GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Post by Szappy »

Hello everyone!

We are working on a program, that can encode grf-files, and we'd like to test it to the limits.
Meanwhile I'd like to make it possible for everyone who needs something encoded into ttd, to submit it here.

This program will come out of course in time, but we need a translation, a usage help, and still there are features to add too. Until that happens, we'll take GRF-requests, and encode them.

So here's what I'd like to ask:
-submit the graphics in TTD native 8bit (256 color) palette. Any lossless format is acceptable, (It'd be best to use .png, or .pcx files of course).
-please submit all the needed sprites for any project, I'd rather not do sprite mirroring, and definately no pixel art.
-It would be best to tell us the stats for the project (stats for a train, desired layout for stations, etc), and any other significant information, to make things easier, and to have the project completed faster.

Note however, that the main purpose of this topic should be to actually test the program, but I thought it would be good, that the community benefited from the project, as long as it is under developement too.
So we'll gladly do anything, but please be patient until specific projects complete.

I hope this will be a fruitful topic as long as we're able the make the program publically available to everyone.

Szappy

ps. if anyone can come up with a better topic title, feel free to suggest ;)
Last edited by Szappy on 17 Mar 2005 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
Image please use email instead of PM
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Re: Grf ENCODING, sign here...

Post by ChrisCF »

Before we start, we've already got grfcodec which, despite its many shortcomings, works fairly nicely. I believe the only bugs that have been found with grfcodec in the last year or so are behavioural, and not related to the logic of the encoding (things like returning "File exists" on failure). But anyway ...
Szappy wrote:We are working on a program, that can encode grf-files, and we'd like to test it to the limits.
1. Who is "we"?
Meanwhile I'd like to make it possible for everyone who needs something encoded into ttd, to submit it here.
2. Why can people not test the program themselves?
This program will come out of course in time, but we need a translation, a usage help, and still there are features to add too. Until that happens, we'll take GRF-requests, and encode them.
3. What is your licensing and development plan looking like? The trick to releasing untested software is to clearly tag it as the development branch as opposed to "full release" ;)

I have great experience in testing, documentation, i18n, a11y, etc. Projects that meet the Free Software Definition (or failing that, at a bare minimum the Open Source Definition) will receive help freely. I also provide assistance to projects which don't meet these definitions, but such assistance is charged by the hour as a business service. Free or otherwise, I would still need to know who I'm dealing with (the "we"), and I'd still need to have the program in front of me to test.
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Ok, here's a two piece fairlie engine, try not to make the pieces have gaps inbetween them

Here's the stats for it (the whole two pieces) Just make the costs affordable :wink:

Speed = 50 mph
Power = 800 hp
Tractive effort = 500 kn
Weight = 60 tons

<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Before we start, we've already got grfcodec which, despite its many shortcomings, works fairly nicely.
This is not an alternative to grfcodec, but a gui, to help coding acion bits, so you don't have to go bit-hunting (something like Owen wanted to create once under the name of GRFCreator, if I'm not mistaken).
There are some screenshots of it in IRC requests:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=191041#191041

1. Who is "we"?
We is gl2 and me, but gl2 does not spek english, so I'm the voice here.

This program will come out of course in time, but we need a translation, a usage help, and still there are features to add too.
That's why :? If you speak fluent hungarian, though you might test it yourself.
3. What is your licensing and development plan looking like?
It should be free to anyone of course, and I'd appreciate a license writ for it, 'cause I'm not into law myself.

The program is fully usable, I'm not asking for developement help.
This topic is to test it, and correct flaws. And while we can help the community too, that's good.

