BSPI.grf - Stockpiling Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Re: BSPI.grf - Stockpiling Industries

Post by Borg »

Okey, good that we sorted it out then... I will edit first post and put info that
smooth economy should be off for this GRF..

As for farms, yeah.. this will be like reserves too. The whole idea is to make game more
challenging and fun.. Normally you just lay network, start moving cargo and vioala.. it works.
To have more fun you just need to grow.. and grow....
I wanted to add more micromanagement stuff (hence smooth economy off).
So you react for big changes of productions (adding/removing trains).
You also plan the capacity of primaries to feed your secondaries.
This way maxing production is much more chalenging (and keep it for long).

Maybe I should also share my simple GS script I play with all the time.
I play with 'founding only industries' option, so map is generated without any of them.
Then, GS scripts handles spawning (seeding) industries in game.. and also regenerates them
for first 25 years of gameplay (obiusly, become players dont have enough money to prospect them).
Laters on, you have just plenty of money.. So you can add your own Power Stations
and prospect primaries when they go off.. This makes whole game more chaotic.

So, I kinda like the idea of reserves for farms too... and probably implement that.
I will wait for more comments tho, maybe someone will pop up with great idea too.

As for your sesonal stuff.. well, sounds bad idea to me. It will make farms production anemic.
OpenTTD default timer is way too fast for this..
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

Okey, I actually did it :)
Param1 bit3: Organic Industries have fertility.
It works very similary to reserves, except its get drained based on production, not on transported.
It have sense, because trees always grows, same as grain and cattle... whatever we transport it or not.

It will be BSPI v2.00
Its not yet released. I need to play a game myself to test :)
Vanderbildt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vanderbildt »

can someone please translate this to nml?
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

I released BSPI v2.00
Here are list of changes:
+ bit3 added (organic industries have fertility)
* improved Factory production
+ secondary industries will reduce production when power surge occured
* Bank InTown storage reduced to 5000 bags
+ improved Bank production (50% of excees bags are added back as production)
ZecK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ZecK »

Your industrial set is great. Are you also planning support for the Arctic climate?
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

Well.. Not really.. I love temperate climate, works best.
But, if someone will be brave enough to add support for Arctic and
will do good tests I can include it for v3.00 release.
Tarabaystitans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tarabaystitans »

Hey mate,

First of all i love this newgrf, i think its fantastic but i have a few qs;

1. If i wanted to say just have the effects of parameter bit1 do i just increase the number of parameters to 1 then select number 2? or do i have to play with all the parameters? (any easy customise tips?)
2. How do i increase the production rate of secondary industries? (steel mill) does it need more power or both components delivered or its steel transported away?
3. Whats the burn rate and net power at the power stations?
4. Any other tips or tricks that i should know about?

Again fantastic in between mod of FIRS and vanilla that adds some complexity to the game.

Cheers,
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

1) Nope, you just use Param1 all the time. Its all binary system.
bit0 = 1, bit1 = 2, bit2 = 4, bit3 = 8
So, if you want to use all features, just sum up all bit values, Param1 = 15.
If you just want to have Electricity, Param1 = 2
I personally play with all bits set, but if you dislike reserves/fertlity, you can
for example use Param1 = 6

2) Secondary industries will increase production if there is enough stockpilled cargo and
your transport rating is 75% or above. If you will keep it in 50-74% range, production will not go up.
If your rating will be <50% production will drop that month. So in case of still mill you need
to have both coal and ore stockpilled (250t ore and 125t coal per 4%).
So if you want to reach 16% production.. you need 1000t ore and 500t coal in stock and good rating.

3) Burn rate is just Power Station coal consumption (and also indicator of electricity production).
It will go up only based on coal stock in power station.. 250t per 5t burn rate.
Net Power is electricity network supply capacity. That number in bracket means number of Power Stations
working together (forming network). Smallest Power Station can just produce enough power to support
2 industries working at 100% production. Largest will support 4 industries. Net Power usually should be >=90%
all the time. If its below this value it means your electricity net is overloaded. Once Net Power will drop to 0%
some industries (or even all if there is no production) will get power surge (no production). In that case
you either need to transport more coal to powerstation or if its at 100% burn rate already, just build another one
in same town zone, they will form network and work together to support all industries in the town zone.

4) Basically, its all math (not complicated tho). It adds a lot more micro management. You just need to keep an eye
on power stations and factories. If there are problems, you need to react or whole net can even colapse :)
You dont need for example to achive 100% transport rate on mines because once you reach level of 50-74% production
will stabilize (it will not go up or down). Hardest part is to keep factory in full production (100%, around 6000 goods),
because it needs 3 cargos (1 from another secondary) so its most complicated chain. And then you play with all bits on
even farms will disappear (fertility goes to 0) so you need to prospect new ones. I also strongly suggest to play with
my gamescript BorgExt with adds city size limits, autoloan and control industry spawn (preseed and respawn for
specified period). Later player need to take care of prospecting or building new industries.
Tarabaystitans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tarabaystitans »

Can you play this with the FiRS mod or will it be too much?

