GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Post by Leanden »

Im using GRF Maker 3.03B which i believe was the latest stable version and can't work out how to make articulated vehicles. I notice Bob did it but was using GRFmaker 4.01 which i have no idea where he got it from because its not on the GRFmaker webpage. Any ideas?
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Check your email
NoWa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NoWa »

Hy!

Can someone help me, ho to code building in GRFMaker. I need a little tutorial, to make our set, so id you can please help me.
Thanks.
Hungarian City Set

Coming soon!

Miau miau :3
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

It's probably better to take a look at NML, as that is actively developed. GRFMaker is relatively dead...

There are some links on the GRFMaker Community Page (see my sig.), maybe they can be of some help.
Ricewind1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ricewind1 »

Do you still (or anyone else) make trains for them?
Is this possible to do without sprites? I'd just like to modify some toyland trains' stats and put them in the other 3 climates.

I'd like to change the following to these trains:

Powernaut Choo-Choo Release year: 2100 Life: 20y Availability: Forever
Max speed: 1337 km/hr Power: 40.000hp Cost: £350k (base) Running Cost: £10.000 (base)

Ploddyphut Choo-Choo Release year: 2075 Life: 20y Availability: Forever
Max speed: 1000 km/hr Power: 30.000hp Cost: £250k (base) Running Cost: £7500 (base)

Mightymover Choo-Choo Release year: 2050 Life: 20y Availability: Forever
Max speed: 700 km/hr Power: 25.000hp Cost: £175k (base) Running Cost: £5000 (base)

The sprites and names can all be the same. I'm just only interested in brining these steam trains to the regular climates and upgrading them
The rail type is still the standard rail for these trains. Steam engines also :p

I would be FOREVER greatfull if anyone could make me a newgrf with these settings.
railroader123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railroader123 »

I've done evrything that guide has told me to but I keep getting an 'Invalid Filename' error whenever I try to turn it into a grf file. I'm using the lastest version. I've cleared it out, reinstalled it and redone it word for word and it still continues to fail!!!! Can someone please help?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

railroader123 wrote:I've done evrything that guide has told me to but I keep getting an 'Invalid Filename' error whenever I try to turn it into a grf file. I'm using the lastest version. I've cleared it out, reinstalled it and redone it word for word and it still continues to fail!!!! Can someone please help?
See here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=895739#p895739

Keep in mind: GRFMaker is dead. The project was actually abandoned by its original authors several years ago, and nobody has submitted any code fixes for the open source branch in five years. It is likely a better use of your time to learn meta-languages like NML and M4NFO, or just the raw NFO.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I know this thing is dead, LONG Dead, but I wanted to prototype a grf for some sprites I made until I get someone to code them.

Thing is, I'm on windows 10, I tried using GRF maker with OpenTTD 0.6.3 but I still get "Invalid file name" and adding a "newgrf" folder doesnt work, I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

ALso I remember there was a version of GRF Maker that worked with more modern versions of OPenTTD but I can't find it anymore.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For reference, the GRFMaker SVN repository has been shut down, and the source code is now kindly hosted by #openttdcoop. The DevZone project can be found here. The full source code history has been preserved.
jelmerrr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jelmerrr »

Can anyone tell why he said file not found as I start one of the tools?
jelmerrr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jelmerrr »

Why can't I save it as NEWgrf?
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I know all the "cool" devs say GRF maker is dead but anyway...

To get it to work on Windows 10 you need to "run as administrator" to get it to make a GRF otherwise it fails silently without informing you why its not doing anything

Cheers

Bob
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Let me please apologise if you felt any offence - none was intended
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I'm not sure GRF maker per-se will be missed, though I'd never have even managed the mediocre sets I did without it. I've started playing OTTD again after a 5 year break hence my interest in resurrecting it

I'm certain a non programattical vehicle sprite designer would be very welcome by those in the community that have no programming aptitude. It would be an awesome amount of work though

Cheers

Bob
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't though to put together a simple web interface to design some pixels, save the images online, then cobble together some modules so that you just type simple commands into a web form and have it spit out valid NML and then gets immediately compiled into a functional NewGRF.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I'd be very surprised if you would be the first to have such thoughts (not me, btw), but there is a large gap between thinking and realizing, unfortunately.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I built myself a web-based tool to generate the original version of FISH or so. For personal use, it was overkill and got in the way more than it helped, but it was a learning experience.

The primary issue is that users would want to keep their entire set (graphics and configuration data) in the web-based tool. That means:
  • would need persistent storage (database) for the data, and for the graphics (potentially large)
  • there would need to be some accounts and log in system
  • some sets are multi-author, so there would need to be projects
  • there would need to be backups
  • despite being persistent, it would likely need import/export
  • probably users would pretty quickly want undo / history
For all that, a web-based tool would likely be limited to a handful of 'standard' methods in terms of callbacks, graphics etc, so it would not be useful for anything other than 'standardised' vehicles. :twisted:

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”