Early Mod pack: TTRS, Swedish Houses and TaI modified for very early starts

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Early Mod pack: TTRS, Swedish Houses and TaI modified for very early starts

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Salutations for you all. This is my first contribution for the OpenTTD community. For a while I wished to play OpenTTD in a very specific way, which includes starting veeeery early, as early as 1690. Modifying existing NewGRFs appeared to be the best first step on learning how to make NewGRF.

I present here the Early Mod pack: Total Town Replacement Set, Swedish Houses and Town and Industry - UK Houses town houses modifications. I have changed the introduction date of several buildings, making each set suitable to start in year 1700, 1650 and 1000, respectively. These three combined produce very nice looking cities, towns and villages.

Also, I have changed the population of several buildings to make more sense, allowing for smaller towns in the beginning of the game and delaying the giant metropolis in the XIX century.

EDIT - NEWEST VERSION UPDATED ON 25 JULY 2017
Here are the files:
ttrsEarlyMod.tar
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 639 times
swedish-houses-EarlyMod.tar
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 444 times
TaI_UK_Houses_EarlyMod.tar
(284 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

Question: should I put these on BaNaNaS?

Thanks for this awesome game and all the content the content created by this community.
Last edited by GuilhermeJK on 25 Jul 2017 23:57, edited 2 times in total.
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Early Mod pack: TTRS, Swedish Houses and TaI modified for very early starts

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Here a picture of all the sets combined in 1700:
Early Mod 1st Jan 1700.png
(160.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Looks quite nice; we are indeed lacking on early-start town sets!
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

These look great! Yes, please upload them to Bananas, assuming all licenses are in order.
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Files were Bananas-ed.
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

New upload fix version on Bananas for TTRS Early Mod: some old houses were still appearing in the 2000s
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Hello!
I got a problem with all three sets in 1893. There are to many similar houses in a Town. (They are from swedish house set)
Attachments
earlymodproblem.PNG
(899.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Hmm, interesting behavior. I'll take a look on what might be happening at the end of the day (it is morning here now).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GuilhermeJK wrote:Hmm, interesting behavior. I'll take a look on what might be happening at the end of the day (it is morning here now).
I imagine its a result of not having enough buildings enabled for that time, so it just uses what available.

Perhaps the early days should allow for both a mix of older looking TTRS stuff and Vanilla buildings to have a nice mix of old looking buildings.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

I've found that these houses repeat themselves only at the outer town zones, after the town grows enough to get a fourth zone. If I disable swedish houses, then a lot of the TTRS banks take the red houses place. I'll take a look on town zone definition for these buildings.

EDIT

Zone 1 seems to be the real bugger. Only a few houses of each set are allocated to that zone. On the example of swedish houses, only the red house with dark roof is available before 1920, because all the others have garages (people didn't have garages to keep their horses in the 1800s AFAIK). Tried NekoMaster's idea by enabling the sets to keep the original houses and very little difference was perceived.

What I saw on the NFO code was that property 13 on action 00 (which defines the houses) has the job of assigning town zone. For example, the red spamming house has the following line for availability mask:

Code: Select all

13 03 F8
That 03 seems to be the inner suburb zone, but what about that F8?

Here is the swedish houses EarlyMod code I am using:
swehousesEarlyMod-source.7z
(914.37 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Any experienced NFO coders have any advice?

P.S. I am working on another NewGFR and I'm so glad NML exists :bow: (NFO can twist an untrained mind like mine)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
GuilhermeJK wrote:On the example of swedish houses, only the red house with dark roof is available before 1920, because all the others have garages (people didn't have garages to keep their horses in the 1800s AFAIK).
Yes, they had stables insted garages. Does this make a big difference? IMHO you can avoid this only with new, garageless buildings for this period and town zones.

Tschö, Auge
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well if anything, the fact that anything works is nice because when playing with industry sets before 1930 it wasn't really possible to deliver town cargos to buildings because the OpenTTD buildings don't support that.

Maybe someone should make a mod that gives new cargo support to all of the default buildings so industry mods dont need to compensate for a lack of buildings that accept cargos with the default buildings.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Newest version for all three, files on BaNaNas and at the original post.

Bugs squashed: Repeating the same red house over and over in town zone 1; TTRS Hospital with bugged sprite (this bug I caused when changing population capacity :D )
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Would it be possible to modify UK TaI to not replace the original houses, or for you to update the Urban Renewal Set?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

TaI is the only one without a "Keep original houses" parameter among the three, so in theory it would be possible. Although, creating it in NFO tastes bitter to me :D. I would rather, if authorised, recreate all sets in one giant NML, or three NMLs. I won't be making heavy modifications on these three because I have NotRoadType Set I am (sloooowly) working on, so maybe on the future.

About the Urban Renewal Set, I'm note familiar with that one. What change would you like to see on it?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

GuilhermeJK wrote:TaI is the only one without a "Keep original houses" parameter among the three, so in theory it would be possible. Although, creating it in NFO tastes bitter to me :D. I would rather, if authorised, recreate all sets in one giant NML, or three NMLs. I won't be making heavy modifications on these three because I have NotRoadType Set I am (sloooowly) working on, so maybe on the future.

About the Urban Renewal Set, I'm note familiar with that one. What change would you like to see on it?
The Urban Renewal Set only replaces original buildings. Hence why I asked about either changing TaI or updating Urban Renewal. Just a simple request to turn urban renewal into a normal town set, if you have the time.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I noticed a bug with TTRS. If you build a brick viaduct SW-NE then the NE end will have a tiny but annoying graphical glitch for no good reason. Kind of nitpicky, but I can't find any good roadset/bridgeset combos for ttd_original and I've noticed someone point out that all bridgesets have glitches with OpenGFX. TTRS looks like one of the best options.

Attachments
ttrs bridge glitch.png
ttrs bridge glitch.png (35.69 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Licenses for my work...
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Even though I just modified some NFO parameters of TTRS, I'll take look and check if I can spot the bugger in the graphic files. Thursday will be holiday here and I will take the opportunity to take a look :)

Cheers.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

GuilhermeJK wrote:Even though I just modified some NFO parameters of TTRS, I'll take look and check if I can spot the bugger in the graphic files. Thursday will be holiday here and I will take the opportunity to take a look :)

Cheers.
Thanks. I've tried using every bridge and road combo and literally none of them are done right. If OpenGFX played well with bridges, or NotRoadTypes wasn't in need of a drastic overhaul, this would be easy to fix. ARRS is by far the best road-bridge combo out there but it looks terrible in classic graphics.
Licenses for my work...
Zoeff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoeff »

Does TaI UK Houses still limit time growth as mentioned here on reddit?
GuilhermeJK wrote:TaI is the only one without a "Keep original houses" parameter among the three, so in theory it would be possible. Although, creating it in NFO tastes bitter to me :D. I would rather, if authorised, recreate all sets in one giant NML, or three NMLs. I won't be making heavy modifications on these three because I have NotRoadType Set I am (sloooowly) working on, so maybe on the future.
Am also in favor for a keep original houses parameter, what I value most of all is diversity and not so much replacing the vanilla housing set. A collection of them all in a single NewGRF in NML would be amazing as well! :D

Return to “Graphics Releases”