NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.6M) (2022)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.6M) (2022)

Post by NekoMaster »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM THREAD FOR THE...

Here I will be providing information and releases for the North American Industry Set, created by myself (NekoMaster) thanks to code and help from AndyTheNorth, creator of FIRS Industry Set.

This industry set was designed to better represent (within the limitations of OpenTTD) North American industry, including cargos and industries common in North America.

Gameplay shouldn't be too much different from FIRS 3, so players familier with FIRS industries should be able to jump right in.

Anyways enjoy playing your games with the North American Industry Set :)

~ INDUSTRY LIST ~

Hopefully you can figure out what each industry is by its name. If not, check the Index HTML (included in North_American_Industry_Set_Index_HTML.zip)

~ INSTALLATION ~

Either search for "North American Industry Set" via the ingame Content Downloader/Online Content, or download the file from here, and place the "north_american_industry_set_v#.#.#.tar" in your newgrf folder. This is the folder where your save files and OpenTTD.cfg will be. BY default the game loads grfs from your documents folder. The tar file does not need to be extracted (OpenTTD for a long time has been able to load GRF's from .tar archive files)

Windows : Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf
MAC OS : home\documents\OpenTTD\newgrf
Linux : home\documents\OpenTTD\newgrf

(Unsure about the MAC OS and Linux locations, feel free to correct me on those)

~ MISC ~
The Index HTML file includes a bit of information and graphics for the Industries and Cargos included in this industry set, as well as some code referances for the industry ID's, cargo lables, etc.
Just load it up in a browser (hopefully your OS should know what program to use to load HTML files, as windows seems to be getting weird not knowing how to open HTML files at times)

This file is not needed for operation of the industry set, its merely just there for some information. I'd host the file if I could so people could view it online, but alas I dont have the money or knowledge to run a publicly accessible web server to host web pages from.
Attachments
CARGO_FLOW_STUFF.zip
Has the documentation on the Cargo Flows like FIRS 3 did, as well as the industries and cargos in this set.
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
north_american_industry_set_1.0.6M_(year_2022).tar
LATEST AND GREATEST VERSION AS OF AUGUST 2022! FINALLY FIXED THE POWER PLANT NOT PRODUCING MINERALS!
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 193 times
Last edited by NekoMaster on 19 Aug 2022 21:43, edited 7 times in total.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.0)

Post by bjgttd »

What industries are there and how are they different from the "vanilla"?
There is no docs, the changelog seems to be for the FIRS.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

bjgttd wrote:What industries are there and how are they different from the "vanilla"?
There is no docs, the changelog seems to be for the FIRS.
Yeah sorry about that, I was in such a hurry to put this out that I forgot to edit the change log template file as well as provide some documentation.

I'm a bit drunk right now but I can at least tell you there are 73 industries, including some interesting stuff like Uranium mines and nuclear power plants, Printing works (which isn't in FIRS), various town industries (like hotels, stores, banks, and motels), and theres even a "Generic" mineral chain to cover things like Sulfur, Zinc, Titanium, etc, that can be sent to a Mint (that turns Metal, Minerals, and Paper into Valuables) or can be turned into Chemicals or Metal (A Mineral Refinery makes Metal, while a Mineral Smelter makes Chemicals and Fertilizer)

If anything, I took some of the ideas from FIRS and ECS while making this and thus there might be some obvious similarities with ECS (Like Machinery and Fertilizer as supplies in the North AMerican Industry Set).

When I have some time, I'll get around to fixing up a few things, including flashing colors in inappropriate places like on the Cargo Payment graph and World Map "Industry" map.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My critiques:

1. Fishing Grounds and Oil Rig construction stage is bare dirt on top of the water. Might wanna revamp that a little.
2. The borrowed Motel from AuzInd looks a little out of place. The building is slightly out of scale (compare to the Hotel), and the pavement should be replaced to match the other pavements.
3. In the NewGRF window, I kinda don't like the listing color being different from all the others. It's distracting, IMO.

Overall, I like it. If you're not thinking about creating more specialized North American economies, then I'd actually like to see this merged back into FIRS as another economy option. Just as a lark, I loaded both NAIS and FIRS 3.0.10. Good results, if you load FIRS first then NAIS. Only real bugged out things are the Recycling Depot from FIRS doesn't require or produce any cargo and the Recycling Plant requires nothing and produces Scrap Metal; the FIRS Brewery doesn't produce any cargo, but the NAIS Brewery does.

