Aboriginal Australian Town Names

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Aboriginal Australian Town Names

Post by Redirect Left »

Hello!

I found some spare time, and thought, what do I like the most that I can't find in OpenTTD? I'm a big fan of Australia, and its natives interest me, I then realised I'd never come across a native aboriginal town name GRF, so I set to doing it.

This includes around 475 different names, all of which are actual aboriginal named towns, villages, cities, areas, etc from all over Australia. From 'Geelong' and 'Canberra', to 'Kurri Kurri' & 'Kangy Angy'. The GRF has a nice range of names, from the serious ones, to the quite amusing ones. Unlike other Australian named sets, this one uses only aboriginal named ones. There is a list of all names in the set here if you're interested. Have I missed a bunch? Let me know, i'll add them all!

It's on BaNaNas called 'Australian Aboriginal Town Names', or below, if I have made any typos (it's likely) just let me know and I'll see if I can fix it. I've tested it on my local install and it all seems to work fine. So I'm hoping it's all done sorted, the magic of NML!

If this actually gets used and the 475ish names proves too limiting, i might see if its possible to make another version with a switch to activate a bunch of additional not actual aboriginal names but sound a bit like it, if I can find a bunch of common suffixes and prefix names that can be linked together randomly, or include names commonly thought of as Aboriginal by Australians, but are not, such as 'Menai' in New South Wales, which is often thought to be Aboriginal, but it's actually Welsh.
As a note, I used the swiss town source as a clue of where to start.
Attachments
aus_native_names.grf
(5.03 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
WWTBAM

Re: Aboriginal Australian Town Names

Post by WWTBAM »

I would like to point out that some if not all of those names are the anglicised or misheard spellings of Aboriginal names. For example the Aboriginal name for Parramatta is actually burramattagul or something similar.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Aboriginal Australian Town Names

Post by Redirect Left »

roboboy wrote:I would like to point out that some if not all of those names are the anglicised or misheard spellings of Aboriginal names. For example the Aboriginal name for Parramatta is actually burramattagul or something similar.
They are taken from wikipedia or maps. If you'd like to give me the original spellings, then i'll see if its possible to make a switch to change between anglicised and original.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Graphics Releases”