Generic Skyscraper Objects Set v0.1

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Generic Skyscraper Objects Set v0.1

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote: 25 Jun 2021 08:05
gravelpit wrote: 25 Jun 2021 07:29 Quast65 WITH!!!!! pleasure if you create good and simple drawing tuortial :wink:
In short:
- Start up Paint
- Place pixels at right place
done..

Seriously:
Couple of things to consider at the start
- Make sure you know what the size of a single groundtile is in OpenTTD (I'll tell ya, 32 pixels by 32 pixels, but you can find loads of templates in the forum)
- Make sure you know how the shading works in OpenTTD (what side is bright, what side is dark)
- What colors are you going to use (32bpp or 8bpp)

And then just start with boxes, so you can show what size of skyscrapers would fit better into OpenTTD.
It doesnt have to be a masterpiece from the start ;-)
I second to this. I did not start with paint but with something on Android (because my hand was casted).

Start with basic volumes and work from there. Your first building may take multiple days to finish and it might not look perfect but you learn in the process. In the end I did multiple more advanced things like I used layers (in Gimp, not PS, because it is free and open source), created randomized masks to add texture, used gradient masks to make windows more interesting, used out of palette colors with dithering to add texture, created a roof top elements library and so on.

Start small and grow. It is really not hard.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

luxtram wrote: 31 Jul 2021 23:24
Quast65 wrote: 25 Jun 2021 08:05
gravelpit wrote: 25 Jun 2021 07:29 Quast65 WITH!!!!! pleasure if you create good and simple drawing tuortial :wink:
In short:
- Start up Paint
- Place pixels at right place
done..

Seriously:
Couple of things to consider at the start
- Make sure you know what the size of a single groundtile is in OpenTTD (I'll tell ya, 32 pixels by 32 pixels, but you can find loads of templates in the forum)
- Make sure you know how the shading works in OpenTTD (what side is bright, what side is dark)
- What colors are you going to use (32bpp or 8bpp)

And then just start with boxes, so you can show what size of skyscrapers would fit better into OpenTTD.
It doesnt have to be a masterpiece from the start ;-)
I second to this. I did not start with paint but with something on Android (because my hand was casted).

Start with basic volumes and work from there. Your first building may take multiple days to finish and it might not look perfect but you learn in the process. In the end I did multiple more advanced things like I used layers (in Gimp, not PS, because it is free and open source), created randomized masks to add texture, used gradient masks to make windows more interesting, used out of palette colors with dithering to add texture, created a roof top elements library and so on.

Start small and grow. It is really not hard.
... I started :) first a lot of youtube about pixel art later I started gimp but these layers beat me. I came back to paint but he is too primitive even for me.
After some time I found the free program "GraphicsGale" that suits me very well.
I really understand how to draw with a pencil on paper but pixel art is a completely different thing ...
Currently I have a big problem with the choice of colors and shadows but I'm going to fight this time, I have a lot of sprits from you, among others, and I'm trying to understand them
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Personally I've had some decent results (not for OpenTTD, but for other stuff) with Aseprite, which is a painting program specifically aimed at pixel art, with features like limited colour palettes, automatic dithering and similar. It's also fairly stripped down in its UI compared to Gimp (which is definitely more of an all-rounder in its applications).

It is technically open-source so you can get the source from GitHub and compile it yourself - if you don't want to do that, it costs ~15 bucks.

(It does use layers but they are kind of an important concept so you really should try and get the hang of them.)
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

Asepire that's how i saw this program is really great, but i have basic problems like sprite size or color selection
but soon something is starting to create ... big thanks to Fridaemon for making his spirits collection available
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

gravelpit wrote: 02 Aug 2021 08:37 Asepire that's how i saw this program is really great, but i have basic problems like sprite size or color selection
but soon something is starting to create ... big thanks to Fridaemon for making his spirits collection available
I must add that there are a few things that I do not have in my program but I do have in gimp.
The question I have, maybe a link to the Asepire test version, I would be very grateful
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

https://www.aseprite.org

Trial version is linked right on the starting page
ArrowProds
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ArrowProds »

I think there's a few cities in my games that could use this, be right back...
Mrsunman
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mrsunman »

If you ever decide to expand the pack, here's some cities which have some good looking buildings:
- Toronto
- New york
- Frankfurt
- Sydney
(of course, I know that it is probably a bit strange to come back to a section with no traffic for around a year.)

Return to “Graphics Releases”