NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.6M) (2022)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.1)

Post by NekoMaster »

Argus wrote:Thanks :) Too many newgrf's in my computer :D
I know how that goes, sometimes I go an trim my GRF's by going into my newgrf/data folder in my "Documents/OpenTTD/" folder, as well as stuff in the "Documents/OpenTTD/content_download" folders to reduce the number of GRF's and improve the load times when it searches for GRF's
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Let me say first that I really like this industry set. I've been playing with NARS 2.05 (Hey, I actually like the regearing option!) along with NARS 2.5 addon set, as well as the passenger addon set (Overkill of equipment but why not? My model train collection is much the same!) and everything works nicely. One minor detail is that looking at mail cars, it shows as "xx parcelss", with two "S"s. So far it's the only real bug I have seen, so that's really saying something!
Without Trains America Stops

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Let me say first that I really like this industry set. I've been playing with NARS 2.05 (Hey, I actually like the regearing option!) along with NARS 2.5 addon set, as well as the passenger addon set (Overkill of equipment but why not? My model train collection is much the same!) and everything works nicely. One minor detail is that looking at mail cars, it shows as "xx parcelss", with two "S"s. So far it's the only real bug I have seen, so that's really saying something!
Yeah, minor coding mistake there, but it should be fine to play as its only a issue with the language file for the set.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

:D Love the idea, looking forward to playing properly with it. Maybe later tonight. Just messing about for now. Quick observations:
  • Banks seem a bit odd. They produce passengers, and require passengers and goods? I think I get the logic (passengers as customers coming and going, goods as.. office supplies?) but then I wonder why it doesn't apply to other town businesses. And it's a little weird having such huge passenger production in otherwise tiny towns (it's out of scale with Hotels too, but at least makes more sense)
  • Shouldn't there be somewhere to take Fish before 1850?
  • bagss and cratess
  • "Visit Website" points (sarcastically? :wink: ) to https://www.google.ca/ instead of this thread
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Tsylatac wrote::D Love the idea, looking forward to playing properly with it. Maybe later tonight. Just messing about for now. Quick observations:
  • Banks seem a bit odd. They produce passengers, and require passengers and goods? I think I get the logic (passengers as customers coming and going, goods as.. office supplies?) but then I wonder why it doesn't apply to other town businesses. And it's a little weird having such huge passenger production in otherwise tiny towns (it's out of scale with Hotels too, but at least makes more sense)
  • bagss and cratess
  • "Visit Website" points (sarcastically? :wink: ) to https://www.google.ca/ instead of this thread
Yeah I got a couple of minor things to fix but I've been busy with sleep, school, and working on another Scenario
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

No offense meant, of course meatspace obligations come first. I want this set to succeed, just trying to point out some things I didn't see mentioned here yet
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Tsylatac wrote:No offense meant, of course meatspace obligations come first. I want this set to succeed, just trying to point out some things I didn't see mentioned here yet
No offense was taken :D I'm typically pretty chill these days.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Tsylatac wrote::D Love the idea, looking forward to playing properly with it. Maybe later tonight. Just messing about for now. Quick observations:
  • bagss and cratess
So I made some minor fixes, though I dunno what I'll do about the Fish problem since Canning as we know it didn't start until about the 1850's.

Also I kept the Banks and Hotels as is from the FIRS 3.0.10 code, though I suppose I could change it eventually but theres the issue that hotels and motels sometimes end up in the middle of no where on their own, so the passenger production helps to entice players to service them. ALso, motels do get quite a lot of people coming in and out on busier roads and towns in North America.

