Improved Town Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Improved Town Industries

Post by 2TallTyler »

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

A Gamescript author asked me about some of the location checks and I realized they were a mess, so I refactored behind the curtain, then found a few places for improvement. Most notably, I fleshed out the "industry tycoon" gameplay possible by use of the "Generate Primary Industries Only" parameter.

• Add: Processing industries in towns are now grouped into "industrial zones," within 15 tiles of another industry
  • Change: Rebalanced industry funding costs — see the industry tech tree for gameplay info
  • Change: Rebalanced cargo payment rates to new industry funding costs
    • Reduced payments for primary and secondary bulk cargos (Wood, Oil, Uranium, Lumber, Steel, Waste) to incentivize completing further steps of the industry chain
    • Increased payment for Chemicals
    • Reduced payment for Goods
  • Change: Coal, Iron, and Uranium mines may build near towns
  • Change: Removed industry clustering mechanic, which wasn't noticable and was causing problems
  • Fix: When Generating Primary Industries Only, removed incorrect errors created by Sawmills and Nuclear Fuel Plants
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

2TallTyler wrote:within 15 tiles of another industry
Can this be configurable?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

perverted monkey wrote: 17 Dec 2020 07:24
2TallTyler wrote:within 15 tiles of another industry
Can this be configurable?
In general I try to avoid unnecessary configuration settings which serve only to confuse users. There are plenty of limits chosen through iterative testing which cannot be controlled by users: required town population per industry, distance to town center, introduction date, production rate, distance between secondary industries of the same type, and more.

Industrial zone clustering should not be an undue limitation on players, because funded industries have no restrictions on their placement. It just influences how industries created by the game (during map generation and randomly during a game) appear. If there's no space for an industry to spawn within 15 tiles of another town industry, that industry will simply be placed in another town.

That said, if you can convince me of a legitimate reason for a player to configure any of these options, I would be happy to add such a feature. :)
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

In general I try to avoid unnecessary configuration settings
The reason I asked is that some members have discussed about creating industries that cover many more tiles than what we are accustomed too. In such sets clustering might fail. Otherwise 15 is a balanced number.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

perverted monkey wrote: 18 Dec 2020 04:20 The reason I asked is that some members have discussed about creating industries that cover many more tiles than what we are accustomed too.
Using industry tile objects or station tiles? Or larger industries themselves? This NewGRF adds new industries that happen to look like old industries...it will not change the behavior of other industry NewGRFs (and is incompatible with any other NewGRF which defines cargos).
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Or larger industries themselves?
Larger industries.
But:
adds new industries that happen to look like old industries
:Your set doesn't include larger industries as in mimics the original ones in size too.
is incompatible with any other NewGRF which defines cargos
: The other sets probably will define new cargos.
OK now I got it. Thanks for clarification.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

• Add: Arabic translation by AviationGamerX
  • Add: French translation by arikover
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I Know you are probably not too keen on messing with snow sprites - but these trees staying frosty in the summer is a little odd:
Frosty Trees.PNG
(415.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

supermop wrote: 27 Dec 2020 18:43 I Know you are probably not too keen on messing with snow sprites - but these trees staying frosty in the summer is a little odd:
Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed this earlier. As far as I know, there is no way to access the snow-free tree sprites in the sub-arctic climate. These are the same sprite numbers, but OpenTTD swaps the actual sprite somehow. I suppose I could add OpenGFX sprites and would accept a PR which does this, but to be perfectly honest, I would rather work on other projects right now. :)

I do have a minor update, 1.7.3, which adds a Swedish translation and a parameter to change the town population required per secondary industry. This would let you play a town growth challenge game, where you need to grow towns before any secondary industries will spawn. Could be fun. :D It also changes some cargo colours to better suit the dark background graphs in OpenTTD 1.11.
pankratz
Engineer
Engineer

Grain -> chemicals

Post by pankratz »

Hi there,

so far I really like your two NewGRFs, thanks a lot for implementing this idea!

I got the problem in my game that Grain truck/Hopper can only load chemicals. That confuses me a lot and my people are starving. 8) (Also the Livestock Boxcar can load lumber.) I only activated the both "Improved..."-NewGRFs.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

You need a NewGRF vehicle set to carry NewGRF cargos. There are a lot of options but you could use OpenGFX+ Trains if you want the base game trains with full cargo availability, or if you’re looking to expand a bit while keeping the OpenTTD aesthetic I like Iron Horse 2 (trains), Mop Extended Road Vehicles, and Squid Ate Fish (FISH 2).
pankratz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pankratz »

Thank you for your fast answer. I did read over this requirement in your readme. "OpenGFX+ Trains" did the job. I will test your other suggestions. I did peek into some sets some time ago, but there were always far to much vehicles to choose from for my taste. ;)

edit: "Mop Extended Road Vehicles" also got no food cargo.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

pankratz wrote: 09 Apr 2021 12:30 edit: "Mop Extended Road Vehicles" also got no food cargo.
I suspect you loaded it without changing the NewGRF parameters. By default, all its vehicles are disabled (not sure why), so you'll need to go in and enable all the vehicle types.
pankratz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pankratz »

:oops:

Like I remembered, waaay too much vehicles. ;) I will start with +Trains.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

I remember when I played improved town industry for the first time, how it's works there it killed me. All passengers were directed to a nearby factory and not to nearby cities, it seemed to me very weak and tiring because I had to disconnect these connections from the main network. I know you did something to prevent the factories from generating a lot of passengers, and the other way around?

My second question can i play WITH!!!!! BSPI ?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Gravelpit, maybe it is cargodist setting issue, try to play with 'Amount of returning cargo in symmetric mode',
for example 75% instead of 100%.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Passengers as workers is rather...broken. Mines can be larger sources of traffic than your cities, and you can get paid for workers happily shuffling from one mine to another eternally. I'm thinking of redoing this in the style of either YETI industries (separate Workers and Tired Workers cargos) or Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic (workers only go to work, then teleport home), but it would likely be under ITI 2 or perhaps a new name entirely. Stay tuned. :)

ITI is just an industry set which uses the default graphics, not a change to how the game handles industries. It is incompatible with BSPI.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

pankratz wrote: 09 Apr 2021 12:30 Thank you for your fast answer. I did read over this requirement in your readme. "OpenGFX+ Trains" did the job. I will test your other suggestions. I did peek into some sets some time ago, but there were always far to much vehicles to choose from for my taste. ;)
Try OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. Same vehicles as original, will carry NewGRF food cargoes.
2TallTyler wrote: 10 Apr 2021 14:03 (separate Workers and Tired Workers cargos) ...

This always looked like ugly titles, but a nicer sounding "Commuting to Work" and "Commuting to Home" is a bit more wordy, and also kinda ugly... I know i'm probably not any help here LOL
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

1.7.6 is now out, adding Simplified Chinese and Russian translations.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Will 1.7.4 tropic alpha work with normal version 1.7.6? I like those tropical industries, but I miss the rest.

Return to “Graphics Releases”