Maybe there could be an option for a slimmed-down economy where you can just run the industries that aren't in FIRS Extreme so that you can run both at once without overlap?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:Nice achievement. :)

Can you also get the docs working? :twisted: If you're using the makefile, they should just build locally.
I can get the template stuff working, I just forgot to do it
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

kamnet wrote:My critiques:

1. Fishing Grounds and Oil Rig construction stage is bare dirt on top of the water. Might wanna revamp that a little.
2. The borrowed Motel from AuzInd looks a little out of place. The building is slightly out of scale (compare to the Hotel), and the pavement should be replaced to match the other pavements.
3. In the NewGRF window, I kinda don't like the listing color being different from all the others. It's distracting, IMO.

Overall, I like it. If you're not thinking about creating more specialized North American economies, then I'd actually like to see this merged back into FIRS as another economy option. Just as a lark, I loaded both NAIS and FIRS 3.0.10. Good results, if you load FIRS first then NAIS. Only real bugged out things are the Recycling Depot from FIRS doesn't require or produce any cargo and the Recycling Plant requires nothing and produces Scrap Metal; the FIRS Brewery doesn't produce any cargo, but the NAIS Brewery does.

Maybe there could be an option for a slimmed-down economy where you can just run the industries that aren't in FIRS Extreme so that you can run both at once without overlap?
1. That comes from FIRS, not much I can do about that.
2. Everything looks out of scale in OpenTTD to some extent, though I can at least look into replacing the pavement with something more like FIRS
3. I forgot to change the colours before I uploaded the GRF, though I prefer having some color to the name to make it easier to find in a list of GRF's
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My main issue with the color of the NewGRF title is the fact that you're trying to make it easier to find, and that if you make it a thing, others will make it a thing as well, and before you know it we have a mess of contrasting colors in the NewGRF list and it ends up being more difficult to find anything.

As for the scale, I meant specifically with regards to the other buildings in FIRS, not OpenTTD in general.
Simozzz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Simozzz »

It's nice to have more industry sets to play with.

But firstly you'd better to test it before release. Or some obvious bugs will be there, like "Spassengers" below. :lol:

And I'd like to know all cargo labels used here, since fuel uses something diffferent from petroleum (PETR) in other sets, uranium weren't used before and most other cargoes uses new names keeping cargo labels from FIRS. That's all needed to make xUSSRset compitable (well, why not? :lol: ). First wagon for uranium is ready to be added.
Attachments
nais bug.png
nais bug.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 34114 times
Uranium wagon used in USSR.
Uranium wagon used in USSR.
TK-8.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 34114 times
Sorry for my bad English.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Simozzz wrote:But firstly you'd better to test it before release. Or some obvious bugs will be there, like "Spassengers" below. :lol:
Nothing wrong with releasing early and letting people help find the bugs ;)

I'd maybe have called it 0.1.0 not 1.0.0, but eh :twisted:
And I'd like to know all cargo labels used here, since fuel uses something diffferent from petroleum (PETR) in other sets
If Neko can get the docs working (they might be already even), they will list all the cargo labels. :)

If Devzone hosting is used, bundles server will build and publish the docs. Also eints can then be used for translation.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote: Nothing wrong with releasing early and letting people help find the bugs ;)

I'd maybe have called it 0.1.0 not 1.0.0, but eh :twisted:

If Neko can get the docs working (they might be already even), they will list all the cargo labels. :)

If Devzone hosting is used, bundles server will build and publish the docs. Also eints can then be used for translation.
If your talking about the docs like the readme and changelog stuff, I already got those dealt with. If your talking about the html stuff that the compiler makes to show the intdustry and cargos, it shows the words but for industries I added myself the industry sprites dont show up on that HTML thingy.

Also I'm unable to get the cargo flow thingy to work even though I'm pretty sure I have the library/dependancy for generating that.

Lastly, I thought that with the bit of testing I did as I polished things before release would be enough but I didn't realize things where a little off. Previously things worked just fine when I called Passengers "MONSTERS" as a joke, but I might just have to go back and redo the cargo file or strings to make sure it says passengers.
Simozzz wrote:It's nice to have more industry sets to play with.

