American Road Replacement Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: American Road Replacement Set

Post by Andrew350 »

I just noticed ARRS hit the 100,000 download mark a little while back, and what a better way to celebrate than by releasing the next version? :mrgreen:

New in Version 2 - Dirt Roads! By default ARRS now supplies dirt and sett-paved roads before 1940. If 1940 isn't your preferred switch date, there's a new parameter available so you can adjust the year in which roads change over from dirt to asphalt. Any year within OpenTTD's range is possible; setting to 0 prevents dirt roads from ever appearing (old behavior), setting to 5000001 means roads will remain dirt forever, and anything in-between.

This version is compatible with previous releases - but be aware that upgrading to this new version in a running game before 1940 won't switch to dirt roads automatically, the grf will fallback to the old behavior, so the asphalt roads will remain. The only way to make previous saves switch to the new behavior is to have newgrf developer tools active and change the newgrf settings, which obviously should only be done with great caution ;).

Let me know what you think, grf is available in first post or on Bananas. Sorry I don't have any screenshots right now, if you have some post 'em!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Andrew350 wrote:New in Version 2 - Dirt Roads!
Wonderful! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Kaiser-NA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kaiser-NA »

Andrew350 wrote:I just noticed ARRS hit the 100,000 download mark a little while back, and what a better way to celebrate than by releasing the next version? :mrgreen:

New in Version 2 - Dirt Roads! By default ARRS now supplies dirt and sett-paved roads before 1940. If 1940 isn't your preferred switch date, there's a new parameter available so you can adjust the year in which roads change over from dirt to asphalt. Any year within OpenTTD's range is possible; setting to 0 prevents dirt roads from ever appearing (old behavior), setting to 5000001 means roads will remain dirt forever, and anything in-between.

This version is compatible with previous releases - but be aware that upgrading to this new version in a running game before 1940 won't switch to dirt roads automatically, the grf will fallback to the old behavior, so the asphalt roads will remain. The only way to make previous saves switch to the new behavior is to have newgrf developer tools active and change the newgrf settings, which obviously should only be done with great caution ;).

Let me know what you think, grf is available in first post or on Bananas. Sorry I don't have any screenshots right now, if you have some post 'em!
HOORAY!

My birthday was on the 11th, so don't mind me as I'm taking this as a birthday present :)

With classes over, I think it's time to start a fresh map chock full of mountains with windy dirt roads going through them!
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

You can change the tunnels for the road?
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Is it possible for roads to have 5 snow transitions as per town buildings and objects? Is it a real pain to code?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SwissFan91 wrote:Is it possible for roads to have 5 snow transitions as per town buildings and objects? Is it a real pain to code?
As far as I know any transitions would be to the groundtile only The road surfaces and sidewalks are determined by the town zones.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

The ground tile and the road surface are all one sprite, and there's no way to query tile height for road sprites, so it's not possible to have multiple snow transitions.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Is it possible to do the following?
When you play in the earlier time (before 1950, when instead of asphalt outside city limits unpaved roads.), when you buy a bus stop on the dirt road, the coating was also the same.
Now looks not very correct. I think many players are seen using this set.
Tropic - 18.png
(547.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Unfortunately there's currently no way to change this, the game automatically uses town roads for all rv stops.

If I could change it, I would. Better yet, if the game could somehow detect the type of road the station was built on and use the proper graphics, then all roadsets would match automatically. But that's probably wishful thinking ;)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Andrew350 wrote:Unfortunately there's currently no way to change this, the game automatically uses town roads for all rv stops.

