American Road Replacement Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Re: American Road Replacement Set

Post by DC-1 »

Andrew350 wrote:Thanks everyone! :)
Here it is as promised, the Total Bridge Renewal Set version 1.2 for use with ARRS:
:bow:
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Andrew350 wrote:
Here it is as promised, the Total Bridge Renewal Set version 1.2 for use with ARRS:
finishedbridges.png
I've attached the grf file here, but it's also available via the online content. Enjoy :)
Excellent work :)) . Thank you very much :)) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

Nice addition! This increases use of grf for me at least.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Very well done !!

The only thing I need to rethink now is the overly useful parking spaces from the Canadian Station Set which only match the North American Road Set.

Hmmm - what to do?
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Nite Owl wrote:Very well done !!

The only thing I need to rethink now is the overly useful parking spaces from the Canadian Station Set which only match the North American Road Set.

Hmmm - what to do?
In addition I would like to see the dirt roads as in the North American Road Set.
In it, they were up to the 1950s, and then asphalt road. If you put in will be just fine :)) .
And best of all bear the dirt roads as a separate type of roads :wink: . The dream of a long-standing simple.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

STD wrote:In addition I would like to see the dirt roads as in the North American Road Set.
In it, they were up to the 1950s, and then asphalt road. If you put in will be just fine .
And best of all bear the dirt roads as a separate type of roads . The dream of a long-standing simple.
I'm sorry STD, but I was never planning on putting dirt roads into the set. I would do it if there were proper roadtypes, but that isn't going to happen, at least not for a while. So for now, it will have to stay a dream, unfortunately.
Nite Owl wrote:The only thing I need to rethink now is the overly useful parking spaces from the Canadian Station Set which only match the North American Road Set.

Hmmm - what to do?
I'm not sure if you're actually suggesting something like this or just musing out loud. :P Either way, it's not something I'm going to add to the main set. I still have the idea in the back of my head about doing some kind of add-on with objects and other miscellaneous stuff, but no plans for actually doing it myself anytime in the near future.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Andrew350 wrote:
STD wrote:In addition I would like to see the dirt roads as in the North American Road Set.
In it, they were up to the 1950s, and then asphalt road. If you put in will be just fine .
And best of all bear the dirt roads as a separate type of roads . The dream of a long-standing simple.
I'm sorry STD, but I was never planning on putting dirt roads into the set. I would do it if there were proper roadtypes, but that isn't going to happen, at least not for a while. So for now, it will have to stay a dream, unfortunately.
Nite Owl wrote:The only thing I need to rethink now is the overly useful parking spaces from the Canadian Station Set which only match the North American Road Set.

Hmmm - what to do?
I'm not sure if you're actually suggesting something like this or just musing out loud. :P Either way, it's not something I'm going to add to the main set. I still have the idea in the back of my head about doing some kind of add-on with objects and other miscellaneous stuff, but no plans for actually doing it myself anytime in the near future.
Well, why not parking lots in general as an object? They would not only be handy for train stations, but perhaps for larger bus terminals as well. Airports obviously could also use them as well.

For what it is worth, there is a GRF that removes the roofs and walls from truck/bus stations and looks like a parking lot. That GRF plays nicely with this set.
ARRS bus station without roofs
ARRS bus station without roofs
arrs lots.png (37.44 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
The peninsulas of sidewalks is OK, as it provides a "safety zone" to walk to one's bus. I think the CTA has some terminals somewhat like this.
Without Trains America Stops

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Well, why not parking lots in general as an object? They would not only be handy for train stations, but perhaps for larger bus terminals as well. Airports obviously could also use them as well.
I'm not doubting their usefulness, it's just not on my radar to draw them at the moment. I have other ideas for objects as well, and it may all end up as an add-on set or parameter at some point, but unless someone wants to try it themselves, it'll have to wait until I'm ready and have some time for it. :)
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Hell000

I have tried your newGRF, loaded also the bridges to make it extra nice, but when I built a tunnel I was quite disappointed. Firstly because the original opengfx tunnels themselves look(ed) seriously terrible, secondly because your extra-large tunnel is looking very off-set to the behind. The pixels on the rear side simply are missing to make it seemingly centered.

With that, I have redrawn OpenGFX tunnels (not sure when that will be included), but you can happily use them if you follow GPLv2

... you just need to replace the road in it, or give me road sprites to do that :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... tunnel.png

Here they are! I also started to draw the wide version but it just looks strange when there is no ground in the behind. On demand after a discussion I might make them or give you the source of them, but for now this is what I got

Regarding snowy tunnels, I intend to edit the opengfx snow because the current one looks dirty and super ugly, so I would eventually add snowy tunnels after/at the same time that happens.

V453000
ImageImageImage
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I do like those tunnels more than the current ones. :) The only thing is, they will have the same offset problem when they are widened (and I do/would like them a little wider than normal). I may have to try narrowing them by a pixel or two from my originals, and maybe shift them over a pixel on the tile from where they are now to fix some of the off-centered-ness. Or maybe, just maybe, they could be skewed ever so slightly to make the back edge line up a little better without making it too obvious. But, I'm just thinking out loud here, without actually trying it it's hard to tell if any of that would work or not.

In any case, I'd certainly be interested in including them into the set. If you'd be up to drawing the wider version and trying to get it to look a little more centered in the back (which may or may not work) then that would be fine, but if not you can send me over what you started on and I can give it a whack when I find some time. You will of course get full credit for your work either way, it's just up to you how much further you want to go with it. :)

And thanks for offering them up, also looking forward to your other changes!
President
President

As of solving the centering etc. problem, simply adding more tunnel to the right side makes sense and looks good to me.

current progress: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... _wider.png

50% done atm, now for the other 2 views

+ I guess your tunnels are using the ground sprites without gridlines?
ImageImageImage
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Oooh, that looks very good. :) It looks like you've dropped their height a bit as well to help with alignment, or is that just an illusion?

As for the ground sprites, yes, I use the gridless ones as well as the gridded ones for all climates (except toyland).
President
President

That is an illusion as the side "pillars" did become shorter, and the whole thing wider. But the "height" is technically the same as it still comes from the end of the tile

... alright I will provide both options - with and without grid anyway
ImageImageImage
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

It works in toyland, it just re-uses the temperate ground sprites instead of the toyland ones.
President
President

hm yeah, just checked ... well OpenGFX toyland sucks anyway :(
ImageImageImage
President
President

well, back to doing stuff :) I am nearly done with the wide version
ImageImageImage
President
President

Done for now, opengfx issue 5555 :) http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/5555
ImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Do you detect OpenGFX+ Landscape being active and do you check for the gridline parameter to draw the correct version of the tunnels? Or do you plant to implement that?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

planetmaker wrote:Do you detect OpenGFX+ Landscape being active and do you check for the gridline parameter to draw the correct version of the tunnels?
Yes, that was done from the beginning. :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Andrew350 wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Do you detect OpenGFX+ Landscape being active and do you check for the gridline parameter to draw the correct version of the tunnels?
Yes, that was done from the beginning. :)
Ah, excellent :-) Thanks a lot!

Return to “Graphics Releases”