Windy Font Replacement

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

vtk
Engineer
Engineer

Windy Font Replacement

Post by vtk »

Windy Font details.png
Windy Font details.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Add a little bit of style to your game with this font replacement NewGRF! (Available in BaNaNaS)

Initial release, version 2025a: covers only the baseset sprites covering printable 7-bit ASCII characters. Additional baseset coverage (which seems to be most of the upper half of Windows-1252) will come in a future release. Additional Unicode characters may be produced on an as-requested basis.
mcbanhas
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Windy Font Replacement

Post by mcbanhas »

It looks ok, but I'm not entirely sure about the shape of the W and V. I also feel the overall stylization is a bit too soft and somewhat close to handwriting, which makes it unfitting to a transport/industry setting. A good example of this is how the g and y seem unaligned with the rest of the remaining lowercase letters, making it look as if it was penned. Right now I feel that it also needs to be less narrow. All in all, remember that a font is supposed to follow gameplay from the early 20th century towards 2050, so try making it somewhat more modern and bold, perhaps a bit more futuristic and less like Chicago.

And if you would ever like to submit this as a general font for the project, try converting it into .ttf format!

All in all, keep up the good work, and looking forward for future versions. :)

*EDIT* One of the big contrasting elements that I see, is that right now there seems to be an inconsistency between the sharp edges of some letters (such as A,V, and v) and the softer curves of others (e, u, g, y). My suggestion would be to focus a bit more on the sharper edges, since they are the more defining element of the font, and they also make it look more modern.

Return to “Graphics Releases”