Improved Town Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Improved Town Industries

Post by KeepinItRail »

I’m trying out the new waste collection and am messing up somewhere :( I’m in the early 1900s and am collecting waste with a truck from a stop in the city and am bringing it to a coal plant. The coal plant stop does say it accepts waste but the truck doesn’t unload so my truck going back and forth but never gets rid of the waste it has and both stops are accumulating waste now and no deliveries being made. Is it because the coal plant stop also generates waste or what orders should I be giving the truck?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

KeepinItRail wrote: 08 Sep 2020 08:04 I’m trying out the new waste collection and am messing up somewhere :( I’m in the early 1900s and am collecting waste with a truck from a stop in the city and am bringing it to a coal plant. The coal plant stop does say it accepts waste but the truck doesn’t unload so my truck going back and forth but never gets rid of the waste it has and both stops are accumulating waste now and no deliveries being made. Is it because the coal plant stop also generates waste or what orders should I be giving the truck?
If your Power Plant truck stop has houses in its catchment area, the truck will pick up waste even though there's nowhere to transport it but right back to the same station. This is a limitation of the base game, but you can solve it by giving the truck an "Unload and Leave Empty" order at the Power Plant station. Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem.
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

2TallTyler wrote: 08 Sep 2020 14:37
If your Power Plant truck stop has houses in its catchment area, the truck will pick up waste even though there's nowhere to transport it but right back to the same station. This is a limitation of the base game, but you can solve it by giving the truck an "Unload and Leave Empty" order at the Power Plant station. Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem.
That worked!
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

So, I've been playing around with this set quite a bit lately, quite enjoying it's relative simplicity compared to some other industry sets, but I've encountered a bit of an issue when it comes to using it alongside house sets (tested with JapanSet, Swedish Houses, and TTRS) besides Improved Town Layouts. Namely, no houses seem to accept food from Improved Town Industries (1.5.1), while happily accepting food from sets like XIS and FIRS. Any chance for this to be fixed?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Darthrafael wrote: 21 Sep 2020 20:18 So, I've been playing around with this set quite a bit lately, quite enjoying it's relative simplicity compared to some other industry sets, but I've encountered a bit of an issue when it comes to using it alongside house sets (tested with JapanSet, Swedish Houses, and TTRS) besides Improved Town Layouts. Namely, no houses seem to accept food from Improved Town Industries (1.5.1), while happily accepting food from sets like XIS and FIRS. Any chance for this to be fixed?
Thanks for the report. Those house sets must be hard-coded to accept food with its ID, 0x0B, instead of a the modern cargo label FOOD. I can change food to its original cargo ID and fix this in the next update, probably sometime in October.

In the meantime, factories accept food and convert it into goods (canning, baking, brewing?), so there is a place to ship it no matter the house set.
stb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stb »

Hi there,

Any plans about adding stockpiling behaviour to ITI?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

stb wrote: 21 Sep 2020 22:29 Hi there,

Any plans about adding stockpiling behaviour to ITI?
Nope. Stockpiling doesn't fit with my vision for the set. But anyone is welcome to fork the project into something else, or add stockpiling as an option in parameters and submit a pull request. Just wait until after the 1.6.0 update next month, since there are some major changes under the hood. :)
astralmati
Engineer
Engineer

Post by astralmati »

It will be very nice to see some animated smoke for extra industrial feeling :mrgreen: or even different look? i really like how FIRS or ECS industries look.
In ECS power plant changes look dependent on era, which is super cool feature in my opinion. :mrgreen:
We are all mad here :mrgreen:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

astralmati wrote: 22 Sep 2020 16:08 It will be very nice to see some animated smoke for extra industrial feeling :mrgreen:
Good idea. I'll see what I can do in the next update.
astralmati wrote: 22 Sep 2020 16:08 or even different look? i really like how FIRS or ECS industries look.
In ECS power plant changes look dependent on era, which is super cool feature in my opinion. :mrgreen:
New sprites are out of scope for this project, but I'm open to building a new industry set in the future using new graphics and lessons learned from ITI. I am also interested in sprites changing by era.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The 1.6.0 Beta is ready for testing! It adds a nuclear energy chain, expands the wood->goods chain by adding a sawmill and lumber, reworks a lot of code behind the scenes to play nicely, and more. You can grab the grf from GitHub, as well as the 1.3.0 Beta of Improved Town Layouts required for the Waste & Recycling changes. Please let me know any bugs, feedback, or suggestions.

I am aiming for a full release on Bananas later in October.
daniel_vaneev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daniel_vaneev »

Hi!
This industry set looks very interesting and smart!
Which city growth/economy script is it compatible with? As I found, some scripts need fuel, some construction materials delivered to cities, but they are not presented in this industry set. Original city growth model seems to be too dull.
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

I like using Renewed Village Growth. You can select ITI (or other industry sets) in the parameters to make the script consider the relevant cargoes.

