GRF encoder tool: GRFMaker [under development]

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Aegir, we haven't forgot about you, and your ideas. The custom station classes is underway.

The other request... well... it's seems too complex to me to even think about implementation.
OTOH I don't see _that_ much benefit, to warrant for the work it requires. But sometimes an good idea makes something impossible, easy to implement anyway.
So it's not a NO, rather a not now ;)
Image please use email instead of PM
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I've tried importing an NFO today, a rather large and complicated one. It belongs to a train with multiple variable action 2's, the GRF of this train works fine in a58. As soon as I press enter after selecting the NFO, GRFmaker launches itself for a second time and both become unresponsive.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

You've got A58 already ? :shock:

You lucky bas.....d. :lol:
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

OK, I was overzealous. a57 and it works fine :)
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

I have a small problem. Only small, but, meh.
OK. When I started trying to make articulated engines, I had this problem, though I didn't really notice it. Now that I've started on Comments for my locos, I had this problem.
OK, when you select 0C Current Callback from the drop down list in the Variational Graphics Block, It shows the different callbacks you can do. They are shown with hexidecimal numbers, yet the form where you input the callback number is decimal. Maybe in brackets after the callbacks they could have the decimal number?
Attachments
problem.PNG
problem.PNG (83.84 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Formerly known as Lachie
gl2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gl2 »

WhiteHand wrote:I have a small problem. Only small, but, meh.
OK. When I started trying to make articulated engines, I had this problem, though I didn't really notice it. Now that I've started on Comments for my locos, I had this problem.
OK, when you select 0C Current Callback from the drop down list in the Variational Graphics Block, It shows the different callbacks you can do. They are shown with hexidecimal numbers, yet the form where you input the callback number is decimal. Maybe in brackets after the callbacks they could have the decimal number?
Hello WhiteHand!

You right!
In the next version I will do this.

Laci
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Need a little help, i have produced my first grf with this fine tool, but i did something wrong, the grf has a mistake and ll not load in the game.
Second, questions, how do i know what compression to use, look at trg1?
How do i get the right X-Yrel, the old verry time taking way or is there a other?.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

The grf file has multiple action 8 entries
This basically means that the block which contains the name, GRF-ID and description of the GRF has been added more then once.
Formerly known as Lachie
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Zimmlock wrote:Need a little help, i have produced my first grf with this fine tool, but i did something wrong, the grf has a mistake and ll not load in the game.
Code 12 means that there are multiple action 8s, though I'm not sure why exactly GRFMaker would let you do that.
Zimmlock wrote:Second, questions, how do i know what compression to use, look at trg1?
I always use 01. The other three valid values are 03, 09, and 0B. See the Action 1 page for exactly what those values mean.
Zimmlock wrote:How do i get the right X-Yrel, the old verry time taking way or is there a other?.
Trial and error, a bit of luck, and, occasionally, a little bit of knowing-what-you're-doing. If you can align your sprite with a very similar one in trg?r, start with the same offsets as the trg?r sprite.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

DaleStan wrote:
Zimmlock wrote:Need a little help, i have produced my first grf with this fine tool, but i did something wrong, the grf has a mistake and ll not load in the game.
DaleStan wrote: Code 12 means that there are multiple action 8s, though I'm not sure why exactly GRFMaker would let you do that.
I added commentairy later i guess it happend there.
Zimmlock wrote:Second, questions, how do i know what compression to use, look at trg1?
DaleStan wrote: I always use 01. The other three valid values are 03, 09, and 0B. See the Action 1 page for exactly what those values mean.
I copy the compression values from trg1 this is a small road set and all roads have 09.
Zimmlock wrote:How do i get the right X-Yrel, the old verry time taking way or is there a other?.
DaleStan wrote: Trial and error, a bit of luck, and, occasionally, a little bit of knowing-what-you're-doing. If you can align your sprite with a very similar one in trg?r, start with the same offsets as the trg?r sprite.
I do it this way but its a hell of a job when you have 12 verry different sprites then the "original" sprites. i Have not enough knowlidge of programming otherwise i would make a sprite image ajustment tool i have an idea for it, just select the ground tile (for building) mostly this has -31 0 as X-Yrel this is place automatic in a small grid, than select the building sprite, now you can move with mouse that building sprits to its required position on the ground tile, when in place clik a button and the X-Yrel is outputted to a txt file. I could draw (how it would look) the program but i cant write the software :cry:
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

There is an extension in the works, that will help x/yrel placing easier, by displaying a grid, and - for vehicles - road/rail tiles.
Don't ask when it will get done, tho ;)
Image please use email instead of PM
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

The latest version (2.21) has already implemented this, I just forgot to PM you about it :oops: In that version, there is a sprite-positioner button in the action1 sprite list window (at least for houses, I haven't tried the others), so you can position the sprites visually. I'm sure GL2 can make a stand-alone tool for you as well if you need one.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
Grigory1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Grigory1 »

Csaboka wrote:I'm sure GL2 can make a stand-alone tool for you as well if you need one.
And for coding planes GL2
Can make the independent tool :?: :oops:
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

There's no need for a standalone tool for coding planes. GRF Maker can already do that. besides, it would be a waste of time to rip the plane code from the rest of the program.
Formerly known as Lachie
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Dont need a stand alone version, but uh :oops: action1 sprite list window ? how do i get that and does it do 2 and 4 tile buildings to?
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I need GRFmaker help for coding trains. If anyone can supply me with a(n extensively) commented example of one of the following you're bound to go to heaven:

I saved 1 ID for all tenders in the Dutch Trainset but not all steam engines have the same tender, they differ in shape. How can I arrange that the proper engines end up with the proper tenders?

I'm also dying to find out how to enable livery refits with GRFmaker. We've got 1 particular steamer that we prefer to present as a livery refit instead of a stand-alone ID.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Use the assign windows to allow livery overrides for tender, just like you would with coaches.
I'm also interested in how to do Livery refits, so we're not alone. Did you get comments working?
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

Hey I'am also interested in Livery refits, I just got Cargo refits to work...
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Szappy, could you send me a copy of GRFMaker please?

Cheers
James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Hey all!

Im not sure if this is a bug, probably isnt though, maybe a need for help! When i try to add a vehicle sprite block, i choose my options, click ok, and i get errors saying firstly that the BMP file contains more than 500 sprites, then an error saying no sprite selected in the sprite block.

Any ideas to fix this please?

Sorry for the double post btw

Cheers
James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”