American Road Replacement Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

bonepants
Engineer
Engineer

Re: American Road Replacement Set

Post by bonepants »

kamnet wrote:You'd have to stop the game, save it and reload it.
That works fine if I reload the game in single player when the game year is 1940 or later, but not in multiplayer. There will still be dirt roads if I save and reload the game in multiplayer after 1940. I found a way to force it to switch to asphalt when the game is loaded in multiplayer since I last posted, but the method can potentially break the game. I will list these steps at the bottom of this post.

I did this with a multiplayer game that had a starting date of 1900, whose current year was 1970 before I did this. Prior to this, the parameter mentioned earlier was set to the default of 1940, but it would never switch to asphalt in multiplayer. However, it switched to asphalt just fine in single player without having to do the steps below.

1. Close OpenTTD and enable the scenario editor if it isn't already enabled.

2. Start OpenTTD and load the save file in question in single player.

3. Open the NewGRF Settings window and change the value for the "Switch to asphalt in year:" parameter for the American Road Replacement Set to 0.

4. Let one in-game day pass, then save the game.

5. Quit the game and load the new save file in multiplayer mode. You should see asphalt roads now, and hopefully the game didn't break in any way.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:Thanks everyone! :)

Here it is as promised, the Total Bridge Renewal Set version 1.2 for use with ARRS:

finishedbridges.png

I've attached the grf file here, but it's also available via the online content. Enjoy :)
I hope it's not too much trouble to fix this bug...

It showed up when I was using many NewGRFs and so I tested to figure out what was conflicting. As it turns out, the's no conflict, just a horrible bug that appears even when using only ARRS and the Bridge Renewal variation of it...
Attachments
Fronburgh Transport, 2100-01-01#1.png
OpenGFX-style Roadset's bridges don't play nice with OpenGFX...
(103.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

How does that happen? :0 does TBRS redistribute original TTD graphics?
ImageImageImage
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

V453000 :) wrote:How does that happen? :0 does TBRS redistribute original TTD graphics?
I have no idea. At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.
I know exactly where you are coming from. Its one of those "been there, done that" things for me. The TBRS code around the recolored bridges is quite messy, but there is a solution to clean it up. Let me know what you want to do and I will gladly help.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

wallyweb wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:At this point I don't feel like decompiling any more NFO and learning it; the difficulty of using it and it's use in too many older NewGRFs (not to mention requirement for certain already-difficult NewGRF functions) has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't feel like touching it. Yes, I know that it's because NML was made later in the history of this game. No, it doesn't make it easier for me to learn how to edit hex.
I know exactly where you are coming from. Its one of those "been there, done that" things for me. The TBRS code around the recolored bridges is quite messy, but there is a solution to clean it up. Let me know what you want to do and I will gladly help.
Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin. I was going to fix the Modern Waypoints to learn the basics (simple problem apparently, and simple set) but as kamnet took care of that already (wow, that was fast) I really know nothing except that it is made of 2-digit hexadecimal "bits"and they can be edited.

I'll make a graphical screenshot to see which issues are present, I suppose, not sure how far beyond that I can get.
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:I'll make a graphical screenshot to see which issues are present, I suppose, not sure how far beyond that I can get.
It sounds like you want to learn how to do some work with bridges and of course NFO is required as NML, last I heard, does not do bridges.
I suggest reading my tutorial here. It will give you a background as to what we have to work with before getting into the code.
Send me a PM when you are done and then we can get into the coding.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Before doing any coding, perhaps first understand how we write numbers (ie our numeral system), so there is no mystery any more between binary numbers, decimal numbers, and hexadecimal numbers (all these kinds of numbers are really the exact same thing (a notation for a numeric value), the only difference is in using a different numeral base).

It is also helpful if you understand binary numbers, as they directly map onto bits. Together with knowledge about bytes in computers (8 bits), you can then see how that becomes 2 digits in the hexadecimal number system, and more importantly, why that is a convenient way of writing numbers in NFO language.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Alberth wrote:Before doing any coding, perhaps first understand how we write numbers (ie our numeral system), so there is no mystery any more between binary numbers, decimal numbers, and hexadecimal numbers (all these kinds of numbers are really the exact same thing (a notation for a numeric value), the only difference is in using a different numeral base).

It is also helpful if you understand binary numbers, as they directly map onto bits. Together with knowledge about bytes in computers (8 bits), you can then see how that becomes 2 digits in the hexadecimal number system, and more importantly, why that is a convenient way of writing numbers in NFO language.
Strangely, I already understand the basics of binary and hexadecimal, but not what they mean in NFO...
Licenses for my work...
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

Amazing roadset Andrew350, I'm not a fan of the yellow centerlines (it's mostly white in Europe), but the fact you provide paved roads and integration with OpenGFX+ Landscape tunnels is reason enough.

Now if only those bridges you teased a couple years ago were a thing. :mrgreen:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

They actually are a thing, take a look at American Bridge Replacement Set.
Gliptal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gliptal »

acs121 wrote:They actually are a thing, take a look at American Bridge Replacement Set.
Thanks. I missed that.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I like the way the American Road Replacement Set looks in the game! :lol: Four Star rating for the set!

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
ARMS!.jpg
(278.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I don't recall what the North American Road set looked like! :lol: The American Set is Excellent!

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
Roads for OpenTTD!.jpg
(297.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

Citizens Are Digging The New Bus! :lol:

Christopher Tarana
Attachments