Changing NewGRF of esisting scenario

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dreig
Engineer
Engineer

Changing NewGRF of esisting scenario

Post by Dreig »

Hi all,

Hope I put this into correct category, if not I apologize, this my first post here.

As the title suggests, I have an existing scenario (Slovakia 1.1 is the scenario, downloaded through ingame downloader) and it uses NewGRFs that I do not want to be used. Is there any way to be rid of it all and force different newgrfs into the scenario? Thanks ahead.
kamnet

Re: Changing NewGRF of esisting scenario

Post by kamnet »

You can, but it comes with a significant risk that the scenario will become corrupted.

In general, it may be okay to remove or add vehicle NewGRFs as long as there are no vehicles in use. It may be okay to remove or add objects, stations, landscapes, and only things which change graphics appearance but not costs or the economy. This is not guaranteed in any way. You may (and probably will) corrupt the game.

It is not okay to remove or add industry/economy, town/city buildings or town name sets, this will almost assuredly corrupt the game.

The best thing to do would be to start over by using a heightmap of the scenario, which you can do from within the scenario editor by using the "Save Heightmap" option. This does mean you're going to have to place all your towns, industries and infrastructures again.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

https://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_NewGRF#I_c ... .2C_why.3F , quite simply changing grfs will break your game .
Dreig
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dreig »

kamnet wrote:You can, but it comes with a significant risk that the scenario will become corrupted.

In general, it may be okay to remove or add vehicle NewGRFs as long as there are no vehicles in use. It may be okay to remove or add objects, stations, landscapes, and only things which change graphics appearance but not costs or the economy. This is not guaranteed in any way. You may (and probably will) corrupt the game.

It is not okay to remove or add industry/economy, town/city buildings or town name sets, this will almost assuredly corrupt the game.

The best thing to do would be to start over by using a heightmap of the scenario, which you can do from within the scenario editor by using the "Save Heightmap" option. This does mean you're going to have to place all your towns, industries and infrastructures again.
The scenario is quite frankly, completely useless as is. It is scenario of my home country and uses some quite nonsensical cosmetic NewGRFs, most notably roads replacer that for some reason makes roads look like modern day in 1946 (my country does not have such good roads to this day) and uses an incomplete set of local vehicles. Most notable is lack of trams, it has british trams for some reason. So if I break it no matter, and reaplacing all towns and industries bz hand, well there are almost all of real world cities annd villages that, would take a couple of weeks.

But nowhere here I can find any instruction on how to do this, just warnings saying DO NOT DO IT
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Press the TAB key to open the console .Type this in the console: set newgrf_developer_tools 1

You can then add and remove them using the menus like a new game. May I suggest you try to load the scenario in The NRT fork of OTTD , some really cool roads and tramways , that may suit your game .viewtopic.php?t=75637 . viewtopic.php?t=76183
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

piratescooby wrote:Press the TAB key to open the console .Type this in the console: set newgrf_developer_tools 1
please do not go around telling people this, there is "scenario_developer" which gives slightly less destructive tools (that is still dangerous enough)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The problem with "breaking the scenario" by changing NewGRF often is that you only notice that it is broken many hours into the game - not right when you just swapped NewGRFs.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The scenario is pretty weird at all. I recommend carefully adding only trams and cars, preferably from the CZTR set.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”