The new version has been uploaded to the First post on this thread, as well as to Banana's for download ingame (Content downloader)
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

NekoMaster wrote:I dunno what I'll do about the Fish problem since Canning as we know it didn't start until about the 1850's.
Maybe a 'Fish Market' town building which disappears after 1850? Though I'm not sure if it is possible to restrict its appearance to coastal towns. Just an idea :D .
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

vrn wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I dunno what I'll do about the Fish problem since Canning as we know it didn't start until about the 1850's.
Maybe a 'Fish Market' town building which disappears after 1850? Though I'm not sure if it is possible to restrict its appearance to coastal towns. Just an idea :D .
Thats a possibility, or maybe just have a Market or Bazaar industry that has no date, since that can be placed at anytime (i mean fish/goods/food markets and what not still exist today selling all kinds of stuff)

That also makes me think, when they finally increase the amount of cargos, I could add a Flee Market that could take Passengers, Waste/Recycables, and Food? Who doesnt enjoy perusing the stalls and boot sales of random people while eating trail mix, BBQ hotdogs/sausages, and chatting with others about stuff you find.
I know the COurtice fleemarket is a nice place to have random stuff sent to as a little north american industry. Though I dunno if I want to get THAT detailed like Auz Industries.

ALso I'm working on a NA Industries version of my USA-Canada 4K scenario now, I hope there isn't any game breaking issues with my NAIS GRF that will make all my efforts a waste of time (especially since College takes up 3 days of my time plus any online stuff I have to do at home)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NORTH AMERICAN INDUSTRY SET (v1.0.6)

Post by Argus »

How about alcohol? It's a little weird that the brewery is making only food .... Or beverages as such .... Milk, lemonade, juice, cola .... And in California there are vineyards.... Certainly, Auzind is somewhat too detailed, but it does not have to be quite like FIRS ;)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:That also makes me think, when they finally increase the amount of cargos
It's kinda done BTW :)

The blocker is that you have to build your own OpenTTD, or wait for official binaries to be available again.

16 cargos in, 16 cargos out needs a bit more work on the nml support, but is also nearly done.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Argus wrote:How about alcohol? It's a little weird that the brewery is making only food .... Or beverages as such .... Milk, lemonade, juice, cola .... And in California there are vineyards.... Certainly, Auzind is somewhat too detailed, but it does not have to be quite like FIRS ;)
I dont like having a dedicated "Alcohol" cargo, because then that takes up a cargo slot and is only sent to a couple industries. While Alcohol isn't really "Food" it is typically sold in places that sells food (Even here in Canada Alcohol is sometimes sold in stores and grocery stores depending on the province)

Also I already have the max number of cargos in NAIS
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Sure, they have to think about the constraints :) Even drinks are generally sold in the same food, so it can be considered as one kind of goods. Moreover, I got used to ECS already. It was just a modest proposal :)
And those vineyards? They can also produce fruit and food.
By the way, I apologize if I find something strange, I using Google translator :D
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I consider grouping alcohol as food to be a sort of hand wave to the temperance movement groups. Especially in a set based on North American industries. During prohibition I imagine it like this "So you picked up three cars of food at a brewery?" Uh, yeah, that's it. Uh, 'food'." Though even in real life, most breweries branched into food products during prohibition. I have an O scale model freight car made in the late 1930s, that is lettered for "Pabst-ette cheese spread". Pabst, a beer company, developed a cheese spread during prohibition, and sold the formula to Kraft when prohibition ended and they could go back to making beer. So I think having breweries output food works OK.
Without Trains America Stops

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Railwaymodeler wrote: ...
Beer flavored Cheddar! The "Extra Old" would be interesting. :lol:
steamymart
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steamymart »

This is a great kind of expansion to FIRS and I've been enjoying using it in my game

Only bug/oversight I've noticed is that Power Plants say they produce Minerals, if supplied with coal or oil, but this doesn't seem to be working
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

steamymart wrote: 29 Jun 2019 23:05 This is a great kind of expansion to FIRS and I've been enjoying using it in my game

Only bug/oversight I've noticed is that Power Plants say they produce Minerals, if supplied with coal or oil, but this doesn't seem to be working
Yeah I've forgotten to fix that, and I keep forgetting to setup a compiling environment again to compile a fixed version. Doesnt help that I've been kinda busy lately and when ever I have plans to relax and have some fun something comes up and kills all motivation to do anything major like start a new game or a new project.
steamymart
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steamymart »

No problem dude, it's only one small detail in the industry set, so will carry on with my saved game anyway :D
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cmhbob »

This kind of cool development is why I never get games past about 1960 or so. I see new stuff like this and I want to play it, so the old savegames fall by the wayside.

Looking forward to playing this.
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere

Return to “Graphics Releases”