I think the ITI + RVG combo works well since ITI already encourages passenger and industry interplay, RVG just formalises it. The are three cargo categories which I feel is a better number. More manageable and allows me to get on with the game.
daniel_vaneev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daniel_vaneev »

Thank you. Could you explain me, how to understand delivering raw materials to the city in RVG? I have one city and RVG says that I have to deliver oil in it, but there are no any oil accepting plant around the city. May be it makes sense in another industry set, not ITI?
Also a stockpile concept, what is it?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I second KeepInItRail: RVG is a good script which supports ITI cargos. I also like Villages Is Villages and Neighbors Are Important.
daniel_vaneev wrote: 15 Nov 2020 20:10 Thank you. Could you explain me, how to understand delivering raw materials to the city in RVG? I have one city and RVG says that I have to deliver oil in it, but there are no any oil accepting plant around the city. May be it makes sense in another industry set, not ITI?
Also a stockpile concept, what is it?
I'm not sure, since I didn't create RVG. You'd be better off asking in the RVG thread.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The Atomic Update is here! I've been busy this fall and considered releasing this as a 2.0 release, there are just that many changes and new features.

Note that if you're using Improved Town Layouts, you'll need to update that to 1.3.0 (also released today).

This will likely be the last feature update and I'll call the project done except for any bugfixes, translations, and compatibility updates. Let me know any bugs or feedback.

• Fix: German translation
  • Add: German translation by WoelfiVW
  • Codechange: Remove unused strings from depreciated parameters
1.6.0:
  • Add: Nuclear Energy chain
    • Uranium Mine
      • Accepts Chemicals
      • Produces Uranium, Passengers
    • Nuclear Fuel Plant
      • Accepts Uranium, Nuclear Waste
      • Produces Nuclear Fuel, Passengers
    • Power Plant (existing industry)
      • Accepts Nuclear Fuel, Oil, Coal, Waste
      • Produces Nuclear Waste, Passengers
  • Add: Oil Rigs are back! (identical to Vanilla)
  • Add: Sawmill processes Wood into Lumber
  • Add: Forest produces Wood (replaces Logging Camp, identical to vanilla Forest)
  • Add: Farms accept Waste; feeding it to the pigs generates 1 ton of Food per 4 tons of Waste delivered (Recycled Materials has a 1:1 ratio, incentivizing a change once the Recycling Center is invented in 1945)
  • Add: Secondary industry passenger production is scaled to cargo deliveries
    • Each industry employs 1 worker per 4 units of cargo delivered
    • Symmetric Cargodist should route passengers back to the industry as workers headed to work
    • Passengers are no longer "Requires" cargos but are still accepted by industry tiles
  • Add: Secondary industries now close if cargo is not delivered for 5 years (vanilla behavior, previously disrupted by passenger generation)
  • Add: Waste & Recycling now compatible with other house sets which generate Waste
    • Improved Town Layouts
    • OpenGFX Mars Houses - Late Start
  • Add: Error messages for incompatible industry NewGRFs now specifies which NewGRF is incompatible
  • Fix: Coal and Iron Mines now have a safety valve on their clustering mechanic, preventing a deadlock where the next mine is required to be within 100 tiles of another mine, but no owning town is within range
  • Change: Transporting Waste pays slightly more
  • Change: Waste & Recycling parameter text and error now requires Improved Town Layouts 1.3.0 (removes year >= 1882 limit for Waste production, now that Farms accept Waste)
  • Change: Use base game industry count management instead of handling it within ITI
  • Removed: Parameter for Logging Camp to act like Sub-Tropic Lumber Mill
stb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stb »

Hi there,

Sawmills don't accept passengers?
Also, what about Farms producing Grain and Livestock. I'm missing these types of cargos.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Thanks for the report.

• Fix: Sawmills accept passengers
stb wrote: 21 Nov 2020 04:44 Also, what about Farms producing Grain and Livestock. I'm missing these types of cargos.
Grain and Livestock are gone. I didn't find them particularly interesting, since they had the same origin and destination, and wanted Farms to have a purpose before the Factory is invented in 1800. Farms now produce Food which can go directly to towns or can be brought to a Factory for processing into Goods, netting the player some additional income and/or adding it to a potential cargodist Goods distribution network.
Guitou
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guitou »

Hi, I've been trying to understand which GRF I have to download to have trucks being able to carry this "food".
Can you give me the link to the propers vehicles file required for the two "improved town" mods ?

Thank you !

by the way, GREAT MOD :D
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Any road vehicle NewGRF should do. I like Road Hog, which is available by searching the in-game content downloader.
Guitou
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guitou »

oki :) so maybe it's because I activated the GRF via the console on my saved game.
I'll restart the game from scratch !

Return to “Graphics Releases”