Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2654
By request I just released 2.0-alpha1. It contains a lot of new vehicles, some redrawing, and various bug fixes. I will not post the complete changelog, as it is quite long.

The new version is on Bananas and attached to the first post.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
I've got a question: Where did you get data like the amount of power supplied by the vehicle or the weight of the vehicle, or did you estimate / calculate it to work with OpenTTD? And how about balancing the costs, how did you do that?

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 am
Posts: 11103
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Most data come from wikipedia or railfaneurope or from manufacturer's datasheets or from other railway sites. Some data that were impossible to find are calculations, some are guesstimates based on comparable engines or similar.

Costs are done by a built-in formula, Transportman can explain this better.

_________________
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:24 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2654
Voyager One wrote:
Most data come from wikipedia or railfaneurope or from manufacturer's datasheets or from other railway sites. Some data that were impossible to find are calculations, some are guesstimates based on comparable engines or similar.

Indeed, that.

Quote:
Costs are done by a built-in formula, Transportman can explain this better.

It is not really built-in (although I do have something like that planned one day), but it is indeed just a formula based on several vehicle properties. If you really want to know the specifics, I can write it out completely.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:23 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
Transportman wrote:
Voyager One wrote:
Most data come from wikipedia or railfaneurope or from manufacturer's datasheets or from other railway sites. Some data that were impossible to find are calculations, some are guesstimates based on comparable engines or similar.

Indeed, that.

Quote:
Costs are done by a built-in formula, Transportman can explain this better.

It is not really built-in (although I do have something like that planned one day), but it is indeed just a formula based on several vehicle properties. If you really want to know the specifics, I can write it out completely.

I would love to hear about it. Maybe send it to me in PM, to prevent derailing the topic. Thanks in advance.
Is power also done through a calculation?

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:53 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 am
Posts: 11103
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Erato wrote:
Is power also done through a calculation?

Nope, power is provided by fixed entry. Go here and see what I mean, this is an example of which data I provide when drawing/adding something.

_________________
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
Voyager One wrote:
Erato wrote:
Is power also done through a calculation?

Nope, power is provided by fixed entry. Go here and see what I mean, this is an example of which data I provide when drawing/adding something.

How do you estimate the power when you have absolutely nothing to compare it with?

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:13 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 am
Posts: 11103
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
On most occasions it is already mentioned somewhere. On some occasions I guesstimate it according to similar engines.


On some occasions for steamers I calculate it based on this formula:

P = 2 * p * l * a * n * 0,85 / 33000

Where P is power in HP, p is boiler pressure in psi, l is piston stroke in inches, a is piston area in square inches, n is revolutions per minute, 0,85 is a somewhat "standard" coefficient for "efficiency".

Similar formulas can be found for diesel/electric engines but so far I've had no need for them, steamers are sometimes problematic.

EDIT: Here's something you might be interested in... Factors are labeled somewhat different but it's the same story.

http://s159928592.onlinehome.us/html/es ... ngine.html

_________________
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:22 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2654
Erato wrote:
Transportman wrote:
Voyager One wrote:
Most data come from wikipedia or railfaneurope or from manufacturer's datasheets or from other railway sites. Some data that were impossible to find are calculations, some are guesstimates based on comparable engines or similar.

Indeed, that.

Quote:
Costs are done by a built-in formula, Transportman can explain this better.

It is not really built-in (although I do have something like that planned one day), but it is indeed just a formula based on several vehicle properties. If you really want to know the specifics, I can write it out completely.

I would love to hear about it. Maybe send it to me in PM, to prevent derailing the topic. Thanks in advance.

No need to PM it, I looked it up again (as it was quite some time since I actually implemented it), it is basically the following equation:
Base * the sum of ( PropertyBase * PropertyValue ^ PropertyExponent ).

The properties used are:
Weight
Maximum speed
Power
Cargo capacity
TE

You can look at this sheet for further information. It is an older version of the vehicle sheet, I should still update it with the new vehicles, but does contain the equations used.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:58 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
Voyager One wrote:
On most occasions it is already mentioned somewhere. On some occasions I guesstimate it according to similar engines.


