Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 pm 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Looking at "pilar chopping.png", these won't solve all combinations

Considering some sleep combinations, and track foundations under bridges, there are a lot combinations.

If we only consider only TTDs original possible combinations, we have two possible basic states:
- nothing under bridge
- something under bridge

Then we have can cut the tile in two zones.

So you have the left zone pillar, and the right zone pillar.

Each of this pillar zones have 3 basic states: flat, higher or lower in the middle of bridge. (more if you allow steep slopes)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

eis_os
This is much easier. Tile has 4 corners, 2 for the front side of the bridge, and 2 for the back side, about which we will temporarily forget.
So we have 2 front corners.
1. Draw default sprite from the height of the highest corner (including foundation) up to the bridge.
2. Then we draw half-sprite for the lowest corner only. (Of course, if both corners are at the same level, then we don't draw half-sprite at all.)
Repeat this two steps for the back side and we are done, all 4 pillars have correct height. We don't care about steep slope, because max height difference for the each side of the tile is only one height level.

Last edited by uni657 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I have checked your modified ottd build. It works very well with the original bridges, but it fails with TBRS as you said, and it fails with the TTRS bridges too. It looks like the for me, the height detecting for halftiles is failing. "HasBit(image, 0)" shouldnt be an issue anymore doesnt it? After looking your patch, still the "hasbit will be the problem":
Code:
switch(type) {
+      case 0: case 1: case 2: case 9: // wooden, girder and concrete bridges
+         draw_odd_pillar = true;
+         break;
+      case 3: case 4: case 5: // suspension bridges, different pillars for each bridge part
+         if (image == SPR_BTSUS_X_PILLAR_TILE_E || image == SPR_BTSUS_Y_PILLAR_TILE_E) {
+            draw_odd_pillar = true;
+         } else {
+            p = tileh_bits[HasBit(image, 0) * 2 + axis];
+         }
+         break;

Is this switch requied? Halftiles method cant solve this? At least this should be disabled if that bridgeslot have been modified by newgrf? I havent explored further the sources, or the available sprites in ttrg.grf, so I might be wrong.

Attachments:
TTRS.png
TTRS.png [ 43.42 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:54 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

uni657 wrote:
eis_os
This is much easier. Tile has 4 corners, 2 for the front side of the bridge, and 2 for the back side, about which we will temporarily forget.
So we have 2 front corners.
1. Draw default sprite from the height of the highest corner (including foundation) up to the bridge.
2. Then we draw half-sprite for the lowest corner only. (Of course, if both corners are at the same level, then we don't draw half-sprite at all.)
Repeat this two steps for the back side and we are done, all 4 pillars have correct height. We don't care about steep slope, because max height difference for the each side of the tile is only one height level.

Sorry, I forgot to write that archive in my previous post contains OpenTTD binary with this patch.

As soon as you have heavier pillars, you system won't work, as you get visually distortion if you half pillar doesn't fit the right slope...

(Like a Brick Viaduct grf)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

thgergo
Removed half of that switch, now TBRS pillars are drawn correctly.

eis_os wrote:
As soon as you have heavier pillars, you system won't work, as you get visually distortion if you half pillar doesn't fit the right slope... (Like a Brick Viaduct grf)
Nothing wrong with the pillars of the brick viaduct.

Attachments:
brick_viaduct.png
brick_viaduct.png [ 65.37 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

uni657 wrote:

Shouldn´t them be centered on the tile borders?

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

michael blunck wrote:
uni657 wrote:

Shouldn´t them be centered on the tile borders?

regards
Michael

This is just for an optical illusion for the viaduct, it looks higher than the real "z" height could allow that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:24 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

thgergo wrote:
This is just for an optical illusion for the viaduct, it looks higher than the real "z" height could allow that.

Well, no. As the track (and the whole bridge) is centred on its ground tiles, so should the foot of the pillars.

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

uni657 wrote:
thgergo
Removed half of that switch, now TBRS pillars are drawn correctly.

eis_os wrote:
As soon as you have heavier pillars, you system won't work, as you get visually distortion if you half pillar doesn't fit the right slope... (Like a Brick Viaduct grf)

The bridge pillars in the valley are totally wrong...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:55 am 
Engineer
Engineer

eis_os wrote:
The bridge pillars in the valley are totally wrong...
How should they look then? Compared to unmodified OpenTTD this is exact pillar length, that author of the grf wanted.

By the way, how pillars are drawn in TTDPatch? I tried to look, but unfortunately, I don't understand assembler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

The pillars have the correct length. But look at how off-centre from the tile centre they are with respect to the / direction of the tiles. The bridge must be oblique.

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

As the bridge is 20 pixels wide, and the pillar seems to be flat to the side of the bridge, the pillar should also be 20 px wide, with the current width it should be drawn in the middle of the lower red line:

Attachments:
tt10.png
tt10.png [ 11.6 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:00 pm 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

It's all about optical illusion and trying to fix newgrfs.
Technical there is no correct way to fix drawing bridge pillars for newgrfs without adding new additions to newgrf. And as soon as people change trg*.grf to add new bridges there isn't a correct way for TTD default bridges either...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Hi,

what about custom spritenumber? Have you solution for custom spritenumbers or you still replacing toyland sprites?

I need other front bridge sprites for road and other for rails. But i dont know how to add custom spritenumbers or which spritenumbers is free.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

vasatko wrote:
Hi,

what about custom spritenumber? Have you solution for custom spritenumbers or you still replacing toyland sprites?

I need other front bridge sprites for road and other for rails. But i dont know how to add custom spritenumbers or which spritenumbers is free.
This can be done via Action D GRF Resource Management. If you have the TBRS NFO code, you can see how it is done.

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Hi, thx, but I saw to WiKi and to TBRS code and i dont know what is it. Can you give me quick lection how to GRFRecourceManagement use? Or exist some tutorial, manual etc?

Im looking to your link for GRM and Action6 and to your code.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

vasatko wrote:
Hi, thx, but I saw to WiKi and to TBRS code and i dont know what is it. Can you give me quick lection how to GRFRecourceManagement use? Or exist some tutorial, manual etc?

I can send you an example of the code that I use, but I am still working on it for a tutorial that I will be posting some time in the next several weeks. I will post a link here when it is ready, probably near the end of March.

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

vasatko wrote:

You could use m4nfo instead of plain nfo for coding bridges.
There´s also a tutorial how to use allocated sprites rather than overwriting TTD sprites.

regard
Michael