Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kamnet's Town Names
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I've finally gotten the bug to develop a town name set (and maybe some more), and dive into the world of NML. This will be a release thread for all of the Town Name NewGRFs that I create. Please enjoy and add feedback!

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

Last edited by kamnet on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Kentucky Town Names v1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

A list of most known named places in Kentucky, including 425 current cities, 24 unincorporated communities, 7 cities merged out of existence, and 35 cities that were dissolved or disincorporated. This information is current as of February 4, 2014, as provided by the Kentucky Secretary of State.

This set is released into Public Domain.

This download is available via the OpenTTD in-game content download service, BaNaNaS:
http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-1.tar.gz

Attachments:
File comment: Full source code and documentation.
KYNames-source.tar [29.5 KiB]
Downloaded 150 times

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

Post subject: Re: Kamnet's Town Names
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:40 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I had a bug bite me to make a grf for town names of my native Pacific Northwest. I personally define that as being Washington, Idaho, and Oregon. To that end, I have compiled a list of town names, 1111 to be precise. I would like to turn this list over to you to apply your grf magic to, because I haven't the faintest idea where to start. I know where about 95% of these places are, and I've been to about 75% of them. What do you think?

Attachments:
NWTowns.txt [12.25 KiB]
Downloaded 175 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

thaddeusthudpucker wrote:
I had a bug bite me to make a grf for town names of my native Pacific Northwest. I personally define that as being Washington, Idaho, and Oregon. To that end, I have compiled a list of town names, 1111 to be precise. I would like to turn this list over to you to apply your grf magic to, because I haven't the faintest idea where to start. I know where about 95% of these places are, and I've been to about 75% of them. What do you think?

I think I can do that!

This download is available via the OpenTTD in-game content download service, BaNaNaS:
http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-1.tar.gz

Attachments:
File comment: Full source code and documentation.
PacNWUSANames-source.tar [50.5 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

very cool, but Iowa isn't in the PacNW... (open it up from the in-game download service and you'll see.

I have been to Iowa, and it certainly is no Idaho!

Thank you for compiling it, I wasn't expecting it to be overnight lol!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Oops, mistyped! I'll correct it here shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I compiled the 100 most populous places of each of the 50 U.S. states to the attached lists. Most of the informations I found on Wikipedia. If the informations there weren´t enough, I searched for other sites with demographic statistics.
Nevertheless I could find only 57 places in Delaware, and 39 in Rhode Island. After adding Washington, DC the first list contains 4897 town names including their state abbreviations.
The second list doesn´t contain the state abbreviations of the places. Several town names appear multiple times in the list, because there are towns with the same names in different states. Deleting these multiple names (leaving 1 of them in the list) made the list shrink to 3919 town names.

Both of them are more than enough, even for the 2048x2048 game area.

Would you make the lists available for download in bananas, please? The shorter list would be ok for me, but both would be nicer... ;)

Thank you in advance... :)

Attachments:
File comment: 4897 USA Town Names
USA Town Names with States.txt [75.73 KiB]
Downloaded 137 times
File comment: 3919 USA Town Names
USA Town Names without States.txt [43.26 KiB]
Downloaded 138 times

Post subject: Crass UK Town Names
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:14 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Inspired by the request of a user on Reddit (see: http://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comment ... ld_make_a/).

A list of crass, rude, silly or otherwise inappropriate names of real towns in the United Kingdom. Derived from the famous Strumpshaw, Tincleton & Giggleswick's "Marvellous Map of Great Britsh Place Names" (http://www.stghq.com/).

This set is released into the Public Domain.

http://binaries.openttd.org/bananas/new ... s-2.tar.gz

Attachments:
CrassUKNames-source.tar [52 KiB]
Downloaded 83 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

kamnet wrote:
A list of crass, rude, silly or otherwise inappropriate names of real towns in the United Kingdom.

Nicely done, definitely using this in my next game :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:41 am 
Engineer
Engineer

V8-Biker wrote:
I compiled the 100 most populous places of each of the 50 U.S. states to the attached lists. Most of the informations I found on Wikipedia. If the informations there weren´t enough, I searched for other sites with demographic statistics.
Nevertheless I could find only 57 places in Delaware, and 39 in Rhode Island. After adding Washington, DC the first list contains 4897 town names including their state abbreviations.
The second list doesn´t contain the state abbreviations of the places. Several town names appear multiple times in the list, because there are towns with the same names in different states. Deleting these multiple names (leaving 1 of them in the list) made the list shrink to 3919 town names.

Both of them are more than enough, even for the 2048x2048 game area.

Would you make the lists available for download in bananas, please? The shorter list would be ok for me, but both would be nicer... ;)

Thank you in advance... :)

Just an idea...maybe these can serve as a basis for regional U.S. packs? Then you wouldn't run into issues with Rhode Island (my home state :)) and Delaware as they could be in the New England and Mid-Atlantic region groups, respectively. Regardless, thanks for these great names! So glad that there are still North American mods being made!

Post subject: Random Andean Town Names
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Per a Reddit /r/OpenTTD request from Baboquivary, this is the release for Random Andean Town Names.

A list of randomizable Andean town names. It is mostly based off of city names in Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Ecuador, and is designed to create mostly four-syllable names. Released into Public Domain. GRF and source code are available for download below.

Attachments:
RandomAndeanNames.tar [55.5 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times