US Set available [Trains v0.87.4d released 27 April 2008]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

The whole set looks verry nice, some wagons are a little dark (first passenger and mail wagon) but its just a minor point.
One thing i just noticed is that the smoke plumes from the cab-ahead do not appear from the chimney but from the center steamdome, however its verry hard to see and i guess tricky to solve.
Keep on doing the good work :D
To all persons on the credits list Thx, great job
Attachments
smoke from centerdome
smoke from centerdome
cabahead.png (14.45 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Cornelius, you are right. That'll teach me for not testing all possible load states...
New version uploaded both here and in the first post. Readme is also updated too.
Changelog:
  • Mispositioning of loaded small coal hoppers corrected.
  • Improved positioning of steam from AC-6 Cab-Forward.
Patchman wrote:Do you want me to make this set available at http://www.ttdpatch.net/newgrf.html ? If you prefer I can make only a link to this thread there, too. Otherwise just say "yes" and let me know how to write the credit and what link to use for it.
Yes, as krtaylor said, it can probably go up there in a week or two.
I will probably send a message to the TTDPatch mailing list about it tonight or tomorrow and will point them at this thread when that occurs.
simmer wrote:Idea for the ETD: why not make a waggon overide when it comes available? I mean: E T W W W We

(E)ngine
(T)ender
(W)aggon
(We)waggen w/ back light(ETD)
So then you don't have to buy a seperate ETD and have the bug :wink: .
Already discussed. It would need too many sprites as each load state of each cargo wagon would need one. Therefore it can't really be done.
Zimmlock wrote:One thing i just noticed is that the smoke plumes from the cab-ahead do not appear from the chimney but from the center steamdome, however its verry hard to see and i guess tricky to solve.
They were supposed to come from the chimney and nearly did. Anyway, I've now changed this to improve it. There are some problems but it does look better :wink:.
Attachments
ussetw.zip
Windows US Set v0.81
(250.99 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
usset.zip
DOS US Set v0.81
(248.15 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

simmer wrote:Idea for the ETD: why not make a waggon overide when it comes available?
An excellent suggestion, and in fact that was the first plan. BUT for this to work, we would have to have alternate sprites for every single freightcar, in every single position, in every single color, in every single load-state... It would have been a ridiculous amount of work, to avoid a relatively minor bug, and we said "Phooey! We'll live with it."
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Regarding player-colour repaints of some things, I'd be willing to have a go at those at some point, plus the other thing that seems out-of-place: replacing the DB-style signals for right-hand running. I've seen some of the signalling used on the Northeast Corridor, and flashes of some of the signals used elsewhere, though some more guidance would be useful when this comes along, especially for semaphore signals.
Attachments
At normal size and 200%.  Set on right have grey patches for the light locations, for testing.
At normal size and 200%. Set on right have grey patches for the light locations, for testing.
nec_signals.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 8027 times
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

We have had the thought of proper American signals before, but never had anyone to draw them. Thanks for volunteering! Your draft ones look excellent and I'd actually take them just as they are, but you do need versions for the special Patch signaling types - which will be fun, because the Pennsy system was quite complicated and included provision for "home" signals, "away" signals, "distance" signals, and all manner of other things, so there's plenty of cool patterns to choose for every occasion. The next update of the US set technical website will include a page for signals, featuring these fine samples of yours, and any links I can find.

:bow:
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

I like them very much too :D.
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

well.

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

i think those signals look a little bit too big. ive changed my ttd signals to searchlight type, but im sure some of you would say they were too small. in any case...

ive been playng with the new set but havnt had much testing time, i dont know if this was covered but when you try to put a carrage on the doodlebug, it couples at nearly the center of the power car. just for testing i put another behind that, and it also couples wrong. so far thats all ive come across.

i have to go play it again...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: well.

Post by krtaylor »

norfolksouthern37 wrote: ive been playng with the new set but havnt had much testing time, i dont know if this was covered but when you try to put a carrage on the doodlebug, it couples at nearly the center of the power car. just for testing i put another behind that, and it also couples wrong. so far thats all ive come across.
The spacing in the depot is DIFFERENT from the spacing on the track. Not sure why, but it's true for all the trains. So it looks wrong in the depot, but right on the track.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