Szappy
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Szappy wrote:This is not an alternative to grfcodec, but a gui, to help coding acion bits
OK, thanks for clearing that up.
We is gl2 and me, but gl2 does not spek english, so I'm the voice here.
So, two of you working on it AMT. Great oaks, etc. ;)
This program will come out of course in time, but we need a translation, a usage help, and still there are features to add too.
That's why :? If you speak fluent hungarian, though you might test it yourself.
* Translation - if you've arranged your strings sensibly, it should in theory be possible to come up with a hackish translation for someone else to look at and clean up - there are also a couple of online translators that do Hungarian. If it becomes a seroius problem, we can get together over IRC and thrash out a simple translation.
* Usage help - a good program is intuitive, and doesn't need that much documentation. If a first-time user with some knowledge of the .nfo format needs help to keep them going, then you need to rethink your UI. Again, this is something I can help you with, as well as actually writing the documentation.
* Missing features - like I said, "development releases" ;) It doesn't have to be finished to get feedback from people.
It should be free to anyone of course, and I'd appreciate a license writ for it, 'cause I'm not into law myself.
It is considered very bad form to write your own licence, or having one written for you - you run the risk of leaving undesirable loopholes, or needlessly excluding users. There are plenty of good ones out there "tried and tested", that have already gone through lawyers: GPL, old X11, BSD sans clause 3, etc.
And while we can help the community too, that's good.
Your motives seem good. Don't fall into the trap of Pandora's Box releases (i.e. dictating things the user is allowed to do). A locked container with no key is of no real use to anyone, and if they release all the evil in the world by breaking it open, it's their own fault ;)
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

I was specifically asking for TTD paletted 8 bit pictures :x
OK I have converted it now. Will be back with the results on monday.

ps. I dont have net acess at the weekends, so no replies till monday.
chipetke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chipetke »

Szappy wrote:If you speak fluent hungarian, though you might test it yourself.
Hey Szappy!
Don't you want a tester who actually speaks fluent hungarian? Drop me a PM please! And please use hungarian (in the PM of course :tongue:) Does it have *any* Win2k, NT, or XP specific code or it can run on 9x series of windows too?
Linux is like a wigwam: no Gates, no Windows, Apache inside...
Author of Hungarian signal set Current version: 0.2b, Semaphore drawing in progress.
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Singaporekid:

Here's your Fairlie
It didn't actually took this long to do it, but I had to learn the way articulated engines are coded.

Issues:
-I don't know the name, so I just called it Fairlie
-it replaces the first engine in the list (Kirby)
-tractive effort cannot be entered like that, the patch calculates it, and you can only limit it to a lower value (which I haven't done)
-the graphics are drawn bad, see below:
the horizontal view (2) should be the longest, the vertical (1)the shortest, and the diagonals (3) in-between, so there will be clipping errors until you correct the graphics
Attachments
fairlie.GRF
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 1197 times
fairlie_827.png
fairlie_827.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 49447 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

is it going on??
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

If you're referring to the program, then yes, I just got an updated version.
I'll be translating it next week, so there _might_ be a release the week after.

Originally this topic was meant to provide a "coder" for all those who want something encoded, not to discuss the program.
But since the only request was from Singaporekid, from now on, I'll also discuss the program here as well.

Note though, that I'll be on vacation next week, so I don't think there will be any update in this thread...
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

i am very interrested in such a programm, because i try to code for a while.......... And it is very hard to understand the mechanism. Perhaps i am to old for such things. But it would be great to have your programm!
mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

Heres a Countrylink XPT & passenger car I'd like encoded, there should be no gaps between the carriages.

Stats:
Speed: 160 kph
Horsepower: 2000
Weight: 72 tonnes
Cost: 60,000
Attachments
countrylink_XPT.png
countrylink_XPT.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 49191 times
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Can this do exes?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Zetor2003 wrote:Can this do exes?
WHAT ARE EXES :roll:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

They look like this: X

:)
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

spaceman-spiff wrote:
WHAT ARE EXES :roll:
*.exe files?
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

G0RR3 wrote:*.exe files?
Gorre, they were making a joke. Understand that nearly no one uses exes for graphics files anymore since everything can be done with the wonders known as grf files. *Praises the holy Patchman for grf files*
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

No, and frankly I don't think it needs to.
You can do much more with grfs, and anything, that can be done with .exe files, can be also sone with grf files.
If you really need to make an .exe just use "grfdiff -l <>" (read the help though)
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Szappy wrote:
No, and frankly I don't think it needs to.
You can do much more with grfs, and anything, that can be done with .exe files, can be also sone with grf files.
If you really need to make an .exe just use "grfdiff -l <>" (read the help though)
OTTD can't use grf files yet, so...
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Zetor2003 wrote:OTTD can't use grf files yet, so...
... so stop complaining, use either TTDPatch with GRF files or nothing
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”