Improved Town Layouts

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Improved Town Layouts

Post by 2TallTyler »

Which shopping mall? The 2x2 tile one with the glass roof? I am able to bulldoze any building, and don't think it's even possible to block the magic bulldozer.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

itl_subtropic_small.png
itl_subtropic_small.png (311.49 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
A large city (too large a screenshot to embed):
subtropic.png
(678.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.4.0 beta 1 is out, with subtropic houses! I've completely reworked how houses are chosen from the Temperate climate (and will probably go back and redo that once I'm happy with subtropic), now calculating the land value of each tile based on a variety of properties and choosing the house accordingly. Like the Temperate climate, there are features for larger suburbs, improved downtowns, and better landmarks which persist through the life of a town. For more information, see the Readme on GitHub.

Please let me know any questions, concerns, or suggestions.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

Found a weird regression in 1.4.0 beta 1 (or possibly 1.3.4; 1.3.3 is fine) - the low density Shop seems to have disappeared. Started a new 1700s game and can't find anywhere to take food. I don't see it in the scenario editor, either. The people hunger!
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Thanks for the report. I believe I broke it in the 1.4.0 beta when I added subtropic houses. I’m in the middle of moving but will try to fix and release perhaps this coming weekend.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

1.4.0 beta 2 is now on BaNaNaS, and shops work properly now. I had accidentally overridden the temperate shop with the subtropic one.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

Yay, thank you! Though I look forward to trying out the subtropical goodies too..
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

does it have an effect for "town zones" in custom settings? i mean can i play in JGRPP paths?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Despite the name, this is just a house set. It should work fine with custom town zone sizes in JGRPP.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

gravelpit wrote: 24 May 2021 08:50 does it have an effect for "town zones" in custom settings? i mean can i play in JGRPP paths?
Disabling town zone 0 (Outer most suburbs) will pretty well kill town growth irrespective of anything else.

Town zone bands are determined purely as a function of the city size and exist before each town building gets placed.

If the town buildings have restrictions on where they are placed based on town zones, then they will be affected by the JGR town zone patch.

However, I suspect ITL is doing waaaaaaay more intelligent computations for where to place buildings than the rudimentary town zoning method and it may very well end up functionally ignoring what's going on with town zone bands in order to create its own little density pockets, etc.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
oby
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oby »

Hi,

I've played over 50 years. Started 1980. The town growth is very slow and I have gaps between office and suburbs. After that the suburbs are developing normally. I have attached a screenshot.

Version of Improved Town Layouts is 1.4.0 beta3. I've tried to build passenger stations, to see if the office buildings are spreading, but no the growth is still slow. Even when I am level the town growth to fastest.

Do you have any idea?
Capture.PNG
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Thanks for the report. I had mis-coded the small houses used for infill to exclude TOWNZONE_CENTRE — the zone where roads have streetlamps. It has nothing to do with offices or passenger stations, although passenger service is a great way to increase land value for offices to generate. You may have noticed that buildings with a 1CC recolor palette change color based on the land value. The reason you aren't seeing more office buildings is because there's a population requirement for each, to force suburbs and a small downtown core.

1.4.0 beta 4 is now out on Bananas, fixing the infill houses. Let me know if you have any other problems or questions. :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I haven't had any changes to the beta and adpro contributed a Czech translation, so we're out of beta and in 1.4.0! As always, thanks to all translators. :)
TTDManager689
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTDManager689 »

Hi There. I did used the ITL Grf recently however I just realise the how buildings have removed or changed so quickly during gameplay, it has affecting some stations to accept goods, mail etc.

So I'm wondering Is there anything to fix this and maybe add some parameters ways to make those buildings stay longer?

Thank you for reading. :wink:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

That's an issue with how buildings work in OpenTTD. Some buildings in ITL stay forever to avoid this, but not all -- otherwise the town center would never get skyscrapers and other modern buildings. There's one building in particular, the Shop, which appears in every town and never disappears on its own. It has a distinct sprite in original TTD graphics and OpenGFX2, although in OpenGFX it looks like a regular house. But it accepts Passengers, Mail, Goods, and Food, so if you can find it, it'll be a reliable destination for your deliveries.
TTDManager689
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTDManager689 »

2TallTyler wrote: 04 Jan 2024 12:21 That's an issue with how buildings work in OpenTTD. Some buildings in ITL stay forever to avoid this, but not all -- otherwise the town center would never get skyscrapers and other modern buildings. There's one building in particular, the Shop, which appears in every town and never disappears on its own. It has a distinct sprite in original TTD graphics and OpenGFX2, although in OpenGFX it looks like a regular house. But it accepts Passengers, Mail, Goods, and Food, so if you can find it, it'll be a reliable destination for your deliveries.
Hi 2talltyler, I'm amazed you're still here and thank you for the answer, I'm appreciated. :) (I know you've the one for this GRF.)

I see how you meant. If it's a way the game does as in default then I understand. (And yeah I already know what is a shop looked like!) XD

I'm not sure If I'll be able to configure it with credit or the game script, would I? :?:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Personally, I made sure to add Garry's Auz Town Industry set. This is not an industrial set, but purely just houses receiving various goods. I'm not sure how much this will affect the behavior of ITL Houses though, and I'm already using version 2. :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I don't know for sure, but I think a slower growth speed would decrease the "churn" of buildings being destroyed and replaced. You can change that in the settings, or use a town growth script like Renewed Village Growth or Villages Is Villages.

Alternatively, you can always use a different house set. I'm partial to UK Towns And Industries (TAI, and it doesn't actually provide industries) and play with that or Swedish Houses more than I use ITL. :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I also use ITL only as a supplement. It is indeed "incompatible", but it seems to me that ITL will still do its thing there, and in addition, I have the shop and warehouse in addition to those from other sets. I set the growth extremely slow and I am satisfied. But the script is better, because from a certain size the city will simply start growing quickly anyway...

Return to “Graphics Releases”