If I could change it, I would. Better yet, if the game could somehow detect the type of road the station was built on and use the proper graphics, then all roadsets would match automatically. But that's probably wishful thinking ;)
Thanks for the reply, Andrew350. I hope that this situation will be solved someday. :)
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Mochamad Rizal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mochamad Rizal »

Andrew350 wrote:This is a personal project I've been working on since New Years Day, in an effort to make an OpenGFX-based American road set to use in my games. Yes, I know about NARoads, but as far as I can tell it's not made for OpenGFX, and there are a few quirks I've seen in screenshots that bug me. These reasons, among others, were enough for me to start a new set from scratch.
roadspreview2.png
Anyway, as I'm also a fond user of OpenGFX+ Landscape, I've made the set completely compatible with it. If you use the Disable Gridlines feature or even Alpine Climate, American Roads will automatically match the surrounding landscape for a seamless look. There are no extra parameters to bother with, just be sure this GRF is placed BELOW OpenGFX+ Landscape or else it will not work. It will yell at you if you mix that up. ;) Of course, this GRF also works fine without OpenGFX+ Landscape. All climates are supported, as is left hand drive. I've taken some of the bridge sprites from OpenGFX and modified them to work with these roads, which are drawn a little wider than normal. I've also fixed a few alignment errors that exist in some OpenGFX bridges, so everything lines up correctly now. Plus there are a few other changes I've made for compatibility and whatnot.

This set is OpenGFX only. Use of other NewGRFs will be necessary to play with original TTD graphics or you will encounter glitches. I've tested back to OpenTTD 1.0.0 and everything works at least that far back, but I've not tried TTDPatch, as I don't use it. Maybe someone who does can try it.

I guess that's all there is to it, just plug and play. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it. :) American Road Replacement Set can also be found in the online content. Everything is licensed under GPLv2.

NEW! The set now features new tunnel sprites drawn by V453000.

======================

This version is compatible with previous releases - but be aware that upgrading to this new version in a running game before 1940 won't switch to dirt roads automatically, the grf will fallback to the old behavior, so the asphalt roads will remain. The only way to make previous saves switch to the new behavior is to have newgrf developer tools active and change the newgrf settings, which obviously should only be done with great caution ;). Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Also, CLICK HERE for the Total Bridge Renewal Set version modified for these roads, or download it via the online content.
---------------------------------------------------------------
a place to store it in memory tar file or folder where ?? apah in
place .grf file ??
RichardJGE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RichardJGE »

Seeing as the topic arose to the top again, I thought I should at least mention what a superb NewGRF this is. I have used this one since I got OTTD.

Regards,
R.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Mochamad Rizal wrote:a place to store it in memory tar file or folder where ?? apah in place .grf file ??
Just download it directly from the in-game Online Content Download service (from the main menu). It will automatically install it in the proper directory.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Too bad the bridge GRFs never fully support this kind of new stuff
RichardJGE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RichardJGE »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Too bad the bridge GRFs never fully support this kind of new stuff
The TBRS does.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Not from what I can see. It only supports the normal american roads. Not these dirt paths.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No bridge set supports NewGRF roads. TBRS and others have to be drawn using a specific road surface, which is why there are a half dozen releases of TBRS for each type of road set out there.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

A solution would be to have a "Roadtypes" GRF Specification similar to "Railtypes". I am not holding my breath.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

For what its worth, it is possible for a single version of TBRS to detect which roadset is in use and change graphics accordingly. However with such a wide variety of roadsets and options it would make the resulting NewGRF much more complicated and larger than it needs to be; not to mention you'd have to contact/convince all of the authors of those sets to put their work into one cohesive set (which in some cases, probably isn't going to happen). I think that's why nobody has taken the time to undertake such a project: too much work for too little benefit, and you can already get the version you want with a little searching.

At least in the case of the ARRS version of TBRS I've thought about adding the dirt versions. Making the graphics for it is easy, doing the coding for it is another problem. ;) A while back I started a whole new bridge set from scratch to help learn some NFO, but aside from implementing some basic bridges my NFO knowledge is minimal, so building a set capable of switching graphics and all that is a little out of my range for now.

But, maybe someday. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:At least in the case of the ARRS version of TBRS I've thought about adding the dirt versions.
Having driven across bridges all over the US and Canada, I have yet to encounter a deck made of dirt. It would seem that a stiff surface such as wood, metal or concrete is the material of choice. 8)

Return to “Graphics Releases”