Could you just use the electricity para and make it work?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Tarabaystitans wrote: 01 Sep 2020 04:13 Can you play this with the FiRS mod or will it be too much?

Could you just use the electricity para and make it work?
No. Both FIRS and BSPI uses too many of the cargo slots, there's no room to load both. Nor is that typically advised, it will cause errors with graphics, costs and compatibility with vehicles. For example, you might end up with a power plant that only accepts alcohol.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

Bananas & game "online content": version v1.01
https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/42580002

Your site & current version v2.0:
ftp://ds-1.ovh.uu3.net/home/borg/openttd/
version from 2020-07-05
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

Yeah I know.. Unfortunately, Bananas was migrated and it now requires to use GitHub account
with I dont have, so I cant upload new BSPI version.
Feel free to upload it yourself...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A github account is free. All I do with mine is use it to validate my openttd login so I can upload stuff and edit the wiki. :)
Boriss77
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boriss77 »

I can't get output of raw industies more than 12% with BSPI v2.00 even with outstanding ratings. No more than 135 coal for coal mine, f.e.
Screenshot - https://prntscr.com/15jhka8
Played the same test period (around 5 years, 1 short route coal mine - power plant, 90%+ raitings) with v1.1 and coal mine increased production to 25% - 270 coal.
Game version - 1.11.2 and another one - JGR patch 0.41.3. The same result in both cases.
Economy type was set to "original" in every test. Param1 = 6. And so every other settings seems to be the same in every test.
What can be an issue? Am I missing something?

UPD
Another tests.
If I set Param1 = 7 (v.1.1) and 7 or 15 (v.2.00) raitings work and production could be increased.
If I set again Param1 = 6 - raitings work only in v.1.1.
In v.2.00 with Param1 = 6 production doesn't increase above 12% (135 coal). I've played from 1950 to 1980, production 120-135 coal, no more, raiting 90%+.
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

I will inspect sources just to be sure, maybe indeed there is bug hidden somewhere.
I play always with Param1 = 15
because other settings are boring, so I could missed that bug...

Well spotted, there seems to be indeed bug :)
Ill post here experimental build for you.. so you can test it futher.. hold on.

Okey, here is temp version of BSPI v2.01, please test it:
http://ds-1.ovh.uu3.net/ftp/home/borg/tmp/BSPI.grf
Boriss77
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boriss77 »

Thanks for quik reply and fix! :)
I've made short tests. It seems everything works fine!
1 short route coal mine - power plant. Fast forward the game.
Param1 = 1, 2, 4, 8, and combos 6, 15.
In every 6 cases production increased and increased again even over 25%.
With params 4, 6 and 15 it was temporary increase and it slowly returned to 25%, as was expected.
yokuni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yokuni »

Hello Borg,

Recently just tried your BSPI.grf, as you have written the industries are connected through town/city designation.
Does that mean Power Stations can only strictly power up industries (factory/steel/etc.) that has the same town/city designation?
I tried, and it seems to work as such, so I am wondering if it is intended or I am doing something wrong.

This behavior is somewhat flawed as now you can have multiple industries with no access to Power?
And, you kind of have to play with very low City/Town count for this to workaround.
Often, we can have an industry just next to the Power Plant, but no way to supply power to it.
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

Well, I really wanted to have some electricity system in OpenTTD.
Unfortunately, town zones is the only way to implement it.
(If anyone have better idea, post! :)

So, yes, Power Plants can power up only industries that are within the same town zone.
Whole BSPI.grf is rather for players who prefer to play as industrial tycoon instead of PAX,
so yes, its good to play that mod with minimal cities so town zones are pretty large indeed.
You can also found Power Plants yourself, yes its expensive, but thats the point :)

If you dont like that feature, dont use it (Set right values in Param1).

Exacly same mechanics is used for Banks and production boosting.
Again, if you love dense cities, do not enable it via Param1.
hugo_prado
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hugo_prado »

It may be a dumb question, but I could not find why Primary industries have 2 production rate values. example: 60% (53%).
Also, thanks for this mod
Borg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Borg »

First value is based on current max production. If its <100% then it can go slowly up
if your rating is good (75%+). Second value is about absolute max production possible.
For example, coal mine can have max output of around 1280t, iron ore mine around 720t.
Absolute max production can only be increased by events like random production change.

So if you see something like: 100% (25%) that means current primary is at full production,
but still can get higher, if you are lucky, via random production change event.

Second value is always smaller or equal to first. If they are equal, primary is maxed out.

Return to “Graphics Releases”