GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Re: GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Try a file name with 7 letters or fewer
GullLars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GullLars »

still get the same error with filename "ex" (example) and "test"
EDIT: it saves .lst files perfectly though.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, and enter "invalid file name" in the search box, you will find a number of suggestions to solve this problem. For example http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=895739#p895739
GullLars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GullLars »

Thanks guys. I usually don't go all noob, but i skimmed the instructions and did the tutorial point by point, and at no point did it mention a newgrf folder in the OTTD folder. In windows 7 that folder gets placed in "Documents\OpenTTD\content_download".

This tool is fairly intuitive to use once you get the layout. I suspect i will run into more complex problems later that i will need to read the documentation for if i move past just transport units.

I've also been wanting to make a low-preassure (<0,001bar or < 1000 pascals, aka low vacuum) railway (and possibly road). In real life the air resistance is the main thing holding you back from accelerating past 300-400km/t, but in low vacuum it would be track friction and inclination, and acceleration/decelleration time for shorter distances. The thought being trains could be way more efficient than airplanes, both in throughput and travel time once the massive cost of making the low vacuum tube around the rail is complete.
EDIT: also, cheaper 0,1 bar and 0,01 bar sub preassure tubes could be avalible at earlier dates but not allow as high speeds. The trains for such tracks would require preassure cabins for some types of cargo, and the engines themselves if manualy operated.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The TurboTrain is already in several sets, such as the US Set and the Canadian set.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

It's a default train too, plus there's a standalone GRF on GRFCrawler somewhere.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I overcame this problem by simply exporting the NFO and then compiling it with GRFCodec :wink:
GullLars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GullLars »

There was a stand alone turbo-train in grfcrawler, but only for sub-tropical.
I think i'll spend a few hours this weekend making rough first attempts at the vehicles i listed above, using random avalible sprites to be replaced later when/if i get serious about them.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I tried to make sense of the google translated instructions for making a articulated vehicle but it doesn't make much sense, especially when some words are translated wrong or not at all.

Im trying to make a GTEL with a fuel tender and I need to make it articulated to keep people from abusing an old system I came up with (the loco has the te and the tender has the power).

So does anyone know how to make a articulated locomotive?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Werent it you i made that Queen Rail something-train for 2-3 years ago? if so, take a look at that, as that includes articulation (iirc)
Member of the
ImageImage
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I can't read NFO, and I can't really do much with it. I wish someone would explain how to make an articulated vehicle in Grf Maker (3.04 or 4.01).

Also, how do I make a steam engine with a tender in GrfMaker, as I would like to make a company coloured canadian train set with steam engines
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Please don't post your requests in multiple topics. It's very difficult for those willing to help to see similar requests all over the place.
Foster Oil Tanker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Foster Oil Tanker »

Give download :bow: :D
Transport Tycoon Russia GO

If you boast additions that do not sit and let the entire file!!!!!!!!!

I'm always looking for new additions
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Foster Oil Tanker wrote:Give download
To what? GRFmaker?

The current Open Source version can be found here - http://users.tt-forums.net/grfmaker/ but it's getting rather old, and is not actively updated by anyone. A slightly updated version (articulated road vehicles) could be found on some czech(?) TT-pages (it is linked somewhere in this thread, just search backwards), but that one is not Open Source AFAIK - at least none of the modifications have been sent back to the community in source form (unfortunately).

Please note that GRFMaker is not a substitute for understanding NFO code, it is just a tool that takes some of the drudgery out of the work of generating a GRF.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

NekoMaster wrote:I can't read NFO, and I can't really do much with it. I wish someone would explain how to make an articulated vehicle in Grf Maker (3.04 or 4.01).

Also, how do I make a steam engine with a tender in GrfMaker, as I would like to make a company coloured canadian train set with steam engines
You may be able to make some sense of this (I can send the sprites if you want them too). Just bung your sprites in instead of mine

(no I don't really understand how it works but it does work)

You'll need to take the .grf off the end of the file name as the board doesn't like lst files
Attachments
articulated-rv.lst.grf
(162.29 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:the board doesn't like lst files
name it .txt or put it into a .zip/.rar
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I'm trying to use GRF maker to make articulated vehicles. The section below works

However when I change the vehicle ID from 01 to 04 its stops working properly, the trailer graphic becomes the same as the tractor graphic

I change both the ID(01) line and the G(0F) -> ID(01)

There must be another reference to 01 in the code somewhere but I can't find it!

Anyone have any bright ideas please?

Cheers

Bob
artic.png
artic.png (18.48 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I don't have that version of GRFMaker, the one I have can only make articulated trains - this is how it looks in my train set for a steam engine with tender. I would assume it would look more or less the same for road vehicles. I don't see any big difference compared to (the visible parts of) your code:
Attachments
Ex25.png
Ex25.png (12.5 KiB) Viewed 8981 times
Ex26.png
Ex26.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
Ex27.png
Ex27.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Thanks Anders

I copied your code slavishly and unfortunately it didn't work :(

I'm starting to wonder if the version of GRF maker I have has a bug?
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I now have it working :)

I'd like to say I'm getting the hang of it but I'm still not 100% what's going on :(

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”