ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [1.2.0 Released 01/03/2020]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [1.2.0 Released 01/03/2020]

Post by BobDendry »

Project NSW - New South Wales Town Names 1.2.0

01/03/2020: a new version of the ProjectNSW Town Names releases today. This release merges further public domain datasets into the town name list to provide an even bigger list of possible town names!

The total number of town names in the All Localities name option now sits at 4,692, an increase of 333 on the last release. Please note there is no change to the Station Names Only name option in this release.

You can find the set in Bananas as well as on the github repo

05/12/2019: a new version of the ProjectNSW NSW Town Names releases today. This update removes a few incorrect and redundant names, but also includes some brand new functionality.

The pack as it was originally released contains over 4,000 places names in NSW, which should give the user a whole lot of variety and keeps the game fresh - and this set up absolutely remains. However, for those familiar with the railways of NSW I've decided to add the option for the player to only use NSW place names that have real life train stations on them.

Ingame, you'll now see two Town names options:
  • NSW (All Localities): this is the "classic set up with thousands of possible names included. There are 4,359 names included in this option.
  • NSW (Station Names Only): this is the new setting, which features 360 town names which have, or in the past have been home to real life stations. This list will likely be expanded to include more town names relating to closed train lines in the future.
townnameoptions.png
townnameoptions.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
You can find the set in Bananas as well as on the github repo - moving forward I will be working on and releasing any future OTTD graphics or other sets through open source.

Original Post: It's been a while since I've contributed to the TT community, however I definitely haven't forgotten that everyone exists. I've just released a new version of the ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names Set. I'm gradually in the process of moving all of my projects over to an easier development solution that should be much more modular to work on and hopefully quicker to develop.

Enough about that, though. I've compiled over 4000 real life NSW town names for use in your OTTD games. These names contain everything from your well known names (Sydney, Manly, Bondi, Parramatta) to the randomest names imaginable (Kynnumboon?).

I've compiled the names from a free data source based on postcode data, so you might see some random town names in there (such as towns named after shopping centres!). I've put a lot of effort into removing these as well as variations on town names (North Sydney, West Ryde etc etc) however there's sure to be a few left in there. Feel free to drop by the thread and let me know so I can get it fixed for the next release.

It's been good fun to be back into the game. I hope you enjoy using this in your games!
Last edited by BobDendry on 01 Mar 2020 07:08, edited 4 times in total.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [Released 30/01/18!]

Post by BobDendry »

Hi All

version 0.8.0 of this GRF is out! Check it out in the main post or through the OTTD Content Manager.

Lach
Formerly known as Lachie
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [Released 30/01/18!]

Post by BobDendry »

ProjectNSW Place Names v1.0.0 releases today. This update features a few miscellaneous fixes to remove duplication of some places names with a "Heights" or "Bay" suffix, as well as the removal of some place names that were purely Australia Post mail distribution centres.

Check it out in the main post, or through the OTTD content manager.
Formerly known as Lachie
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [1.1.0 Released 05/12/19!]

Post by BobDendry »

v1.1.0 of the ProjectNSW NSW Town Names releases today. This update removes a few incorrect and redundant names, but also includes some brand new functionality.

The pack as it was originally released contains over 4,000 places names in NSW, which should give the user a whole lot of variety and keeps the game fresh - and this set up absolutely remains. However, for those familiar with the railways of NSW I've decided to add the option for the player to only use NSW place names that have real life train stations on them.

Ingame, you'll now see two Town names options:
  • NSW (All Localities): this is the "classic set up with thousands of possible names included. There are 4,359 names included in this option.
  • NSW (Station Names Only): this is the new setting, which features 360 town names which have, or in the past have been home to real life stations. This list will likely be expanded to include more town names relating to closed train lines in the future.
townnameoptions.png
townnameoptions.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
You can find the set in Bananas, attached to this thread, as well as on the github repo - moving forward I will be working on and releasing any future OTTD graphics or other sets through open source.
Formerly known as Lachie
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ProjectNSW - New South Wales Town Names [1.2.0 Released 01/03/2020]

Post by BobDendry »

Version 1.2.0 of the ProjectNSW Town Names releases today. This release merges further public domain datasets into the town name list to provide an even bigger list of possible town names!

The total number of town names in the All Localities name option now sits at 4,692, an increase of 333 on the last release. Please note there is no change to the Station Names Only name option in this release.

You can find the set in Bananas as well as on the github repo
Formerly known as Lachie

Return to “Graphics Releases”