Scots Town Names

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dabug
Engineer
Engineer

Scots Town Names

Post by Dabug »

Just in time for St Andrews Day, Scots Town Names - my first grf!

This generates names by combining Scots name elements. Many are taken from the Scots Words and Place Names database http://swap.nesc.gla.ac.uk/database/, as well as a few other sources. I also included some common Scots Gaelic elements that are common in names all over Scotland (Aber-, Inver-,...) and some Pictish elements common in my area (Fife). This is by no means a detailed study of Scottish place names, you can find works on that subject if you so wish, and it is a complicated subject. It is just a wee bit of fun.

This version has some problems I am aware of, and probably several more I am not. There are some elements that can appear as both name startings and endings, so you could get things like 'Barnbarns'. It might also create doubled letters at the element boundary. I might figure out a way to make the generation a little more clever - right now it just sticks together pieces. There are also a lot of town names based on personal names and other elements which I haven't included yet.

But by reading through the online tutorial I was able to get it to compile correctly (after a couple of tries), and that is satisfying for tonight.
Attachments
ScotsTownNames0.1.0.grf
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Scots Town Names

Post by supermop »

Cool! I always love to see these procedural name grfs, nice to get plausible but non-real names that scale to various map sizes. ( I use Finnish names most games, which has a rather short static list - I can't tell you how many 'Malmi Transport" saves I've ended up with over the years...). Scots names would give me enough of a removal from my typical normal world while still giving me random names I can make sense of.

Is it on Bananas yet?

Thanks!

Return to “Graphics Releases”