NightGFX Base Graphics Set [Updated 2021-04-01]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: NightGFX Base Graphics Set

Post by kamnet »

praguzz wrote:
kamnet wrote:Cindini 3 with NightGFX
cindini-3-nightgfx.png
Somebody, give electricity to those poor houses :D
If you look really close, you do see one solitary window lit up.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hmm, there must be a curfew in that neighborhood :D
Zuu wrote:A bit late, but I do use musa on Windows. However not to upload base sets nor NewGRF. Only scenario, game scripts and AI (Beginner Tutorial).
Well, maybe it only works for certain things then. I haven't tried to upload anything else, so maybe I'll still try it with a NewGRF next time I need to upload one. :)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Alright - I've been meaning to try this for a while, and finally was able to spend about 40 minutes playing a small map with it last night. Here are my comments!

- It's pretty dark! Not a problem, but 5-10% lighter might be a bit easier to play with and look interesting!
- More tall things should have red flashing lights - currently it seems only the transmitter and airports do. Adding these to smokestacks, cooling towers, and maybe other tall isolated structures or buildings could be a good way to better find remote industries in the dark as well as add variety to cityscapes.
- The Dash DMU has red taillights on both the front driving end as well as the rear. Didn't play with any other trains yet.
- I know this would be very labor intensive, but a few types of light other than windows could help. Oil refineries are most beautiful at night, with lots of lights all over the structure, maybe leaving patches of tanks, pipes, and towers light could replicate this effect? Floodlights on the facades of certain city buildings as well.
- Maybe add the dim blue lights that line airport taxiways? I know these are intended not to be seen from above in real life, but could add interest.

Are you looking for people to work on painting or touching up batches of sprites for this?

Best,
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it :)
supermop wrote:- It's pretty dark! Not a problem, but 5-10% lighter might be a bit easier to play with and look interesting
Good point. This is something I went back and forth on a lot - whether it was too dark or not. I agree it may be a bit dark at times, but as you say, it should still be playable. It's just a lot of work to lighten everything by 10%, so unless I get really ambitious, or a lot of complaints about it being unbearable, I might have to pass on this ;)
supermop wrote:- More tall things should have red flashing lights - currently it seems only the transmitter and airports do. Adding these to smokestacks, cooling towers, and maybe other tall isolated structures or buildings could be a good way to better find remote industries in the dark as well as add variety to cityscapes.
Another good point. I was thinking about putting flashing red lights on the power plant cooling towers and the refinery smokestacks, I just never did. I agree it might help make it more interesting. All in all I went a little conservative on the flashy stuff to make things go a little quicker, and certainly some more details can be added.
supermop wrote:- The Dash DMU has red taillights on both the front driving end as well as the rear. Didn't play with any other trains yet.
I knew someone would point that out ;) On that particular train the lights were already drawn red, so I just kept it that way because it looked different. The metro trains reuse the same graphics for both directions, so having headlights and taillights doesn't work, unfortunately, it has to be one or the other. So, maybe just sticking with headlights makes more sense?
supermop wrote:- I know this would be very labor intensive, but a few types of light other than windows could help. Oil refineries are most beautiful at night, with lots of lights all over the structure, maybe leaving patches of tanks, pipes, and towers light could replicate this effect? Floodlights on the facades of certain city buildings as well.
Like I said above, I went with a more conservative approach to the lighting effects so I could progress a little bit quicker. Extra details are always fun, but, as you say, are more labor intensive. It's the same reason why I drew all the windows pretty much the same - I think the set would benefit from having some variation in them, but that takes a lot more time. I'm certainly not against making things more interesting, it just comes down to taking the time to do it :)
supermop wrote:- Maybe add the dim blue lights that line airport taxiways? I know these are intended not to be seen from above in real life, but could add interest.
I never even thought about that! Airports are already probably the most "lively" thing in the game so I didn't think anything was lacking, but now that you point it out I do think it would look good. :)
supermop wrote:Are you looking for people to work on painting or touching up batches of sprites for this?
If you want to work on improving sprites I'm certainly not going to stop you :) There are tons of things that can be improved upon, so help is always welcome!
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Cool! What's the easiest way for me to take one or two buildings at a time to make proposed tweaks to? Do you have png or psd files somewhere?

As for the dash - I figured it would be something like that for the base set sprites, and I can't think of an optimal solution.

I don't know about varying windows two much, other than random mix of yellowish and blueish lights to simulate different types of lightbulbs
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

supermop wrote:Cool! What's the easiest way for me to take one or two buildings at a time to make proposed tweaks to? Do you have png or psd files somewhere?
I don't have any individual files posted anywhere, but in the first post there is a link where you will find the whole source (it's a .7z archive, hopefully that isn't a problem). This contains all of the sprites, so you can take your pick of what looks the most interesting. :)
supermop wrote:I don't know about varying windows two much, other than random mix of yellowish and blueish lights to simulate different types of lightbulbs
That's all it takes really. :)
Glassboy2016
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glassboy2016 »

OpenTTD Nightly.JPG
(144.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hi, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am trying to play OpenTTD v1.6.1 using the NightGFX Base graphics set, but I keep getting an error message when I load the game about missing sprites. It says that I need to update the base graphics set, but I've tried doing this without success. Which means that I am obviously not doing it correctly.
OpenTTD Nightly Town.JPG
(254.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And this is what the game looks like if I try to play, it is half day & half night.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baseset only replaces the default set sprites. It does not replace sprites that you load from a NewGRF. For a total blackout, do not load any NewGRF.

