NightGFX Base Graphics Set [Updated 2021-04-01]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NightGFX Base Graphics Set

Post by Supercheese »

A most impressive set indeed!

Could something be done about the company color selection sprites, though? The nighttime filter is, well, very unhelpful when choosing company colors:
Attachments
Color selection.png
Color selection.png (38.57 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Yeah, I'm VERY impressed. It looks simply awesome! You have done a very good job, and its just the exact amount of dark and all! Lovely!

When people start to make compatible newgrfs, it will be even better!

Have you considered rather making it a replacement for toyland? That would be awesome, and finally give me a reason to play there aswell :p
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Supercheese wrote:A most impressive set indeed!

Could something be done about the company color selection sprites, though? The nighttime filter is, well, very unhelpful when choosing company colors:
Yeah, that's a problem with all the vehicle gui sprites. I don't think there's any way to fix that in the base set though, I'm pretty sure OpenTTD uses the same sprites for the vehicles on the map too. There's a very limited amount of things I can change with a base graphics set, and I don't think that's one of them. I'll check again though just to be sure :)
Trond wrote:Yeah, I'm VERY impressed. It looks simply awesome! You have done a very good job, and its just the exact amount of dark and all! Lovely!

When people start to make compatible newgrfs, it will be even better!

Have you considered rather making it a replacement for toyland? That would be awesome, and finally give me a reason to play there aswell :p
Thanks, it's good to hear the amount of darkness isn't too much :)

You realize this set covers all climates right? Toyland is very much included and in fact I do find it much more bearable to play at night - it really tones things down ;)
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Andrew350 wrote:Okay, since it's now been a full week since the "release", and I'm still having no luck with Bananas, I've thrown in the towel and uploaded the files to my tt-forums site. See the first post for the link.

If someone can pinpoint what in the world I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it's something wrong with the set, or the server is still messed up, or if I'm just completely incompetent when it comes to uploading. Anything is a possibility at this point. :lol: Most likely I have to believe I've done something wrong when making the set, since both OpenGFX and zBase made it fine.
OpenGFX and zBase were uploaded using musa. Afaik every musa user uses linux, so noone knows whether it actually works on windows.

The webinterface had still some issue, which was fixed now. At least I could upload your exact .tar to a test server, so the webinterface should hopefully also work for you now.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

frosch wrote:The webinterface had still some issue, which was fixed now. At least I could upload your exact .tar to a test server, so the webinterface should hopefully also work for you now.
Awesome, you guys rock. 8) I successfully uploaded NightGFX to Bananas :D
frosch wrote:OpenGFX and zBase were uploaded using musa. Afaik every musa user uses linux, so noone knows whether it actually works on windows.
Indeed it doesn't seem to work, for me at least. It's a shame, I was starting to like the idea of musa :)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Only loosely related to this topic, but OpenGFX currently does not appear in the content downloader using OpenTTD 1.3.3.

A bit more on topic: this set is awesome :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Brumi wrote:Only loosely related to this topic, but OpenGFX currently does not appear in the content downloader using OpenTTD 1.3.3.
Drat, the old version doesn't remain available, if one adds a new one with a higher version requirement. I lowered current version to 1.2.0, so that should be available again.
A bit more on topic: this set is awesome :)
It's an interesting change indeed :) Kudo for that.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Andrew350 wrote: Thanks, it's good to hear the amount of darkness isn't too much :)

You realize this set covers all climates right? Toyland is very much included and in fact I do find it much more bearable to play at night - it really tones things down ;)
Yeah, I understand that, I was more thinking it would be nice to ditch toyland completely and make a 'temperate night' to take its place :P

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Trond wrote:
Andrew350 wrote: Thanks, it's good to hear the amount of darkness isn't too much :)

Yeah, I understand that, I was more thinking it would be nice to ditch toyland completely and make a 'temperate night' to take its place :P
Also that is not in the power of a base set. It cannot change vehicle, industry and house names nor available cargos nor change layouts.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

planetmaker wrote: Also that is not in the power of a base set. It cannot change vehicle, industry and house names nor available cargos nor change layouts.
If it was a replacement for Toyland it wouldnt be a base set anyway...

But that was just a 'dream', the set is very nice the way it is, Andrew350 :bow:

Bertrand Russell

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I wonder if this "darkening" action could be ported directly onto OTTD itself ? Except several colors (for lights)... But I guess then we need a new palette ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I wondered the same myself this afternoon, but concluded that it will be virtually impossible for the game to know what is "light" and what is just a bright colour. I bet the street lights use the same colours as the yellow of the trains. And a simple colour swap will also turn on all the lights of all buildings. So I think you always need dedicated sprites as with this set.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:I wondered the same myself this afternoon, but concluded that it will be virtually impossible for the game to know what is "light" and what is just a bright colour. I bet the street lights use the same colours as the yellow of the trains. And a simple colour swap will also turn on all the lights of all buildings. So I think you always need dedicated sprites as with this set.
You would not necessarily need dedicated sprites if one can define "lights" in the sprite, but as the palette doesn't contain "light" or "not-light" it is not possible to do fully automatic "darkening". But a tool to rapidly convert sprites can be beneficial for the conversion of the bulk and then do minor corrections to include "light" in the sprites, but that is still a Photoshop/GIMP and then some coding task.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

There is my proposal of adding some new colours to OTTD palette: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 20&start=8 ;)
I think that the day-night transition should be implemented in OTTD. The NightGFX concept is the "patch" only...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

FooBar wrote:I wondered the same myself this afternoon, but concluded that it will be virtually impossible for the game to know what is "light" and what is just a bright colour. I bet the street lights use the same colours as the yellow of the trains. And a simple colour swap will also turn on all the lights of all buildings. So I think you always need dedicated sprites as with this set.
Adding a few "no darkening" colors to OpenTTD's pallete might help ? I'm not sure how to do that properly, but... could OpenTTD hold new color in it's pallete ? Would something very fundamental needs to be changed that way ?

(this is seems to be how does simutrans handle it... there are several color misuse around, so I expected it.)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

This could be the perfect opportunity to make use of those enigmatic pink colors in the palette. :D
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Those pink colors were due to window's use (I forgot, is it GUI ?). Now as DOS palette is safe to use with windows machines (even NML prefer it more), it's sorta of "gone"...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Andrew350 wrote:
frosch wrote:OpenGFX and zBase were uploaded using musa. Afaik every musa user uses linux, so noone knows whether it actually works on windows.
Indeed it doesn't seem to work, for me at least. It's a shame, I was starting to like the idea of musa :)
A bit late, but I do use musa on Windows. However not to upload base sets nor NewGRF. Only scenario, game scripts and AI (Beginner Tutorial).
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
praguzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by praguzz »

kamnet wrote:Cindini 3 with NightGFX
cindini-3-nightgfx.png
Somebody, give electricity to those poor houses :D

Return to “Graphics Releases”