Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 5874
Location: Eastern KY
You'd have to stop the game, save it and reload it.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:37 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:44 am
Posts: 2
kamnet wrote:
You'd have to stop the game, save it and reload it.

That works fine if I reload the game in single player when the game year is 1940 or later, but not in multiplayer. There will still be dirt roads if I save and reload the game in multiplayer after 1940. I found a way to force it to switch to asphalt when the game is loaded in multiplayer since I last posted, but the method can potentially break the game. I will list these steps at the bottom of this post.

I did this with a multiplayer game that had a starting date of 1900, whose current year was 1970 before I did this. Prior to this, the parameter mentioned earlier was set to the default of 1940, but it would never switch to asphalt in multiplayer. However, it switched to asphalt just fine in single player without having to do the steps below.


1. Close OpenTTD and enable the scenario editor if it isn't already enabled.

2. Start OpenTTD and load the save file in question in single player.

3. Open the NewGRF Settings window and change the value for the "Switch to asphalt in year:" parameter for the American Road Replacement Set to 0.

4. Let one in-game day pass, then save the game.

5. Quit the game and load the new save file in multiplayer mode. You should see asphalt roads now, and hopefully the game didn't break in any way.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 212
Andrew350 wrote:
Thanks everyone! :)

Here it is as promised, the Total Bridge Renewal Set version 1.2 for use with ARRS:

finishedbridges.png

I've attached the grf file here, but it's also available via the online content. Enjoy :)


I hope it's not too much trouble to fix this bug...

Image

It showed up when I was using many NewGRFs and so I tested to figure out what was conflicting. As it turns out, the's no conflict, just a horrible bug that appears even when using only ARRS and the Bridge Renewal variation of it...


Attachments:
File comment: OpenGFX-style Roadset's bridges don't play nice with OpenGFX...
Fronburgh Transport, 2100-01-01#1.png [103.92 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

_________________
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
President
President
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am
Posts: 902
Location: Beer
How does that happen? :0 does TBRS redistribute original TTD graphics?

_________________
ImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 212
V453000 :) wrote:
How does that happen? :0 does TBRS redistribute original TTD graphics?


I have no idea. At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.

_________________
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm
Posts: 5000
Location: Canada
SimYouLater wrote:
At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.
I know exactly where you are coming from. Its one of those "been there, done that" things for me. The TBRS code around the recolored bridges is quite messy, but there is a solution to clean it up. Let me know what you want to do and I will gladly help.

_________________
wallyweb on tt-forums: Screenshots - Projects - Releases
wallyweb on Simuscape: Projects - Releases
Other Stuff: TTDPatch 2.6 "Nightly" download - cirdan's OpenTTD branch (New Map Features)
Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 212
wallyweb wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.
I know exactly where you are coming from. Its one of those "been there, done that" things for me. The TBRS code around the recolored bridges is quite messy, but there is a solution to clean it up. Let me know what you want to do and I will gladly help.


Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin. I was going to fix the Modern Waypoints to learn the basics (simple problem apparently, and simple set) but as kamnet took care of that already (wow, that was fast) I really know nothing except that it is made of 2-digit hexadecimal "bits"and they can be edited.

I'll make a graphical screenshot to see which issues are present, I suppose, not sure how far beyond that I can get.

_________________
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm
Posts: 5000
Location: Canada
SimYouLater wrote:
I'll make a graphical screenshot to see which issues are present, I suppose, not sure how far beyond that I can get.
It sounds like you want to learn how to do some work with bridges and of course NFO is required as NML, last I heard, does not do bridges.
I suggest reading my tutorial here. It will give you a background as to what we have to work with before getting into the code.
Send me a PM when you are done and then we can get into the coding.

_________________
wallyweb on tt-forums: Screenshots - Projects - Releases
wallyweb on Simuscape: Projects - Releases
Other Stuff: TTDPatch 2.6 "Nightly" download - cirdan's OpenTTD branch (New Map Features)
Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:03 am
Posts: 4505
Location: home
Before doing any coding, perhaps first understand how we write numbers (ie our numeral system), so there is no mystery any more between binary numbers, decimal numbers, and hexadecimal numbers (all these kinds of numbers are really the exact same thing (a notation for a numeric value), the only difference is in using a different numeral base).

It is also helpful if you understand binary numbers, as they directly map onto bits. Together with knowledge about bytes in computers (8 bits), you can then see how that becomes 2 digits in the hexadecimal number system, and more importantly, why that is a convenient way of writing numbers in NFO language.

_________________
Being a OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Also, other OpenTTD developers may have different opinions.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm
Posts: 212
Alberth wrote:
Before doing any coding, perhaps first understand how we write numbers (ie our numeral system), so there is no mystery any more between binary numbers, decimal numbers, and hexadecimal numbers (all these kinds of numbers are really the exact same thing (a notation for a numeric value), the only difference is in using a different numeral base).

It is also helpful if you understand binary numbers, as they directly map onto bits. Together with knowledge about bytes in computers (8 bits), you can then see how that becomes 2 digits in the hexadecimal number system, and more importantly, why that is a convenient way of writing numbers in NFO language.


Strangely, I already understand the basics of binary and hexadecimal, but not what they mean in NFO...

_________________
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Walter Novotny and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2017 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2017.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.