US Set available [Trains v0.87.4d released 27 April 2008]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

norfolksouthern37 wrote:and the doodlebug IS having coupling problems, see attached file.
The GG1 is looking a little bit squashed in down-left and down-right views too... (not that I'm moaning or anything, the set is fantastic :) )
Attachments
gg1.png
gg1.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

@Crahn - I have no objection to their being a parameter to turn off the instant-passenger-load. Oracle (who does the coding) has to be the final judge of that, but it's find with me.

Your point about TE in the Readme is well taken. I'll write a section for it and send it to Oracle for addition.

@norfolksouthern - Look in your game settings. You'll probably find that your game is set to "Drive on left". Of course Americans drive on the right, but we can't enforce that in the game. So we have American-style crossing gates to suit driving in both lanes. If you switch your game to driving on the right, you'll see the crossings switch also, after a bit.

@the Brits - The Hiawatha also was reported to reach 140mph. The trouble is, all this was long before radar guns were invented, so it was much harder to be definitive. I believe your Mallard is the only record-setting loco that's still around, so naturally it holds the title because it is possible to re-test it with modern sensing equipment. All our speedsters, alas, are long scrapped.

@cornelius - I think what you've actually found is a mis-positioning in that view.

As a side not, the GG1 was the subject of much controversey. In the game, if you set it next to a Bipolar or Little Joe, it's maybe half the size. In reality, it was almost as long. So really, the GG1 should be two pieces too. The reason it isn't, is because of what it hauls. The Bipolar and (often) Little Joe hauled freight, which in that era was 40ft boxcars, so it's normal for them to be dwarfed by the loco. The GG1 mostly hauled passenger cars, which were 80ft. There's no way to have the passenger cars a realistic length and proportion, and we figured that for the GG1 to dwarf them would look odd. A compromise, I admit.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Colonel32: yes, there are some free slots, but a) they will change and b) I'm not going to tell you what they are :twisted:. Not that it's hard for you to find out, though.

Obviously the woodchip error is a bug. It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for spotting it :).
The passengers and mail loading speed might get a parameter, but it's low down on the todo list. If anything, it will almost certainly be a bit-option like the other parameters for e.g. 10 per tick.

I'll look at the Doodlebug and GG1.
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

krtaylor wrote: @the Brits - The Hiawatha also was reported to reach 140mph. The trouble is, all this was long before radar guns were invented, so it was much harder to be definitive. I believe your Mallard is the only record-setting loco that's still around, so naturally it holds the title because it is possible to re-test it with modern sensing equipment. All our speedsters, alas, are long scrapped.
the mallard set the record during a brake test run sometime at the beginning of its run, but it had a speedometer in the van testing the brakes, so it was officially recorded (if the american locs had done this then they would probably have it - but mind you, as we got the record off the germans coverage would have been pretty goodddd)

at least i think im right...

@krtaylor: i forgot about long stations, well spotted!
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

Oracle wrote:I'll look at the Doodlebug and GG1.
While you're at the GG1 I think the end passenger car in the down-right view is slightly out (down 1px?) too. Sorry! ;)
Thrakki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thrakki »

This set is quite awesome so far, from what I've seen.

Personally, I think the GG-1 should be bigger (I realize this was mentioned a few posts down). I know it might look odd being larger than the passenger cars, but the real stars of this set are the engines, I would say, moreso than the carriages/cars they pull. It would be nice to see a larger GG1 because you could see more of the details, which are hard to make out in its current implementation.

That being said, here's a request: I've seen the idea being tossed around for having certain engines available in certain climates--would it be possible to see some passenger engines drawn with Metra livery for temperate set use--specifically for future scenarios that involve the great lakes region?

I'm sure quite a few of you haven't heard of Metra before, but, "With ridership averaging about 290,000 trips on weekdays, Metra is North America’s second largest commuter railroad. The agency posted a record 82.3 million trips in 2001."

Here is a link to an article pertaining to Metra (from which I extracted the above quote): http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/A ... 2zhsii.asp

The most common Metra engines are the: F40PH, F40C, F40PHM-2, and, within the last year, the brand new MP36PH-3S. Here's a link with some decent pictures of all the listed engines:

http://www.drgw.net/~f40c/locos/roster.html

Here are two further links showing the MP36PH-3S:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=31976

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=36427

I know for sure the MP36PH-3S has 3600 HP and is significantly heavier than the F40 models.

I'll understand if no one is interested, but it would be cool to see, especially if a great lakes scenario is planned.