But firstly you'd better to test it before release. Or some obvious bugs will be there, like "Spassengers" below. :lol:

And I'd like to know all cargo labels used here, since fuel uses something diffferent from petroleum (PETR) in other sets, uranium weren't used before and most other cargoes uses new names keeping cargo labels from FIRS. That's all needed to make xUSSRset compitable (well, why not? :lol: ). First wagon for uranium is ready to be added.
Pretty much all the cargo lables are the same from FIRS, though of corse with different names. Fertilizer uses FMSP, Machinery uses ENSP, Glass is GLAS.
I think I used FUEL for Fuel but I can always put it back to PETR for compatibility.
Uranium uses URAN while Minerals uses PORE (Pyrites). Technically uranium should be hauled in liquid form as Uranium Hexaflouride but that might confuse players. Then again apparently it can also be a gas or a solid depending on the needs (as it can form a white powder/solid for storage if needed)

I didn't really intend for my set to be compatible with anything other then NARS 2.5 and my Add-on set, though I guess I could make some fixes to make things more compatible across the board. Maybe the soviets finally take over USA and Canada and bring their trains over to service north american industries lol
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:If your talking about the html stuff that the compiler makes to show the intdustry and cargos, it shows the words but for industries I added myself the industry sprites dont show up on that HTML thingy.
No surprise, they have to be added manually from screenshots, it's a job I do in Photoshop :)

Zip up the /docs folder and post it here, I'll have a look.

Pretty pleased with how far you got without much help from me so far ;)
Also I'm unable to get the cargo flow thingy to work even though I'm pretty sure I have the library/dependancy for generating that.
That's graphviz / dot, and it can be fiddly. Leave it for now. It does help when designing the cargo flow though.

Wondering if someone like @planetmaker might help you get the project on devzone?

Devzone is good because it keeps your code safe, helps GPL compliance, and it publishes all the docs online :) Like http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... arted.html
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:If your talking about the html stuff that the compiler makes to show the intdustry and cargos, it shows the words but for industries I added myself the industry sprites dont show up on that HTML thingy.
No surprise, they have to be added manually from screenshots, it's a job I do in Photoshop :)

Zip up the /docs folder and post it here, I'll have a look.

Pretty pleased with how far you got without much help from me so far ;)[/qoute]

I'll post a version with the docs when I fix up some issues. I just hope nobody is playing a serious game with my industry set just yet incase anything major changes like cargo lables.

Also, it helps that once I figured out how you have FIRS 3.0.X setup, I was able to figure out how to do what I needed to. Sometimes I get lucky and figure out the rest of things on my own (so long as things make sense to me)

Its taken me this long to finally make my very own industry set mostly because coding isn't something that comes easy to me. For example, I still can't quite figure out how to make my own road vehicle set because I'm kind of dumb when it comes to coding :P
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

OK so for some reason no matter what I do when editing the passenger cargo code or the language file strings, vehicles still say they hold "## spassengers"

NOthing I've tried changes that so far even when I restore the original passenger cargo code from FIRS.

EDIT : Even searching in the compiled nml in the "generated" folder, there is no mention of "spassenger" or "spassengers". Something really weird is going on

EDIT EDIT :

I'm an idoit and forgot to load up the new version of the GRF while changing stuff so thats why things kept saying spassengers.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.1)

Post by Argus »

Not visible in Newgrf list :( Only first version.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

NekoMaster wrote:forgot to load up the new version of the GRF while changing stuff
Cant tell you how many times something like that happened to me... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Quast65 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:forgot to load up the new version of the GRF while changing stuff
Cant tell you how many times something like that happened to me... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Configure 'make install' to build and install the grf, then use 'reload_newgrfs' in console :P

And it still happens to me occasionally :twisted:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:
Quast65 wrote:
Configure 'make install' to build and install the grf, then use 'reload_newgrfs' in console :P

And it still happens to me occasionally :twisted:
I have my own BAT file that deletes some things before compiling to prevent certain issues while compiling, and it copies the GRF to my newgrf folder, after which I just hit "Accept Changes" in the NewGRF window as I keep that open almost all the time, though I suppose I could use the console as I just just hit the up arrow key to bring that command back and hit enter without needing to have a window open all the time taking up screen space.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Argus wrote:Not visible in Newgrf list :( Only first version.
I changed the name a little, its now called "NAIS - North American Industry Set v1.0.1"

I think in the next update I'll go back to using coloured text as it makes all GRF's with coloured text appear near the bottom of the available GRF's when searching.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Return to “Graphics Releases”