck, we'll certainly help you.
BTW, nice knowing an anonther Estonian here :)

madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

For notepad nfo editing, the NFOrenum helps you greatly. It corrects the format of your nfo files, and notices you about your mistakes in your nfo files :) An useful tool for hand made nfo-s. Thanks DaleStan for it :))
edit: Im too late lordazamath has already mentioned it:(
5245jah
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 5245jah »

OK, i've got GRF wizard, grf-codec, NFO Renum and GIMP.
So. now i can create GRF files?
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

You can.

Have you drawn some yet?
previously known as daylight
5245jah
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 5245jah »

mph wrote:Have you drawn some yet?
No, not yet...
lordazamath wrote:BTW, nice knowing an anonther Estonian here -
Me too :D
5245jah
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 5245jah »

Well, now i have drawn some, but, sorry i still can't make .nfo files to that
here's address- http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36326 . If you can, just help me.
I can tell you stats,if you want. :bow:
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

mph wrote:ummm- well I think the simplest would probably be paint and notepad. you will also need grfcodec too http://www.ttdpatch.net/grfcodec/.
How do you opperate grfcodec with paint and note pad? Will paint.net also work?
mph wrote:There isn't really a programme that will do it automatically and really easy. There is something called grfmaker, but despite its title it isn;'t an automatic grf maker. (It also isnt finished yet- although i think he source is available.)
Is there going to be one soon?
mph wrote:All of the information about coding grfs with NFO is in the ttdpatch wiki http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... hicsSpecsi-
It is fairly tricky but if you follow the tutorials there and put a little bit of time in its not impossible. People here will be sure to help out.
The link doesn't work. is there an alternative web site that I can use?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Paint.net will do, even better, because it can save pcx files which paint cannot.

Try this link:
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... phicsSpecs
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

As I said not long after MPH posted that link.

Also, if that's down, you can try wiki2 instead.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Ok.
FooBar wrote:Paint.net will do, even better, because it can save pcx files which paint cannot.
I've never seen that save option in paint.net.

well. It says at the top
A tutorial on writing new graphics for TTDPatch
Would these tutorials work for OpenTTD as well?
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Ben1338 wrote:I've never seen that save option in paint.net.
It's an add-on which you'll have to download separately from the paint.net forums.
Would these tutorials work for OpenTTD as well?
Yes.
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Thanks a lot guys. :bow: You made my day. :)
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Hi. I can't seem to get the NFO file up to see how the sprite looks on the screen. (This is important to get how it looks in relation of the squares in OTTD (not sure what else though)).

Can you tell me were to find out were to get the Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Runtime Libraries from? The link on the readme seem to be broken.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ben1338 wrote:Can you tell me were to find out were to get [absolutely anything]?
Google.
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

Ok. Thanks. :roll: (shakes head) Ill remember that for next time.

Do you have to put it in a certain folder?
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Ben1338 wrote:Do you have to put it in a certain folder?
You haven't specified what you want to put in a specific folder. It would help to tell us this. Secondly, if you looked at the readme/wiki entry for it, you may find the information you need.
Formerly known as Lachie
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Lachie wrote:
Ben1338 wrote:Do you have to put it in a certain folder?
You haven't specified what you want to put in a specific folder. It would help to tell us this. Secondly, if you looked at the readme/wiki entry for it, you may find the information you need.
Very interesting, but a year late? :)

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”