The disableing of other sets ... well, does not work 100% though...
A class 083 Pendolino Booster Unit somehow made it into the list
Attachments
SCR15.png
SCR15.png (78.18 KiB) Viewed 7959 times
Last edited by Colonel32 on 12 Jul 2004 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Colonel32 wrote:The disableing of other sets ... well, does not work 100% though...
A class 083 Pendolino Booster Unit somehow made it into the list
That's because the US set can only disable sets that come BEFORE it in the newgrfw.cfg file. It can't disable things that come after because it doesn't know they're there yet, no GRF file can. You have to put the US set last after all other trainsets in the list, with a few exceptions, as discussed extensively in the readme file.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

krtaylor wrote:That's because the US set can only disable sets that come BEFORE it in the newgrfw.cfg file.
You mean AFTER, right?
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

ChrisCF wrote:
krtaylor wrote:That's because the US set can only disable sets that come BEFORE it in the newgrfw.cfg file.
You mean AFTER, right?
No, he means both :wink: :P.
It overwrites all the settings for any set coming before it (well, almost all of them) and disables ones after it.
But it doesn't know about every GRF file. How can it? If you read the readme it will tell you that, I believe. I have no idea which set the (poorly-aligned) Pendolino is from so I cannot disable it.
You'll have to turn it off manually, Colonel32.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

the 083 Pendolino Booster unit comes from the previously unreleased CSDset v2.0, which I was currently alphatesting.

All orher traincars were disabled, but seems like this one uses an ID that the US set is not using, therefore it didn't overwrite it.

Just a though, though...
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

ok, there is a big error in the manual

Particularly at the height of the steam era, American railroads were second to none in speed, performance, and style

im sorry, but officially england has the fastest steam locamotive (A4 Mallard)!

performance: maybe.

style: im sorry, but you just can beat some of the british steam engines (BofB and Merchant Navy Class in particular)
[edit] and you just cant beat the Q1s ;) [/edit]

yes, i know you can argue with the above statements: but dont bother, you know they are right ;)

anyway, congrats on this set (i still have to play it before i can tell you its a superb set ;) )
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Read it more carefully. I didn't say the American railroads were better than everyone else, I simply said nobody else was better. I love the British steam locomotives too. The American ones are beautiful also - totally different, but beautiful. I'm not saying that they're better, just that they're not inferior.

As far as speed, well, the "highest steam speed" rating is somewhat contested. The NYC's Empire State Express supposedly bested that, as did (less famously) the Hiawatha. Nobody will ever know for sure, as the relevant engines have all been scrapped. :cry:

I think Colonel's answer is the correct one: the US set can only disable specific sets it knows about. It'll overwrite anything it needs, but if there's an ID it doesn't use that something else fills, then that something else might "show through" the hole.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

speed: at the height of steam era US had several express trains clocked at 90-100 mph in regular service. Brits had none (afair :p). At least three locomotives could best A4 in top speed: A class Hiawatha, J3a Hudson and that Pennsy 4-4-4-4 we didn't include.

performance: up to this day US freighters excel in performance over european counterparts

style: europe didn't have all the culture around railroads. In the '30 us RRs were empires, they had the biggest locos, the most luxury trains and the fastest schedules - they pretty much ruled the country - If there was a railroad, there was life and development. If not - then nothing happend. Even now some euro RR cannot match speed and class of those trains!

BTW - Brit locos are puny :p French and German were the best ^^
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

It's not the size, it's what you do with it, and you'd be surprised what you can do with 9-foot tall stock :P
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

krtaylor wrote:Read it more carefully. I didn't say the American railroads were better than everyone else, I simply said nobody else was better
which pretty much implies the same thing....(liberal use of pretty much)

and about performance: we are talking about steam era not modern. but surely the loco that has the best performance is the one best suited to the task (if you follow), basically us locs in uk would suck, and the same vise versa...
style is a matter of opinion.
anyway this well get too off-topic if people keep replying (so i wont after this)

i can imagine one bug: addictiveness (well, i would like to go to bed tonight...)

and once again well done...

[edit]you should add mammothtrains on to the variables to set in ttdpatch.cfg!!![/edit]
Last edited by John on 12 Jul 2004 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

John wrote:i can imagine one bug: addictiveness (well, i would like to go to bed tonight...)
Yeah, but it inherits that bug from the core game...
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

How fast was the A4 Mallard, BTW? 'cause S1 PRR 6-4-4-6 Duplex kicked out 227 Km/h. I just love that one. BTW - so there still are some free slot in the usset? Are the reserved for stuff like class C Shay, or are there some "really" free spots, so that if I drew this beast, it could be available as an add-on to the set?

Return to “Graphics Releases”