Improved Town Layouts

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Improved Town Layouts

Post by 2TallTyler »

1.1.2 is now released on BaNaNaS.
  • Add: Parameter to reduce population of early buildings, for better balance with slower and smaller early vehicles
    • 1700-1850: 1/4 population
    • 1850-1950: 1/2 population
  • Change: Population requirement for old stadium updated for reduced early population
  • Change: Availability end dates for prewar commercial buildings now staggered to make the shift to skyscrapers more organic
andythenorth wrote: 07 Jun 2020 07:26 I dug through forums to see if I could find any more about licensing
Andy, my sincerest apologies for completely neglecting to reply to your post. Thank you for taking the time to help. My excuses not to develop a full American-styled house set are fading fast. :)
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

Ok. Thanks. And yes, it did find it.
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

I haven't yet played about with this NewGRF, so I don't know if what I'm about to ask already exists, but do the town's in this mod respect the landscape? I've seen so many examples in OpenTTD of a town in a valley, and thought that it should end up looking something like Wuppertal in Germany, but it never becomes long and thin like Wuppertal, instead it just grows in the circular way that towns grow in OpenTTD...
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

No, this doesn’t influence where towns construct roads or houses. This is part of the game code and can’t be changed by NewGRFs. Instead, it replaces base game houses with new houses (using the same graphics), each with new rules allowing or disallowing their construction.

For example, a skyscraper only consents to be built if it’s within the coverage area of a station which received passengers last month, if it’s within 2 tiles of another skyscraper (and if not, if it’s the first skyscraper in town) and if the town has enough residential buildings to support the building. (To avoid a positive feedback loop, this doesn’t check the total town population but instead counts the number of houses, town houses, flats, etc., multiplies each by their population, then compares that with the number of existing skyscrapers multiplied by the population required to support each.)

If all of these checks are true, it is allowed and constructed. If any check fails, the building is not allowed and the town checks other buildings until it finds one which is allowed. All of this is in addition to the standard availability rules for town zones, years, etc.

Through careful planning and lots of testing, some interesting development patterns can result from the interplay of different buildings’ rules, even though there is no form of central planning or oversight.
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

So would an example like this be feasible to code into the NewGRF:
"If the ground level changes by x in y tiles from the town center, the town doesn't grow rapidly in that direction"
This way, it will still grow, but the algorithm would favour other locations...
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

That would be feasible to code into a base game patch, but not a NewGRF. If the game is an automobile, think of a game patch as modifications to the engine, transmission, and other mechanical systems while NewGRFs are new paint, reupholstered seats, or new tires. I am interested in working on this someday, but game patches are substantially more difficult to create, test, and get approved than a NewGRF, and I'll have to learn C++ first. :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

A small change which should keep markets from disappearing despite Food or Goods being delivered, if the delivery period is slightly more than a month.

• Change: Checks for cargos delivered last month (for construction or protection) now also checks this month, expanding the delivery window
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Construction sprites have arrived! A big thank you to jrook1445 for coding these and submitting a pull request.

Also, a compatibility update for the big Waste & Recycling feature in Improved Town Industries.

Add: Houses now have construction sprites! Thanks to jrook1445 for this contribution.
Add: Compatibility for Waste & Recycling in Improved Town Industries
Change: Landmark houses (Market, University, Stadiums, etc.) now permanently protected from town renewal. Can still be bulldozed by a player.
R-TEAM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R-TEAM »

Interesting idea ...
play it on JGR Patchpack 0.36.0... but have an gamebraking problem ...
After the first month in an new game (after 31.Jan) the town values for max Passangers and Max Post going nearly/or go to zero even in the largest Town.
Attachments
Unbenannt, 31. Jan 1930.jpg
(206.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Unbenannt, 1. Feb 1930.jpg
(206.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

R-TEAM wrote: 20 Sep 2020 01:35 Interesting idea ...
play it on JGR Patchpack 0.36.0... but have an gamebraking problem ...
After the first month in an new game (after 31.Jan) the town values for max Passangers and Max Post going nearly/or go to zero even in the largest Town.
Potentially this was corrected yesterday. Fix for 1.2.1 mentioned at https://github.com/2TallTyler/improved ... s/releases sounds similar to what you’ve seen.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Yes, this was fixed in 1.2.1. You can update via the in-game downloader. Thanks for the report.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

2TallTyler wrote: 20 Sep 2020 13:52 ...
Would it be possible for you to update the early housing from here to work more like Improved Town Layouts? It would be nice to see these sets in use with each other!
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I'm not interested in editing other NewGRFs at the moment, as I just went back to university for a career change and have lost the free time that was the silver lining of being unemployed and living in lockdown this summer. I'm working on an October update to ITL and ITI which may render them complete, and after that I have tentative plans to draw and code a new American house set with ITL-like behavior and start dates from about 1700.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

2TallTyler wrote: 22 Sep 2020 00:26 I'm not interested in editing other NewGRFs at the moment, as I just went back to university for a career change and have lost the free time that was the silver lining of being unemployed and living in lockdown this summer. I'm working on an October update to ITL and ITI which may render them complete, and after that I have tentative plans to draw and code a new American house set with ITL-like behavior and start dates from about 1700.
Alright, thanks anyway.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

2TallTyler wrote: ...
Can you try something out for me?
myxis.grf
(4.99 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
This is MyXIS, a prototype for adding WSTE and ELTR (from WIRES) to XIS. The project has stalled for the most part (changes to the code are not changing behavior of the compiled GRF when compiled on Windows) but before I abandon it entirely, I'd like to know why ITL is preventing the XIS Recycling Depot from showing up?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Two small updates:

• Add: German translation by WoelfiVW
  • Codechange: Remove unused strings from depreciated parameters
  • Add: Compatibility with Improved Town Industries 1.6.0
  • Add: Future compatibility with Yankee Industries (shhhh... :wink: )
  • Codechange: Refactor switches
  • Codechange: Remove unnecessary/broken parameters
  • Codechange: Remove unnecessary Protection callbacks
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

After a few testing, just gonna said that UK Houses Early Mod is incompatible with this I believe. Cause when I had these two together that will some cargo mismatch.
I am Limyx826.
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

Limyx826 wrote: 03 Dec 2020 14:25 After a few testing, just gonna said that UK Houses Early Mod is incompatible with this I believe. Cause when I had these two together that will some cargo mismatch.
My understanding is that it’s not compatible with other housing sets. The rules it applies, e.g what size of building can be built where, won’t work on other house sets. They presumably would have to have something in their coding to allow that to work.

Yea, in some ways I miss Swedish houses, Japanese buildings etc, but when I look at old saves without ITL, I don’t miss 70% ‘skyscraper’ cities.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Limyx826 wrote: 03 Dec 2020 14:25 After a few testing, just gonna said that UK Houses Early Mod is incompatible with this I believe. Cause when I had these two together that will some cargo mismatch.
Can you provide a savegame? I've tried it briefly myself and can't see any problems.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

2TallTyler wrote: 03 Dec 2020 18:32 Can you provide a savegame? I've tried it briefly myself and can't see any problems.
Here's a test save file. You will see that when two NewGRF are together, the houses cargo accept is different from regular ITL play. The houses wouldn't accept coal when they should, also they accept waste when the houses shouldn't.
Attachments
Gordon & Co., 20th Jan 1750.sav
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
I am Limyx826.

Return to “Graphics Releases”