French Trains Set - Narrow Gauge v1.1: Release Thread

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: French Trains Set - Narrow Gauge v1.1: Release Thread

Post by SimYouLater »

Snail wrote: 17 Jun 2019 12:56 Sure, I can add nAAN and nAAN as compatible railtypes for my tracks. This will be implemented in version 1.2 (currently in the works, as I've found quite a few bugs with 1.1).
Have you thought about any axle weight limit for your railtypes?

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency with the modern depot. It will be fixed in version 1.2 .
How do I define the axle weight limit?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Unfortunately, it's not one of the railtypes' (or even vehicles') properties. In the current implementation of OTTD, max axle weight is more of a design concept.
A railtype with a low axle weight limit would allow any train to run on it, but the heavy vehicles would travel on it at a significantly reduced max speed.

To rephrase my question, do you see this railtype as a "light", secondary branchline, or would it be used for main lines?
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

It would probably be a main line but about three times as expensive as standard rail, considering that the line near Volos in real life was a main line. I'm considering using nAEN and nAEE instead of nAAN and nAAE, but I don't know enough about the Volos line to say what it's axle weight is.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Got it. If it's a main line, I'll allow all my NG trains to run at full speed there. :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Got an issue. Apparently NML doesn't recognize the lowercase n in nAAN and nAAE, in spite of it being listed in the Standardized Railtype Scheme. The only fix is for me to use my originally planned "VOLO" and "VOLE" railtypes instead. Can you accommodate this, please?
Licenses for my work...
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

SimYouLater wrote: 22 Jun 2019 04:15 Got an issue. Apparently NML doesn't recognize the lowercase n in nAAN and nAAE,
Really? That's disappointing. Makes me glad I'm using m4nfo, which handles lowercase vs. uppercase railtype labels without any problems.
SimYouLater wrote: 22 Jun 2019 04:15The only fix is for me to use my originally planned "VOLO" and "VOLE" railtypes instead. Can you accommodate this, please?
Sure, I can remove nAAN and nAAE and replace them with VOLO and VOLE. (O as in "o", not zero, right?). What do those strings stand for, anyway?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Snail wrote: 22 Jun 2019 15:49
SimYouLater wrote: 22 Jun 2019 04:15 Got an issue. Apparently NML doesn't recognize the lowercase n in nAAN and nAAE,
Really? That's disappointing. Makes me glad I'm using m4nfo, which handles lowercase vs. uppercase railtype labels without any problems.
SimYouLater wrote: 22 Jun 2019 04:15The only fix is for me to use my originally planned "VOLO" and "VOLE" railtypes instead. Can you accommodate this, please?
Sure, I can remove nAAN and nAAE and replace them with VOLO and VOLE. (O as in "o", not zero, right?). What do those strings stand for, anyway?
Yes, it's an Oh and not a zero. The railtype gets it's name from the Volos station in Greece, which once had standard, meter and 600mm rails on the same line. It appears Volos was the only place where triple gauge of this type was made.

http://internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/greece02.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volos_railway_station
Licenses for my work...
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Snail wrote: 22 Jun 2019 15:49<snip>
I must recommend that you do not remove nAAN and nAAE, as it would make it incompatible with most other rail NewGRFs, and instead only add the labels as "backup".
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Erato wrote: 22 Jun 2019 18:45 I must recommend that you do not remove nAAN and nAAE, as it would make it incompatible with most other rail NewGRFs, and instead only add the labels as "backup".
Really? I wasn’t aware of any track set using those two labels (starting with the lowercase “n”). :?
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

When I start in 1900 there are some Engines with an Axle load of over 8t, but theres is no track that allows them to drive at full speed.
Why is this so?
These Engines are basically useless, becouse the tracks with out catenary for higher axle loads arrive way later, when there are better engines.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

There should be an unelectrified track with 11t max axle weight available in 1881, named "Metric gauge line".
Is it greyed out in the early years? If so, could you please provide a screenshot for that?
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Here:
The first is with other GRFs
The secound is with only with the French set from the zip in the first post
The Third are the versions as shown in the GRF settings
with other newGRFs
with other newGRFs
moregrfs.png (26.75 KiB) Viewed 13261 times
only French Train set and Tracks
only French Train set and Tracks
onlyfrench.png (59.75 KiB) Viewed 13261 times
The GRFs version
The GRFs version
version.png (2.78 KiB) Viewed 13261 times
EDIT: All screenshots taken in 1881.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Right. There is a bug with the railtypes when using OpenTTD 1.10 or above: the 11t unelectrified track is unavailable.
This is due to the introduction of new parameters for railtypes in that version of OTTD, which the current set doesn't handle well. On the other hand, that railtype correctly shows up in OTTD 1.9 .

Upcoming version 1.2 will solve this issue. Stay tuned! I'll release it once I'm done with a few brand new depots. ;)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Do you mind if I use your rails in the Recycled Infrastructure Set? I understand if you say no. If yes, can I have the source?
Licenses for my work...
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

SimYouLater wrote: 14 Oct 2019 01:45 Do you mind if I use your rails in the Recycled Infrastructure Set? I understand if you say no. If yes, can I have the source?
Sure, all I ask is that you credit them ;) what sprites will you need?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Snail wrote: 15 Oct 2019 13:20
SimYouLater wrote: 14 Oct 2019 01:45 Do you mind if I use your rails in the Recycled Infrastructure Set? I understand if you say no. If yes, can I have the source?
Sure, all I ask is that you credit them ;) what sprites will you need?
I'll make sure to credit you! I'm going to add your 1000mm Narrow Gauge rails.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I decided against adding your rails for the time being. However, can you do me a favor and make your various narrow guage railtypes compatible with VOLO (unelectrified) and VOLE (electrified)? As it is, your trains won't travel on the triple-gauge (standard, meter and 600mm) track in the Recycled Infrastructure Set.
Licenses for my work...
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Yes, it's already in the works. Unfortunately, progress has been slowed down lately. Hope I can release the "final" version of my sets soon!
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Version 1.2 , which will hopefully be the final one, has just been released. You'll find the link on the first post.

This version fixes "all" the known bugs for the trains, adds a few extra tracktypes, introduces a specific depot for each tracktype (modeled after real-world ones, ça va sans dire) and adds support for snow on tracks and depots:
ng depots.png
ng depots.png (16.13 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
Additionally, as per SimYouLater's request, these tracks are compatible with VOLO and VOLE track types.
Please let me know if you find any bugs or issues with it.

From now on, I'll be working on the Standard Gauge set, and I'm planning to do no more extra work on this set, save for bug fixes and possibly support for future cargo types (Andy, I'm looking at you :p ).

Enjoy!

Return to “Graphics Releases”