US Set available [Trains v0.87.4d released 27 April 2008]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

NICE! :D

Couple of things still seem to be missing though
- Modern Hi-Cube Reefer
- Single Stacked Container Flatcars

Will play with the set when I get home
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Well, we're getting into January now and I'm off to university again soon, so (despite having very little free time) I decided to polish off the Toronto Union Station (TUS) so that you guys could enjoy it.
I'm afraid the station building method is a bit forced but you can basically do what you want, just a little slowly. As described in the readme, to build a functioning station you should:
  1. Build a 3-platform station to construct the station building and one platform.
  2. Build additional platforms, one or two at a time, to get to the station size that you want.
  3. Add buffer stops and/or a vehicle entrance ramp to the station as required.
Sorry about the inconvenience - it's the only way to (virtually) guarantee that you'll get a reasonable station.
Enjoy playing, and sorry about the slow release!

All changes in stations version 0.86:
  • Added Toronto Union Station (TUS), including four station parts: main station, buffer stops (north and south) and entrance ramp.
Attachments
usstatsw.zip
US Stations Set version 0.86 for Windows
(129.89 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
usstats.zip
US Stations Set version 0.86 for DOS
(129.06 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Glad to have it going! Hope you've got more time at winter break!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

here is a pic of toronto station im using the dos version
Attachments
Scr64.png
Scr64.png (61.65 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

hehe that station is almost as big as the city itself :P, it looks good though. I guess I'll have another go with the US-set.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Hi, is there any way of enabling engines for all climates? I was a bit disappointed to find that the NYC Hudson was available only in sub-tropical when it operated in northeast of America. I even saw a screenshot of the Hudson in its silver livery, in Temperate, on the US Set site whereas I can only get black Hudsons with brown carriages in sub-tropical. The same goes for many other engines, such as the Daylight, which also had a Temperate screenshot and operated in the mid-west Chicago area, but is excluded from Temperate in the game.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm surprised you had that issue, as we haven't really divided the locos all the way yet.

The streamlined Hudson is a random livery. Keep buying Hudsons and you'll get one eventually.

The Daylight, I believe, is indeed in the Southwest only, because that was its most famous home. We have other locos occupying that some ecological niche in the other climates, because otherwise we have way too many locos and many of them never get used. The idea is for each climate to have a somewhat different mix of locos so the games play differently.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Sorry, I don't understand what you're talking about when referring to the Hudson. I've read the changelog for 0.85 (I'm using 0.86 because there wasn't anything about the Hudson in the 0.86 changelog) and found this:
Added non-streamlined Hudson as replacement in all three climates - 20th Century Limited livery now available only in temperate and not until 1938.
But as you can see, there is no Hudson in Temperate, and only one type in Sub-tropical.
Attachments
SCR13.png
SCR13.png (108.12 KiB) Viewed 865 times
SCR12.png
SCR12.png (129.11 KiB) Viewed 899 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Concerning the Sub-tropical, the Hudson you see is the non-streamlined version. The silver streamlined 20th Century Ltd. one never operated in the Southwest. (The Daylight would have occupied that ecological niche.)

For the Temperate, I'm not sure of the problem. I've gotten the Hudson, and the 20th Century variant, just fine in the Temperate. Has anyone else? Maybe there's a GRF-conflict issue? Oracle, do you have any thoughts?
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I think the streamlined version comes much later than the normal Hudson..atleast what i remember.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, that's true too. And only randomly.
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

I've got a similar problem, I don't know about the other climates, but in temperate I never see the Hudson in any livery, shape or form.
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Yes, yes, that's really what I've been talking about. :( I've read the readme/manual, and apparently the Hudson is only available in Sub-tropical(?). It has a S in its climate box, as opposed to T or a blank space.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Hmm. It's supposed to be available in all three, I think. The only one who can answer for sure is Oracle, who did the coding. I haven't seen him in a while though. Has anyone heard from him? You could try a PM. Or, Dan would know the historical argument, though I can't imagine that it wouldn't be available in Temperate.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

It's confirmed... the Hudson is not in Temperate. The non-streamlined should be available 1927, streamlined 1938 (Streamlined/20th Century is Temperate only)

Oracle's still at University isn't he? I haven't seen him around lately
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, then, that's officially a Bug. And a bad one, since I really like the Hudson.

I would imagine Oracle is at university, but doesn't he check in on occasion?
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Phew...the US Set was extraordinarily fun to play it, and now I see why it's a 'transition' set; it was sad to be forced to replace all my steam engines.. :( After the introduction of ETDs, however, I found a slight problem: the ETDs made trains just too long for their stations! A normal train, with 1 tile taken up by its engine and 4 by its wagons would fit neatly into a 5-tile long station. ETDs, however, made the train too long for the station, so signals got messed up (see pictures), unsafe train reverse messages cropped up and PBS became useless because trains kept reserving a tiny bit of track just behind them. (I was also surprised that two trains crashed because one touched the other's ETD ;)). Is there no way to make the ETDs take up less space?
Attachments
SCR257.png
SCR257.png (112.03 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
SCR253.png
SCR253.png (139.87 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

White Rabbit wrote:Is there no way to make the ETDs take up less space?
Yes, but it would nearly double the number of required sprites.

And why not just make the station one square longer, or signal with the additional length in mind? That's my solution.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, for the Canadian Set (And possibly the NARS), I'm dropping the ETD. Only one livery of each style of modern railcar would have it, basically adding the same amount of sprites as one new livery.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

DaleStan wrote: Yes, but it would nearly double the number of required sprites.

And why not just make the station one square longer, or signal with the additional length in mind? That's my solution.
I thought ETDs replaced the cabooses? Having an ETD at the end of the train should free up space for one extra wagon but currently ETDs are many, many times shorter than cabooses, yet they take up the same amount of 'space', which is entirely unrealistic because it's basically a flashing light.

Return to “Graphics Releases”