On some occasions for steamers I calculate it based on this formula:

P = 2 * p * l * a * n * 0,85 / 33000

Where P is power in HP, p is boiler pressure in psi, l is piston stroke in inches, a is piston area in square inches, n is revolutions per minute, 0,85 is a somewhat "standard" coefficient for "efficiency".

Similar formulas can be found for diesel/electric engines but so far I've had no need for them, steamers are sometimes problematic.

EDIT: Here's something you might be interested in... Factors are labeled somewhat different but it's the same story.

http://s159928592.onlinehome.us/html/es ... ngine.html

Thanks for the effort, but I want to know for maglev trains what the power is in kW/MW. And your pack seems rather balanced, so I figured you'd know for everything.

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:24 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Eastern KY
For maglevs just go with the direct electric conversion.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
kamnet wrote:
For maglevs just go with the direct electric conversion.
What is the direct electric conversion? Wikipedia talks about nuclear fusion.

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:50 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Eastern KY
Erato wrote:
kamnet wrote:
For maglevs just go with the direct electric conversion.
What is the direct electric conversion? Wikipedia talks about nuclear fusion.


Transportman said there were similar formulas for electric. Use that for your maglevs.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 am 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
kamnet wrote:
Erato wrote:
kamnet wrote:
For maglevs just go with the direct electric conversion.
What is the direct electric conversion? Wikipedia talks about nuclear fusion.


Transportman said there were similar formulas for electric. Use that for your maglevs.


I've been looking for these formulas, but I couldn't find them :| You wouldn't happen to know the formulas or know where they are, would you?

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2654
I think for the Maglevs I do not have a value, I probably just grabbed them from the old set.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:54 am 
Offline
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Posts: 323
Location: The Netherlands
Transportman wrote:
I think for the Maglevs I do not have a value, I probably just grabbed them from the old set.

And as for the electric engines?

EDIT: The problem is kinda like this: if I use real physics on this, the Transrapid 08 would have a power of 5033 kW, and the Linimo would have a power of 697kW... Of course... I had not been comparing the trains with the most modern of trains, which DO have that kind of acceleration.

NVM, I found it. Sorry to have bothered you

EDIT2: then comes the next question. In the absence of a value for the acceleration and/or the mass, what do you do?

_________________
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:56 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 46
I've found a bug. The 3rd gen boxcar (type 2) shows the graphics of the 3rd gen boxcar (type 1) when refitted to fish and alcohol. Also I find the 5th gen super heavy flatcar only being able to carry goods a little odd. And it's capacity of 99 renders it obsolete next to the 5th gen heavy flatcar carrying 84 and being nearly a third of it's length. But these are only small bugs in what is the best trainset in Openttd. Keep up the good work!


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:26 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2654
Diesel Power wrote:
I've found a bug. The 3rd gen boxcar (type 2) shows the graphics of the 3rd gen boxcar (type 1) when refitted to fish and alcohol. Also I find the 5th gen super heavy flatcar only being able to carry goods a little odd. And it's capacity of 99 renders it obsolete next to the 5th gen heavy flatcar carrying 84 and being nearly a third of it's length. But these are only small bugs in what is the best trainset in Openttd. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the reports, I made issues for them to keep track of them.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:53 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:05 pm
Posts: 46
Just spotted the 4th Gen box cars do the same thing. The 5th Gen box cars, the graphics are swapped for all cargoes


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:26 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 pm
Posts: 3886
Skype: neko-master
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA
I'd like to thank Transportman and all the artists of 2cc Trains for making this set a possibility. Its always nice to have a variety of locomotives to play with :D

As I'm working on my own GRF set for OpenTTD, NARS Add-on Set, I was wondering if it'd be ok to use sprites from the 2cc Train Set. I understand giving credit and I believe I need to have my set licensed under the same license as 2cc Set (Which I believe is GPL v2?)

_________________
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2018 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2018.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.