Edit: Forgot to mention...for as long as I've seen Metra trains, they've always pulled Bi-Level carriages...similar, but a little different from the ones already in this set.
-Song of Carrot Game-
"Digging Carrots, Muddy & Muddy,
Washing Them, Cut & Cut,
The Soup Boiling Well, Hot & Hot,
We All Favorite Carrot Game."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't have any particular objection to including Metra-liveried trains after a certain era. We had always intended to have alternate liveries for some of the locos, we just never got around to it. My understanding is that it is possible for the traincars to match a random-livery on the loco, so this would work. I suppose the way it would work, would be that the lead locomotive would determine the random livery, and everything else in the train would match it.

I don't know that it will have a very high priority though, there are other things that are more popular. If you'd care to work on the necessary sprites, we'd be glad to help you and to include them.

I do know about Metra, although I've never patronized it. Personally I think the livery is garish in the extreme. That's no reason not to include it, of course.

We don't have any commuter-rail liveries in the game at all. We do have the ALP-46 in NJT livery, and originally we planned to do matching carriages for it, but that never happened. I wouldn't mind adding the Boston MBTA scheme, I like the purple, but it's a lot of work for, basically, eye-candy.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Thrakki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thrakki »

Yeah, Metra engines are a bit colorful, but hey, when you've seen them every day for 20+ years, you tend not to notice as much. Metra cars, however, are much less colorful...pretty much steely grey with a single Metra logo on the bottom corner. In other locations, Metra uses some cars that appear to have a lighter tint, with orange stripes running horizontally across the length of the car (over the oval-shaped windows). Metra livery should not appear until at least 1980.

I'd certainly draw both the cars and engines if I were as good with a mouse as I am with a pencil. Hmm, I know there already is an F40-PH2 in the set...if there was a way I could open the graphic file for that and have a look at it, I might be able to determine if I could draw these correctly or not. What program would I need to use to be able to view the graphic files?

On the alternate livery per engine: would it be possible to have some type of selectable livery for an engine, while it is still in the depot? Sort of like a toggle-switch. Would envision it working like the new-stations switch, where you can select between regular stations and signal boxes. Or is that what you just said and I didn't read correctly?
-Song of Carrot Game-
"Digging Carrots, Muddy & Muddy,
Washing Them, Cut & Cut,
The Soup Boiling Well, Hot & Hot,
We All Favorite Carrot Game."
Nilo
Engineer
Engineer

Caboose

Post by Nilo »

The train looks verry good. I like the way you can use different wagons for a load. But i think i found a error.

I was playing with a dbset and i turned it off (dbset v5.0). When i loaded my game the diesel ice was replaced by a caboose and it was running on4,095 mhp and 0 hp (look at the picture) It's strange dont know of its a bug or mend to be this way.
Attachments
Look at the speed and the HP's
Look at the speed and the HP's
Caboose.jpg (152.63 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Thats because if you want to change sets mid-game, you have to use cht:graphics - it still doesn't work that well. You should really start a new game rather than continuing a previous one.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Putcha
Engineer
Engineer

AC-6

Post by Putcha »

I have 1 question:
Need AC-6 tender?
My english isn´t good.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

yes - ac6 needs a tender
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Please can you make a version without the extras such as crossings. They mess up my other graphics. They shouldnt be mixed anyway, just because i use USSet trains doesnt mean i should have to use certain roads to go with them.
I say roads should be left to roadsets and trains can go on their own too!

If you wish to have extra, have a seperate pack for them :?

Edit:

And the doodle bugs carriages are too squished too.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If you will read the readme, you will find that there are parameters to turn off all the extra stuff, including the crossings; and when the roads are added there will certainly be a parameter to turn them off as well.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I was pointed to a 'glitch' in the European Roadset in combination with the USset. The RR gates included in the USset are a mismatch with my European Roadset. My question is: is there a switch to choose for the standard USset RR gates or are they switched on by default? If the latter is true, I think you should add a parameter to switch of the default USset RR gates.
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

I thought people on these forums read readmes...
US Set readme wrote:Parameter 0 (value 1) will deactivate the American grade crossings included with the set, in case you have another roadset installed.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hehe, I'll refer the person to it :wink: . And no, I myself don't use the USset :shock: .
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well, its a huge readme. And i'm not going to read it word for word..
I will however read sections of it when i deem them useful. So all you need to point out is that the graphics have parameters!
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

That's the wrong attitude. You should at least have a look at all the headings to see what they are and to see which ones it might be worth reading. Obviously you don't need to read the technical data tables but everything down to there, in fact, is very important and should be read :roll:.
You see, me answering posts like this means that I have less time to make modifications and so the next version will be longer away...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Looks like we need a new acronym: RTFRM :lol:

Return to “Graphics Releases”