As for missing sprites, a few Gui sprites were added, probably the NightGFX baseset has not been updated.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Indeed, it is likely GUI sprites that have been updated in versions of OpenTTD created since NightGFX was released back in 2013. It should still be usable, though, since OpenGFX's base sprite set should provide any of the missing GUI sprites and that shouldn't interfere with playing the game.

As the first thread in the topic clearly states, NightGFX is not intended to be used with any other NewGRF sets, as at the time nobody else had released any night-based themes to complement it. That is still the case today.
Glassboy2016
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glassboy2016 »

I new it would be something simple that makes me look totally stupid, if only I had read this thread properly :oops:

Yes, removing all of the new GRF's has fixed the problem. I still get the message about missing sprites, but I don't care as the game plays perfectly anyway.

So thank you all for helping me :D
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

kamnet wrote:since OpenGFX's base sprite set should provide any of the missing GUI sprites and that shouldn't interfere with playing the game.
It would? :shock:

How exactly does that work then? OpenGFX is the baseset, how does it get OpenGFX as baseset too?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alberth wrote:
kamnet wrote:since OpenGFX's base sprite set should provide any of the missing GUI sprites and that shouldn't interfere with playing the game.
It would? :shock:

How exactly does that work then? OpenGFX is the baseset, how does it get OpenGFX as baseset too?
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that if a particular base set had missing GUI sprites that the game would look for OpenGFX itself to provide them.

Loading up a game in 1.6.1 with NightGFX, though, despite the warning about missing sprites, I did not notice any sprites missing from the GUI or any of the elements I selected.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

kamnet wrote: Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that if a particular base set had missing GUI sprites that the game would look for OpenGFX itself to provide them.
Yes, I think you are wrong. NightGFX is a base set, so missing sprites CANNOT be provided by OpenGFX because the later is not loaded. NightGFX doesn't have any GUI sprites, so you always will get the "error" message. Missing GUI sprites are provided by openttd.grf (perhaps I'm wrong)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

HGus wrote:
kamnet wrote: Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that if a particular base set had missing GUI sprites that the game would look for OpenGFX itself to provide them.
Yes, I think you are wrong. NightGFX is a base set, so missing sprites CANNOT be provided by OpenGFX because the later is not loaded. NightGFX doesn't have any GUI sprites, so you always will get the "error" message. Missing GUI sprites are provided by openttd.grf (perhaps I'm wrong)
Not quite. A base set needs to provide all GUI sprites. openttd.grf is only part of the original TTD baseset (though it can be argued it might be a better solution to consult it first, and then overwriting it by whatever the baseset provides).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

kamnet wrote:Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that if a particular base set had missing GUI sprites that the game would look for OpenGFX itself to provide them.
Only one baseset is loaded afaik. NightGFX is a baset. Afaik, it can't and won't access another baseset.
kamnet wrote:Loading up a game in 1.6.1 with NightGFX, though, despite the warning about missing sprites, I did not notice any sprites missing from the GUI or any of the elements I selected.
Assuming it copied all Gui sprites while it was created, only the sprites added in the last years can be missing.
Two sprites I remember being added are the window-size icon at the top-right of many windows, and the sprite to delete all text in the edit box.
Maybe there are more.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Alberth wrote:Assuming it copied all Gui sprites while it was created, only the sprites added in the last years can be missing.
Two sprites I remember being added are the window-size icon at the top-right of many windows, and the sprite to delete all text in the edit box.
Maybe there are more.
Do you mean these?
Unnamed, 28th Jan 1950.png
Unnamed, 28th Jan 1950.png (219.74 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The window-resize icon isn't at the top-right, what I meant is the icon with the black rectangle, second from the right, at the top of a window. You can use it to set the default size of the window.

So they do display apparently, probably they get loaded from openttd.grf as fall-back for base-sets that do not supply their own.

Thanks for checking.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

I am not sure if airports preview should be included in a base set. This is the only place where I found a discrepancy. Preview for other transportation is shown in proper dark (bus/lorry/train stations and depots)
Prarningbury Transport, 4th Sep 1950.png
Prarningbury Transport, 4th Sep 1950.png (154.19 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

NightGFX could be updated for it, couldn't it?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

So I went through the OpenGFX changelogs and these were the only sprites added since NightGFX released in 2013:

- All extra zoom gui sprites (I completely forgot that is a thing now)
- The all black sprite (for more height levels maybe?? I can't tell what it does)

So nothing game-breaking as far as I can tell, unless you play with a bigger gui. Never mind, all icons still appear fine anyway...

As for the airport previews, those are included in NightGFX already, but apparently I opted to keep them daytime instead of dark. Maybe that's wrong since nothing else is that way, I don't know. In a perfect world all gui 'previews' would be in 'daylight' to show detail, and so you could see what they are against the other bright gui elements. Actually even a darker gui option would suffice, but that's getting out of scope, and neither will likely happen.

Anyway, if I get a dull moment someday, adding all these sprites shouldn't be hard. If nothing else it will shut up the warnings I guess.

Return to “Graphics Releases”