Esperanto Town Names (v1.2)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Christopher
Engineer
Engineer

Esperanto Town Names (v1.2)

Post by Christopher »

Christopher and LaPingvino proudly present...

Esperanto Town Names!

This newGRF includes 784 real world town names converted into Esperanto! As of version 1.1, random original Esperanto town names are functional, and there are approximately 10719 possible names!

This newGRF is ideal for those Esperanto enthusiasts and maybe even the Esperanto curious. I know for me, I'm glad to have a set of town names that match the language in which I play OpenTTD!

Also available for download is a function nml and lng files for those who would like to learn how to make a simple town names set, and also to learn how to make a random town name generator.
Attachments
esperanto_town_names.zip
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
esperanto_town_names_source.zip
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Get Esperanto Town Names here! Also available on BaNaNaS!
Vi povas kuraci vian unulingvecon hodiaŭ per Esperanto!
basxto
Engineer
Engineer
Location: Land Hessen / State of Hesse / Estado de Hesse / Federacia Lando Hesio 🇩🇪🇮🇩

Re: Esperanto Town Names (v1.2)

Post by basxto »

Vurzburgo should be Vurcburgo/Vircburgo. Kezonurbo => Kesonurbo. Vilaĥo => Filaĥo.
Vikipedio also uses Vinico instead of Vinicjo.
Plaĝo-Girono is just listed as Ĝirono.
Palmo de Majorko is listed as Palma/Majorkurbo, just palmo could be confused with the word.
Daresalamo, Nov-Jorko have different writing variants listed there.

"Sankta-Stefano" is somewhat a duplicate of the generated "Sankt-Stefano". There is also once Sankt-Petersburgo and once Sankta-Petersburgo, both in the name list.

Why do some names occur multiple times? To adjust their likelyhood of generation? (Berlin 3x, ...)

Why is there "Centro" in compound_root, is that a mistake?

Maybe there should be a (rarer) "Nov-" next to "Nova" like in Nov-Jorko, Nov-Delhio

Maybe city names which are just calques should be also generated? (Bonaero, Novkastelo, Kaburbo)

"Vojkruĉig" is a typo, it should be "Vojkruciĝo"
basxto
Engineer
Engineer
Location: Land Hessen / State of Hesse / Estado de Hesse / Federacia Lando Hesio 🇩🇪🇮🇩

Post by basxto »

Okay, I found the repo and forked it. https://github.com/basxto/Esperanto-Town-Names
So far, I fixed the spellings, I found.

Next thing is playing a bit around with it :D
All generated names feel somewhat New-World-ish, since names usually have some old words, words from different languages or from dialects in it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_nam ... _processes

Maybe Arcaicam Esperantom could be of help or Esperantoids like Ido
LaPingvino
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LaPingvino »

Feel free to create a derived/updated version, good work! I am not sure atm who would have access to update the current version.
Mi tradukis OpenTTD al Esperanto :)! Ĉu vi bezonas helpon? Mesaĝu min!

Playing my own translation :).
basxto
Engineer
Engineer

Post by basxto »

According to BaNaNaS it should be you?
You could try if the user migration works for you.

I'll try to first create a v1.2.1 which just contains fixes, allows to select only real or generated names, add readme and changelog. Then send you a PR on github. Publishing a new release should be just make dist and uploading build/esperanto_town_names-*.tar. This would reduce the amount of generated town names, since some had duplicates with typos.

Extending the generation for a potential v1.3.0 could come to nothing. And I don't speak Esperanto, so somebody would need to check if the results really make sense.

I added some tags for the previous versions, but I'm not sure if they are all correct and whether they were even released in some way.
It would also be better to add some descriptions for them and I want to retroactively write a changelog. I think it's possible to turn tags into releases and add a description on github, but that does not distribute to gitlab etc.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

LaPingvino wrote: 16 Dec 2021 08:45 Feel free to create a derived/updated version, good work! I am not sure atm who would have access to update the current version.
it would take just a couple of minutes to migrate over to the new account management for Bananas:
https://bananas.openttd.org/manager/user-migration

At the same time, you can ask them to add Basxto to the list of authors so that they can continue updates.
LaPingvino
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LaPingvino »

The point is mostly that I'm not sure if I uploaded it or Christopher... It's a pretty long time ago!

Edit: I just saw Basxto's comment. Have sent a PM as pointed out.
Mi tradukis OpenTTD al Esperanto :)! Ĉu vi bezonas helpon? Mesaĝu min!

Playing my own translation :).

Return to “Graphics Releases”